PDA

View Full Version : General Average Real World Pricing 2010

stevedmc
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know what happened to theMonch?

Jacko
05-26-2011, 12:28 PM
:dunno: Glad you asked. I was gonna ask about that when the site came back up but figured someone would ...

DeLorean03
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Honestly, who cares. I want DMCTalk to have as little drama as possible. I know it's inevitable, but the longer the new board goes without bickering, the better.

Dangermouse
05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I know it's inevitable, but the longer the new board goes without bickering, the better.

Well I'm afraid I have to disagree :p

DeLorean03
05-26-2011, 03:27 PM
well i'm afraid i have to disagree :p

don't.... D:

stevedmc
05-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Honestly, who cares. I want DMCTalk to have as little drama as possible. I know it's inevitable, but the longer the new board goes without bickering, the better.

Drama and bickering are two of the reasons I replaced K-Jet with a carburetor.

Dracula
05-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Drama and bickering are two of the reasons I replaced K-Jet with a carburetor.

That's also the reason I converted my car to a gray interior. Cost, personal preference, familiariy and parts on hand had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it, I swear.

theMonch
06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Still looking. Have a few good targets to look into when I stop traveling in a couple of weeks. Stage motor for the GN is taking a bit longer than expected, but hope to have that cleared up in the next few weeks so I can cleanly move on to the next project.

Im touched Steve...you missed me.

stevedmc
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Im touched Steve...you missed me.

Welcome back.

theMonch
06-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome back.

Thanks. Its good to see the forum back up and running, even though the database seems to not have been recovered yet. I could just imaging what a job that is going to be.

For anyone that stumbles upon this thread from the title, here is the link eBay data that is collected by another forum member.

http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/03/deloreans-sold-on-ebay.html

If the database isn't restord in a few weeks, I'll repost all of my findings as well that has auction houses and a few Craigslist regions as well.

stevedmc
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Honestly, it is good to see you back, despite all the bickering earlier. I have been following the community off and on since 97 and you wouldn't believe how many people say hello for a little while, say the Delorean is their dream car and they must have one, and then disappear. You obviously aren't one of those people, but it will take a lot of work, patience, and luck to find what you are looking for in your price range. Hang in there and good luck.

Now its time for some more bickering.

stevedmc
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
:TrainWreck:

theMonch
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Whats the trainwreck for?

stevedmc
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Whats the trainwreck for?

This thread.

Kukem
06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I can understand the desire to keep a budget when looking for one of these cars. I tried in this price range as it would mean getting one right away, but didn't find much worth while or that didn't require some big overhauls. I'm sure there is probably some out there and I'll keep searching too as I continue to save but it sucks walking away from 4 different Deloreans when you really want one.

uhhair
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd just like to point out that there have been a lot of very reasonably priced deloreans sell on ebay in the last few weeks, and more are listed. I'd encourage everyone interested in their pricing to take a look at these listings if they're in the market for a D, or are interested in their current pricing. Just a little friendly FYI.

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I tried in this price range as it would mean getting one right away, but didn't find much worth while or that didn't require some big overhauls.

Did you get a chance to check eBay? According to theMonch there are plenty of near perfect (He rates them a 9 on a scale from 1 to 10) on eBay for around $15k.

uhhair
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Did you get a chance to check eBay? According to theMonch there are plenty of near perfect (He rates them a 9 on a scale from 1 to 10) on eBay for around $15k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Delorean-/220794905820?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336866e4dc

Thats a completed listing for a D that sold for $16.8k. It appears to be an extremely nice one if the description is entirely accurate (rebuilt engine, new AC, ect).

Thats the closest I've ever seen to a 9/10 condition D for around $15k, and it's still $2k over.

tjd
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM

It's eBay!!! how can you loose?

Why would you buy a DeLorean anywhere else? Maybe you could find a 9 out of 10 for 12K at a local garage sale.

People paying 20-30K or more from venders or knowledgeable DeLorean owners elsewhere must be fools.

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Delorean-/220794905820?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336866e4dc

Thats a completed listing for a D that sold for $16.8k. It appears to be an extremely nice one if the description is entirely accurate (rebuilt engine, new AC, ect).

Thats the closest I've ever seen to a 9/10 condition D for around $15k, and it's still $2k over.

It even comes with a nice coolant leak. Did anyone else notice that in the pictures?

Plus the front suspension appears to have been spray painted. He even painted the shocks and springs. I wonder why. You can imagine the rest of the pretty frame has fresh coats of spray paint as well.

Michael
06-17-2011, 01:15 PM

That is not a 9/10 car. I would describe mine as a 9/10 and most would agree it's pretty damn nice.

