PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust kit should I get?

RamblinDMC
06-08-2015, 04:40 PM
I want to update my car's exhaust and I see three major kits available.

The one from DMCH
https://store.delorean.com/p-10337-stage-i-exhaust-upgrade.aspx

DPI

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/spec-i-exhaust/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

and Delorean Auto Parts/ SpecialT

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/delorean-parts-kits.html.

I like the setup from spealtauto with the separate mufflers, and it is also the most affordable.

Any thoughts?

Chris 16409
06-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Go with DPI. It has the best warranty. I have been throughly impressed with mine.

Shep
06-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Another vote for a SPEC I exhaust. Those things sell like hotcakes, and am quite happy with my cat-delete variant also.

acaciolo
06-08-2015, 06:30 PM
I have the DPI version also. The sound is great and the extra power is awesome. fit and finish is perfect. my local mechanic installed it. super easy.

Chris Burns
06-08-2015, 08:03 PM
I know someone that made one from Flowmaster exhaust designed for V6 Camaros.

Sounds great and works very well!!

Only cost the owner 150 dollars.

Patrick C
06-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't forget about www.stainless-exhaust.com from the UK. I had the Special T exhaust before I got this. The UK exhaust is much, much, much better and less drone on the highway.

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/wp-content/gallery/exhausts/delorean-with-cats.jpg

RamblinDMC
06-08-2015, 11:16 PM
About how much is the set from stainless exhaust?

How did the Special T exhaust sound? I like that each header has its own muffler and it's further away from the engine. Was it worth the money?

sdg3205
06-09-2015, 12:56 AM
When it comes to upgrades like this, spend the money on the system that sounds and looks the best to you. It's an investment.

I'm a huge DMC advocate because of DMCNW and what it does for local owners as well as what Dave and Julee at DMCMW do for a lot of Canadians here and back east (I always try and support my local vendor), BUT the new boxy muffler isn't for me. I'd have to vote DPI Spec. Josh and his products are top notch.

BABIS
06-09-2015, 06:59 AM
What kind of muffler do you prefer, UK exhaust, Spec 1 or Spec 2? ;)

Patrick C
06-09-2015, 07:28 AM
How did the Special T exhaust sound? I like that each header has its own muffler and it's further away from the engine. Was it worth the money?

With the twin Magnaflow mufflers, the drone on the highway was pretty bad. I sold it in less than a year.

RamblinDMC
06-09-2015, 07:35 AM
I know this might be a bit much to ask, but would any of you mind posting a video of your car running? I've seen Patrick's car on YouTube. Sounds great!

Shep
06-09-2015, 07:53 AM
I know this might be a bit much to ask, but would any of you mind posting a video of your car running? I've seen Patrick's car on YouTube. Sounds great!I do not know if this is how a typical SPEC I exhaust sounds (I've got DPI camshafts also), but here's a video I posted last year of my setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpQT4qNUjc

Volume levels due 100% to the camshafts (otherwise it's as quiet as stock I believe). Anyone have a different sound with a SPEC I setup? Or is it just mine that sounds like this?

Nicholas R
06-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Stainless UK Exhaust. I loved the way it sounded, and also the way it looked. If you go with it, you HAVE to get the polished version. It definitely brightens up the engine bay.

06-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm mid-way through installing my DPI SPEC I exhaust and it gets my vote for sure. Easy to install, amazing quality and it fits like a glove.

alexwolf1216
06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I installed the DPI exhaust too, and its a thing of beauty.

dn010
06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
In the next few days - when I have time really - I will be posting a comparison of UK exhaust VS DPI Spec I. Since I have both, I figured I'd at least put that info out there along with some pictures in order to help one compare.

RamblinDMC
06-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Shep, your car sounds great! That's nearly the exact sound I'm going for. The only mods you've made are the camshaft and exhaust?

I'm now torn between the UK and DPI exhaust.....

Shep
06-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Shep, your car sounds great! That's nearly the exact sound I'm going for. The only mods you've made are the camshaft and exhaust?

