PDA

View Full Version : Engine Photo of throttle spool springs

Kenthegreat
07-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Can someone please post a photo(s) of the throttle spool that shows how the springs are suppose to be installed, my throttle is binding somewhere and I need to see another to compare. thanks.

Chris 16409
07-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Kenthegreat
07-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Any chance you can get one of the under side spring too?

sdg3205
07-26-2015, 04:07 PM
It may also be that your throttle cable is filthy. You would not believe how much mud gets packed in there over 35 years. Despite firing lubricant into the sheath as much as i could for as long as i could, I finally replaced my OEM cable as the fray at the spool was bugging me. With the cable out, i fired brake clean and WD 40 through with compressed air while my friend Volker (vps3922) held a rag under the other side by the gas pedal. Hand full of mud! With the sheath clean and the the new cable lubed, it feels like a new pedal.

But yes, clean the lube the spool assembly (even the springs) first. Bead blasting them will help remove corrosion that increases the binding.

DMC-81
07-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Does this help?

Note: I still have to install the 4 push on retaining rings that were included in the de ice kit.

Dana

David T
07-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Actually the proper way to lube the throttle cable is in the Throttle Recall SC-02-1/82. It tells you how to force anti-freeze into the cable to prevent it from freezing and to also lubricate it. You should also take the throttle spool all apart to clean and lubricate it. Don't forget the ends of the quadrant link. There are 2 springs in the throttle spool and one on the throttle arm (don't take the throttle arm apart, just make sure it moves freely). Make sure the throttle cable is bent or forced into the wrong position on top of the motor, that will increase the friction inside.