PDA

View Full Version : General Brake master cylinder - does a used one have any "core" value?

Jonathan
06-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I replaced my brake master cylinder a number of seasons ago and never threw out the old one. If it was still "good" I wouldn't have replaced it, but it is in okay condition if it was ever needed as a core to be rebuilt in some way.

Question I have is: does an old, original brake master cylinder have any value as a "core" item?

I can see new replacements are readily available so my guess would be no. I'd like to take this sort of thing to the garbage dump if it's got no use, but I thought I would ask first. Anyone know if the metal housing itself is currently or expected to be a rare item worth hanging on to? It's in a greasy tote of other similar garbage items in the garage right now that could stand to be cleaned out.

PJ Grady Inc.
06-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I always recommend holding on to any parts that could concievably be rebuilt. Brake masters fall into that category as we currently are rebuilding them using brass sleeves to hold up much longer than the standard iron bore. I have so many cores from 34 years of saving them that I'm not currently buying them but the day will come when you, me, or somebody else may want that core. When your "new" one wears out in a few years you may want to upgrade to a brass sleeved unit and the NOS core makes a better core than the aftermarket replacements. I vote to hang on FWIW.
Rob

I replaced my brake master cylinder a number of seasons ago and never threw out the old one. If it was still "good" I wouldn't have replaced it, but it is in okay condition if it was ever needed as a core to be rebuilt in some way.

Question I have is: does an old, original brake master cylinder have any value as a "core" item?

I can see new replacements are readily available so my guess would be no. I'd like to take this sort of thing to the garbage dump if it's got no use, but I thought I would ask first. Anyone know if the metal housing itself is currently or expected to be a rare item worth hanging on to? It's in a greasy tote of other similar garbage items in the garage right now that could stand to be cleaned out.

Jonathan
06-15-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks Rob. I'd hate to throw it out and then later realize I should have kept it too. If I think I have a lot of boxes of used or NOS or beat up parts, I can only imagine what your inventory looks like!!