I'm now torn between the UK and DPI exhaust.....As far as drivetrain goes, yes, those are the only two mods I've done. There's a lot of other unrelated mods (e.g. footwell lights), but those two alone really make my D a head turner. Literally because of the sound, they hear it before they see it :tongue:

jackb
06-10-2015, 03:16 AM
I have comparison videos of the stock exhaust vs DPI exhaust, with and without cats installed posted in post # 1, 18, 19, and 20 of this thread:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3203-Stock-DPI-Spec-I-back-to-back-comparison-videos&

Delorean Industries
06-10-2015, 03:28 PM
It is a rare occasion. We have all eight configurations of this system in shop as we speak. My audio friends will be making a compilation of all systems. The options are:

SPEC I Manual trans with cats
SPEC I Manual trans without cats (discontinued)
SPEC I Manual trans cat back
SPEC I Manual trans without cats and cams (partially discontinued)
SPEC I auto trans with cats
SPEC I auto trans without cats (discontinued)
SPEC I auto trans without cats and cams (partially discontinued)
SPEC I auto trans cat back

PlutonimicX
06-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Just wondering Josh, is the a price difference now if purchasing one of the discontinued setup?

BABIS
06-10-2015, 07:43 PM
It is a rare occasion. We have all eight configurations of this system in shop as we speak. My audio friends will be making a compilation of all systems. The options are:

do you have a pic of the "cat back" options? :)

Nicholas R
06-10-2015, 08:22 PM

Forgive my ignorance but how does the transmission affect the design of an exhaust?

Delorean Industries
06-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Forgive my ignorance but how does the transmission affect the design of an exhaust?

Not an ignorant question at all Nick. The transmission of power through the five speed/auto, shift points etc directly relates to how the exhaust sounds. All comes down to load at different rpms and throttle. For example: Test pipes on a manual sounds great and is unbearable on an auto. The exhaust is exactly the same minus with or without cats and or cat back only. The variable is the configuration it is attached to.

RamblinDMC
06-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Not an ignorant question at all Nick. The transmission of power through the five speed/auto, shift points etc directly relates to how the exhaust sounds. All comes down to load at different rpms and throttle. For example: Test pipes on a manual sounds great and is unbearable on an auto. The exhaust is exactly the same minus with or without cats and or cat back only. The variable is the configuration it is attached to.

Hi Josh,

Do you mind describing "unbearable?" My county does not require emissions so I wasn't planning on using the cats. Plus I wanted the extra horsepower. My car is an auto, but I plan on swapping to a manual when time/money allows.

Thanks!
Jayce

Delorean Industries
06-11-2015, 01:56 PM
It will rattle your teeth out.

Shep
06-11-2015, 02:15 PM
It will rattle your teeth out.Guess I've got a great dentist then ;)

Delorean Industries
06-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Your car is so loud Shep!

Shep
06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Your car is so loud Shep!Just the way I like it :biggrin:

acaciolo
06-11-2015, 04:46 PM
fyi...I agonized over this decision also. I narrowed it down to DPI and UK. Cost no object, I liked the sound of DPI much better. (some of the DMA members had them on their cars at the '14 dma event, so I could hear them.)

But the fact that the DPI was much less expensive that the UK, made my decision easy. Plus I think it weighs about 20lbs less (not sure of that.)

You'll be happy with either, but personally, I really like the DPI. I drive my car fairly frequently, and it is loud enough to sound good but not too loud to rattle my teeth.

t

dn010
06-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Hopefully this weekend I'll have the comparison of DPI vs UK posted. I prefer DPI, it is just a better built system overall. The only thing that I really liked compared to DPI was the UK exhaust tips, not that DPI is bad, I just preferred the look of the UK one however I can live without it.

Also remember if you do get a UK system and you do have a problem with it, you'll likely get no where even with a "transferable lifetime warranty" like I did. I am still stuck with a rusty UK system laying around my garage that they admitted was from their "worn formers" and still don't want to do anything about it.

Delorean Industries
06-12-2015, 09:44 AM
We have begun to offer a rolled tip add on package. It will be available on our store shortly when ordering a system. Simply check the box. Does cost a little extra.

dn010
06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Nice! I have a few questions on it which I'll email you.

We have begun to offer a rolled tip add on package. It will be available on our store shortly when ordering a system. Simply check the box. Does cost a little extra.

Shep
06-12-2015, 10:22 AM
We have begun to offer a rolled tip add on package. It will be available on our store shortly when ordering a system. Simply check the box. Does cost a little extra.Pics? :)

Delorean Industries
06-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Just the tip :)

dn010
06-12-2015, 10:55 AM
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Now I don't have any complaints whatsoever on this kit. By the way, love your mouse pad :)

Just the tip :)

Delorean Industries
06-12-2015, 11:06 AM
The laminated cover works flawlessly with a wireless mouse. I spent a considerable amount of time going through catalogs before finding the one suited for me.

acaciolo
06-12-2015, 04:59 PM
just the tip....Haven't heard that in a long time.