Look closely at the frame pics...notice anything fishy? Loks like he spray bombed the frame in place, painting the shocks, springs, and anything else that has less a than desirable appearance the same color, (not to say it's rusted away, but you won't know until a personal inspection). He didn't even bother masking off the underbody, gray overspray everywhere. That car has been given a lick and a promise and a magic eye wash and sold for about what it's worth as evidenced by the winning bid. It looks good in low quality pics, but if I can spot that frame in low quality, imagine what it looks like in real life.

82DMC12
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Not to mention a very ugly engine. You can tell how people prioritize things when they focus on blue lug nuts and red brake rotor shields but do absolutely nothing to clean up and update the motor. I would expect new coolant hoses, new water pump, new vacuum hoses, new hose clamps at a MINIMUM on a good car. A 9/10 car is going to have a very clean engine, probably repainted, very few rusty or corroded fasteners, and all new rubber everything. That's a lot of time and money to do that. 9/10 means you have very little to do to have an excellent show-worthy example. A 9/10 car shouldn't be embarrassed to pop the engine compartment. It should look restored, not nasty. The frame on that car is probably not good at all judged by the fresh spray paint job and the overall lack of detail to the rest of the car.

Just my opinion.
Andy

tjd
06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
The one in the link looks to me like a typical 15-16K car, and sold for what it's worth or maybe a little more.

You simply don't see high grade examples of D's on eBay, if they are there they are priced above what the eBay crowd would be willing to pay. A buyer looking for a nice 9-10 DeLorean typicaly isn't going to buy one there.

I've only went and looked at one eBay car and it was a nightmare in person.

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Did the seller list it as a perfect car?

82DMC12
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
The one in the link looks to me like a typical 15-16K car, and sold for what it's worth or maybe a little more.

You simply don't see high grade examples of D's on eBay, if they are there they are priced above what the eBay crowd would be willing to pay. A buyer looking for a nice 9-10 DeLorean typicaly isn't going to buy one there.

I agree. Someone looking for a 9/10 D is probably doing their homework, joining our community, going to our events, and probably looking for a nice car owned by an enthusiast. At least that's how I did it.

Andy

uhhair
06-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I didn't say it was a 9/10 car, I said it was as close to a 9/10 car that you're going to see in the $15k price range, and even mentioned that it was over that limit by almost $2k. I was using the post to illustrate that the a 9/10 car for that price is just not realistic.

However, aside from judging it a 9/10, if one was looking for a well-priced D, and assuming that the car is in the condition presented by the seller (the frame isn't rusted through and painted over), I'd consider it a pretty good value, anyone agree/disagree?

Dangermouse
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Mike,

is that "Flogging a dead horse" smilie loaded yet ??? :biggrin:

stevedmc
12-28-2011, 04:26 PM
here Monchy Monchy...

Did he ever buy a Delorean?

I figure I might as well ask again since I'm on a roll for being a troll this week.

stevedmc
01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Let it be known that Monchy is back and he is now pimping stainless. According to this thread he should have a near perfect Delorean and should have paid around $15k for it.

Monchy's new thread and pictures can be found here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2799-theMonch-is-back-and-he-s-packing-stainless.

Iznodmad
01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
In Monchy's own words....

"I took a look at it last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. A seemingly original running driving project car that had plenty of negotiating points, no deal breakers. (rusty frame, etc.), and a motivated seller. Long story short i went and snatched it up today and is currently sitting in my driveway.

Overall I am quite satisfied initially. She definetly needs a bit of TLC, but nothing that I can't accomplish myself."-----end of Monchy's words.

Now in my words......Doesn't sound like what he bought is what he thought he could get for the price. If anyone needs to do an expense chart, Monchy is the one. He has a clean slate and is a new owner. Open your wallet Monchy, it's gonna get crazy from here!:frantic:

DMCMW Dave
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM

I know I'm bringing something back from the dead but this caught my eye when Steve resurrected this thread. Is there any chance someone clipped and saved this particular ebay listing? I'm interested in seeing the ad and photos if at all possible. This is from last June so it's not on ebay any more.

dvonk
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
i remember this auction. according to the date of the post (06/2011) and steve's description in this post...

It even comes with a nice coolant leak. Did anyone else notice that in the pictures?

Plus the front suspension appears to have been spray painted. He even painted the shocks and springs. I wonder why. You can imagine the rest of the pretty frame has fresh coats of spray paint as well.

...ive concluded that the auction was for VIN 01962. it was also listed by the same person with the same photos back in 09/2010. apparently it did not sell then.

i have the the photos and the text clipping of the descriptions from both auctions. the photos are standard ebay resolution (i.e., not hi-res), but youd probably get the idea.

if you would like me to send them to you, PM me your email address. :smile:

stevedmc
10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Here Monchy Monchy....

refugeefromcalif
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM
People paying 20-30K or more from venders or knowledgeable DeLorean owners elsewhere must be fools.

Well, I've been called worse then a Fool before.

(I've been Divorced)....

George