PDA

View Full Version : Wanted 5spd/Grey int for sale in New England?

JAC
06-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Anyone know what's available? Northeast region preferred so i can check it out personally. I live in CT.

tommyrich
06-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Anyone know what's available? Northeast region preferred so i can check it out personally. I live in CT.

What price range/condition are you looking for? There is a nice one on Long Island for sale just a few posts down from yours in the for sale section. PJ Grady (Rob), also on Long Island, may have ones for sale or at least know of some.
Good luck,
Tom

JAC
06-09-2015, 10:55 AM
What price range/condition are you looking for? There is a nice one on Long Island for sale just a few posts down from yours in the for sale section. PJ Grady (Rob), also on Long Island, may have ones for sale or at least know of some.
Good luck,
Tom

i saw that one.. but 26,500 is a bit out. I wouldn't mind a sub 20K with minor issues

DannonWeb
06-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Hi JAC. I'm based in NH, and have been looking for an '81 5-spd in your same price neighborhood. What I've learned is that this year, being a BTTF anniversary year, prices are inflated. So, as I think Dave from DMCMW put it, right now $20K is the new $12K. I'll admit this is disappointing, unless you already own one - haha. I'm hoping I don't have to wait it out :)

i saw that one.. but 26,500 is a bit out. I wouldn't mind a sub 20K with minor issues

Shep
06-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Hi JAC. I'm based in NH, and have been looking for an '81 5-spd in your same price neighborhood. What I've learned is that this year, being a BTTF anniversary year, prices are inflated. So, as I think Dave from DMCMW put it, right now $20K is the new $12K. I'll admit this is disappointing, unless you already own one - haha. I'm hoping I don't have to wait it out :)Yup. If you're willing to wait, save up money and wait till early spring 2016. If you don't want to wait, you'll need to up your budget unfortunately. "Drives fine with minor work" now means $30K minimum. Anything less is quite a rare find, and is usually snatched up pretty quick.

Good luck.

Shep
06-10-2015, 05:48 AM
Or not:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11903-1982-10054-for-sale-25-000

Have you checked that one out?

DannonWeb
06-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Here's a Craigslist ad for an early run D in MA, although it's black int. He's asking $22k or bo, so maybe you could sneak under that $20k goal. Needs work, but apparently it's running (according to seller). http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5070216560.html

Rich_NYS
06-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Doesn't mention exhaust work, but there's a difference in muffler[s] shown in a few of the pics.

PJ Grady Inc.
06-16-2015, 02:26 PM
This car has some issues not the least of which appears to be the "chop and swap" coil spring setup first used on the "Island turbo AKA Turbo manifold" cars. This setup is excessively low and causes a # of problems including poor ride quality, minimal ground clearance, and severe tire wear. The fact that it is an "Island turbo" car but there is no mention of it nor an engine shot may mean big trouble in the engine bay. How do I know this is a turbo? The dual mufflers and 160MPH speedo (and suspension height) give it away. My guess is the motor or the turbo's, or both, are messed up. That combined with the suspension rust and general wear and tear all point to an expensive restoration will be required. BTW how can a car with a "mint interior" have a severely cracked binnacle but no other interior issues? The dash is cracked, steering wheel leather shot, and the driver seat looks iffy. This car is not "excellent" and is no bargain in it's price range.
Rob

Here's a Craigslist ad for an early run D in MA, although it's black int. He's asking $22k or bo, so maybe you could sneak under that $20k goal. Needs work, but apparently it's running (according to seller). http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5070216560.html

PJ Grady Inc.
06-16-2015, 02:48 PM
I agree with you that 30K is the new 20K car's asking price. But I'm not sure the prices will head down after the year is over. I think the improving economy and the "red hot" collector car car market are influencing the prices more than the BTTF anniversary spinoff. If that is true I'd expect prices to hold until either of the first two reasons change significantly. I'm not trying to provoke you Shep only establish a dialog. I could be totally wrong anyway!
Rob

QUOTE=Shep;174701]Yup. If you're willing to wait, save up money and wait till early spring 2016. If you don't want to wait, you'll need to up your budget unfortunately. "Drives fine with minor work" now means $30K minimum. Anything less is quite a rare find, and is usually snatched up pretty quick.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

PJ Grady Inc.
06-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Think "Island Turbo"!!!!

Doesn't mention exhaust work, but there's a difference in muffler[s] shown in a few of the pics.

DannonWeb
06-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Was thinking the same thing! Oy...

BTW how can a car with a "mint interior" have a severely cracked binnacle but no other interior issues? The dash is cracked, steering wheel leather shot, and the driver seat looks iffy.

Rich_NYS
06-30-2015, 08:04 AM
There's a car on eBay located in Ballston Spa NY. It's close to where I live, I'd be happy to look it over for anyone who is interested in buying it.

There's not nearly enough pics in the listing....definitely needs an in-person look.