PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged PRV Hotrod anyone?

Dangermouse
06-26-2015, 08:34 AM
I know that the question comes up every now and then about other cars that have used the PRV or Max HP for a PRV, so I was a little surprised to see this

I came across this on another site and unless I am mistaken, which I probably am, it is a PRV based hot rod, with a supercharger (entirely based on the valve cover). Taken at a hotrod show outside of Stratford (Shakespeare hometown) in England. I'm no hot-rod expert, but I though a V8 was the standard choice, so a V6 is a little unusual in itself.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35174&d=1435321782

Perhaps this is a prototype Stage IV from DMCH :)

novadmc
06-26-2015, 09:12 AM
A. awesome.
B. with the size of that blower, the driver can barely see out front of the car! :shocked:

DavidProehl
06-26-2015, 10:25 AM
That is unbelievable! I may have to print this picture off to show people at car shows when they ask about the "under-powered engine."

David T
06-26-2015, 12:40 PM
That is unbelievable! I may have to print this picture off to show people at car shows when they ask about the "under-powered engine."

I wonder what he did to handle all of the boost that blower can produce. Anything more than 5-6 lbs and you blow the stock pistons. And what cams he has.

Delorean Industries
06-26-2015, 02:20 PM
I wonder what he did to handle all of the boost that blower can produce. Anything more than 5-6 lbs and you blow the stock pistons. And what cams he has.

Really? Have you seen this happen? Do you have a combustion analysis report showing that it wasn't due to ignition timing or fueling?

Bitsyncmaster
06-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Those two little V belts make me think the blower is non-functional. But maybe it is just set up to run slower for less boost.

David T
06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Really? Have you seen this happen? Do you have a combustion analysis report showing that it wasn't due to ignition timing or fueling?

I have seen what happens to the cars with the Island turbo kit when you exceed 5 lbs boost. The lands on the pistons can't handle the pressure and they crack off letting the rings float and allowing a LOT of blowby that shoots oil out the fill. The tops of the pistons are fine so there was no detonation. The stock cast pistons are not strong enough so you need forged ones to handle all the pressure. If you can keep the boost below 6 lbs the stock pistons seem to be OK with it. The two belts could handle a lot but the bigger question is, "Is there anything INSIDE the blower or is it just for intimidation?".

Farrar
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
I've thought for a while about throwing a supercharger on the PRV instead of a turbocharger, but it seems to be a relatively rare modification. Perhaps one day I will get there.