PDA

View Full Version : Product Review – Celebrating the Impossible – book Chris Parnham & Andrew Withers

Dangermouse
05-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Finally I have it in my hands – the long awaited and long promised DeLorean book from the UK Delorean Owners Club historian Chris Parnham and co-author Andrew Withers that Chris has been working on since 1998.

It’s a huge coffee-table type book, 440+ pages and 9+lbs, measuring about 14x14x2” and comes beautifully packaged in a logo’d box. I was even fortunate enough to have mine signed by the authors as I bought one of the initial batch straight from the UK. Mailing it wasn’t cheap – thanks to forum member mml for all his help.

While it includes many interviews with former employees, the book’s outstanding feature is the huge numbers of previously unseen factory photographs covering every aspect of the cars development and manufacture from underbodies and frames to several photos of the first shipment aboard the Continental Highway. Even the ones you have seen before are reproduced in large format with greater detail than before. the authors had access to what I assume was teh official factory photographer as many of the pictures were taken as production was underway, as opposed to staged PR shots (which are there too, of course)

At the end there are some nods to post factory "modifications" such as RHD cars (one of Chris's personal interests), the BTTF cars (including an interview with the Time Machine Restoration team) and Rich W’s collection. For early car junkies, there is a detailed VIN list of the first few hundred cars

It’s available from DMCH for the price of $120 plus shipping and I understand that they have 500 of the 1500 printed.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10662-delorean-celebrating-the-impossible.aspx

or Amazon for $200+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0992859409/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It definitely has pride of place in my DeLorean library

sdg3205
05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
are they identical from Amazon and DMCH? thats quite a huge price differential.

Domi
05-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I have the book and there are plenty of amazing pictures in it :thumbup:

Dangermouse
05-22-2015, 02:49 PM

I would assume so as there has only been one printing.

Shipping from DMCH is extra, remember, and it's nearly $40 for me, whereas Amazon is almost free.

chris williams
05-22-2015, 03:10 PM
The only difference being is that for Amazon they would be shipped from the UK, DMCH ones are in stock in the US.
I'm sure that ChrisP will be very pleased with your review Dermot, thank you for this, I will pass it on to him.
Chris

MML
05-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Glad it got there safely Dermot! I wrapped it up best I could, I was hoping it wouldn't get damaged on the way.

AussieDMC
06-04-2015, 08:54 PM
I received my copy today. Absolutely fantastic book! A must for any DeLorean owner or admirer. The breadth and depth of it is amazing. Thanks Chris & Andy, I will cherish this book for many years to come.

SS Spoiler
06-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Got my christmas/birthday/fathers day present yesterday.