PDA

View Full Version : For Sale So you want to buy a project car? A _real_ project car?

nullset
08-08-2015, 11:41 AM
I've decided that it's time for 2930 to have a new owner. I don't have time to finish putting her back together, and I think someone else may.

There's some things you need to know:

- I do not _have_ to sell her, so if you want to part her out or scrap her, move on.
- Not currently running, but I could throw a radiator in ( I have one ) and get the engine running again. If I do that, the price goes up.
- Currently as-is where-is, in north Georgia. She will need a tow
- Needs an entirely new interior, and lots of "reassembly" work.

I've put a decent amount of money in to this car, and don't expect to recoup my investment, but I'd like to come close to breaking even.

Information about 2930:

- 1981 automatic partially BTTF converted
- Includes the props that came with it ( very bad deck vents made of wood, but an authentic mr fusion, and random interior parts)
- Newly rebuilt brakes, all 4 wheels
- Probably needs a head gasket and electrical work
- No interior carpet. I threw it away because it was _really_ gross

If you search for '2930' here, you'll see some information about what's been done to it.

If you're interested, please PM me or email me ( nullset at gmail ). You'll have to arrange shipping or a tow from Sugar Hill, Ga.

I'm in no rush. I'd like to sell it by the end of the year.

Price is negotiable.

I don't feel that this car will ever be feasibly converted back to a daily driver, without a significant investment, but if you're looking for a BTTF car, she will make a very good candidate.

I'm still not 100% certain I want to sell this car.

nullset
08-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Here are some photos of the car, as it was before I started work on it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107098584421702331898/BTTFDelorean?authkey=Gv1sRgCJClrdeJ6fnJfw

The interior props have been removed, but will be supplied if the purchaser wants them. I don't mind keeping them if they don't.

Things that have been done to it:

- Interior removed
- Body/Frame separated to replace a damaged fuel line and repair rusty frame bits
- Brakes completely replaced with rebuilt brakes on all 4 wheels
- New fuel injectors
- Mouse carcasses and nests removed! Sorry, I threw them away.......
- Lots of other stuff I don't really remember.....

"Ran when parked", but the fuel tank will need to be cleaned out and the radiator reinstalled before it runs again. It overheated and the cooling fans never worked quite right. Probably needs a head gasket. The exhaust is in pretty good shape.

I'll take some photos of it as it is today next time I'm up there. It'll be a few weeks though - I'm currently planning a big trip and won't have time to visit her.

AriDMC
08-08-2015, 05:00 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/107098584421702331898/BTTFDelorean?authkey=Gv1sRgCJClrdeJ6fnJfw

The interior props have been removed, but will be supplied if the purchaser wants them. I don't mind keeping them if they don't.

- Interior removed
- Body/Frame separated to replace a damaged fuel line and repair rusty frame bits
- New fuel injectors

"Ran when parked", but the fuel tank will need to be cleaned out and the radiator reinstalled before it runs again. It overheated and the cooling fans never worked quite right. Probably needs a head gasket. The exhaust is in pretty good shape.

I'll take some photos of it as it is today next time I'm up there. It'll be a few weeks though - I'm currently planning a big trip and won't have time to visit her.

I'm interested. Just sent you a pm and email.

Marcus_2797
11-13-2015, 03:47 PM

- Interior removed
- New fuel injectors

Is it still for sale ?

nullset
11-13-2015, 04:45 PM
I still have her, but I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to part with her or not. I've had several interested parties but part of me really wants to get it rolling again and then see where it goes from there.

jamesvnz
11-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I still have her, but I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to part with her or not. I've had several interested parties but part of me really wants to get it rolling again and then see where it goes from there.

i dont understand this thread you have created u want to sell you car or u don't?

why is this posting on here?

nullset
11-15-2015, 07:28 PM
i dont understand this thread you have created u want to sell you car or u don't?

why is this posting on here?

I initially made the post to gauge interest. I'm considering all options at this point.

nullset
01-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Okay folks, 2930 is still up for sale. I've had a few people express interest.

I went to visit her today, and took some photos / cleaned her up a bit.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN4iVyzrS9OXg6zIVdg-HsC1dS14hC4TE7ibhCA

I will be going up there again tomorrow to get the engine going again.

If you're interested in this car, and want pictures of something specific, let me know before 1/2/2016 and I'll try to take them.

I would strongly prefer that the buyer see the car in person before taking the plunge, because I want to make sure you know what you're getting into.

I prefer email to private messages. My username is nullset. I use gmail. Perhaps you can figure it out from there......

opethmike
01-01-2016, 07:17 PM
FYI, your link gives a 403 error.

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 07:19 PM
FYI, your link gives a 403 error.

Yup

nullset
01-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Yup

New link: https://goo.gl/photos/BoYnxmkHdnBuqHGt5

Try that one. Sorry about that.

88KPH
01-02-2016, 08:50 AM
In answer to your question.......
"Hell no!"

nullset
01-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Just a few updates for anyone curious.

- The front grill is not installed. The buyer has three options.
1) You don't care about the front grill. Awesome!
b) I can include a brand new ( not even unwrapped ) front grill from DMC. It will need the studs and DMC logo installed. That's up to you
III) I can include a complete grill that's currently on my other car, and put the new one on my car.

- The title is free and clear, in my name.

Tomorrow she gets a new starter. A brief diagnosis today revealed that the solenoid was not engaging, which was preventing it from starting. Everything up to that was fine.

Things this car has that are new / fairly new ( less than 100 miles on these parts ):

- Fuel pump, filter, injectors, accumulator
- Brake calipers all remanufactured professionally
- Alternator and starter
- Spark plugs
- Lots of fasteners, too many to list
- exhaust gaskets. No exhaust leaks!

Tomorrow I'll finish getting the engine together, and I'll post a video of it running.

Things you should know:

- There's an ATF leak. If anyone wants to sell me an ATF drain pan, PM me. I think the pan is not flat and that's why it leaks.
- There's some fiberglass damage on the driver side. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
- Of the stainless panels, the only one that was drilled is the T-panel.
- The rear fascia is damaged. Again, if anyone wants to sell me a replacement, please PM me. I would happily install one!

Tomorrow, I'm going to:

- Install the new starter
- Turn the engine over
- Remove the current props and polish the heck out of the stainless.

Kirk came by and took some photos today. I also showed him the title, just as proof that I do, indeed, have it in my possession.

Anyone that has questions about this car or is interested, please PM me or email me, or text me. It's available for viewing in Suwanee, Ga. PM me for details - I won't post the address here, out of respect for the shop that is hosting it as a favor to me.

That's all for now.

--buddy
PS: Be sure to search '2930' on this forum, or 'marsha', her preferred name, to see what I've done to this car in the time I've owned it.

nullset
01-02-2016, 04:55 PM
I added the pictures that Kirk took to the album. I'm also embedding one here, showing the body damage.

I'm having it looked at, and will have it repaired if I can.

nullset
01-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Updates for anyone interested:

- I removed the exterior props. The rear quarter panels were drilled, and the Tpanel was drilled. All other panels were in tact, and cleaned up surprisingly well.
- The engine made fire! I let it run for a few minutes and warm up, before shutting it down. She sounds great.
- I'm amassing all of my stock of parts that belong to this car, and putting them with it.
- I've got someone looking at the front damage to the body ( near where the windshield washer pump belongs )
- I'm consulting a welder about filling the stainless holes

If anyone is interested in stopping by to look at it, please let me know. Low ball offers will not be considered - The left front fender and hood are both worth more than some offers I've received.

The props are available for sale separately, if whoever ends up with the car doesn't want them.

I'll be back up there on Saturday to do some more work. I'm going to diagnose a fuel pressure issue. The tank and hoses are clean, so I'll be checking the PPR Oring, and if necessary, replacing the fuel pump and filter.

Jim D
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
What is the price? Did I miss it?

nullset
01-05-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm accepting offers of cash or barter/trades. PM me with offers.

88KPH
01-06-2016, 04:26 AM
It might help the sale if you say how much you would actually take for it? Just an idea.

jamesvnz
01-06-2016, 05:34 AM
how long ago was this a time machine looks like on of the first bttf conversions :-)

iflights
01-06-2016, 08:41 AM
It might help the sale if you say how much you would actually take for it? Just an idea.

I'm relatively new to this board, but don't the rules indicate that an item for sale in this section must have a price associated with it?

nullset
01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm relatively new to this board, but don't the rules indicate that an item for sale in this section must have a price associated with it?

I'm accepting offers. Because this is a project car and not a 100% stock ready to go Delorean, I'm accepting all offers.

If you want my "it will be on the truck tomorrow, good luck" price, it's $9500. If you want my "I'll think about it" price, it's anything less than that.

That said:

- I'm being realistic about the car's value. I am open to offers of cash, trades, or just about anything else.
- I'm not in a hurry to sell it. I can continue working on it, and the more time I spend on it getting things tip-top, the more I'll want in return for the car.

I'm happy to answer any and all questions. I'm going up again this weekend to spend some time on it.

nullset
01-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Updates for anyone interested!

The motor runs. The injectors need a cleaning - they do not all spray reliably, so it runs lean. I'm working on that.

I've also decided on a price. Current asking price is $8250 OBO. That's as-is, where-is. I strongly recommend that you come see it first!

I'll continue working on it for the next few weeks whenever I have time, but that's the price as of today.

kobachi
01-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Current asking price is $8250 OBO.

8250 / ((9500 - 8250) / 14) = 92.4 days until the asking price is $0, according to the data so far :)

88KPH
01-20-2016, 07:03 PM
The cheek is strong in this one! :yoda:
But values can go up aswell as down!!

nullset
01-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Wait a few months and I'll pay you to take it!

Seriously though, I think my offer price is pretty fair, and much below that it makes more sense to part it out, which I strongly do not want to do.

nullset
02-15-2016, 08:37 PM
https://www.facebook.com/nullset/videos/10101620282138529/

She's running!

The issue was that the primary fuel pressure was low. We installed 2 shims to get it back up to spec, and it started right up.

I've also removed more of the props and will post more photos shortly showing the condition of the stainless.

Up next is continuing to put the interior back together and then waiting for a tempting offer!

Nicholas R
02-15-2016, 11:51 PM
I'm still surprised that this car hasn't had more attention and more offers. Isn't this that restoration project that people are always looking for? Everyone always seems to want a running project car, but when it comes around, people would rather balk at 'this' problem or 'that' problem... as an excuse not to move on it. Best of luck with the sale. Sounds to me like the price might be slowly going up as more things get fixed :thumbup:

nullset
02-16-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm still surprised that this car hasn't had more attention and more offers. Isn't this that restoration project that people are always looking for? Everyone always seems to want a running project car, but when it comes around, people would rather balk at 'this' problem or 'that' problem... as an excuse not to move on it. Best of luck with the sale. Sounds to me like the price might be slowly going up as more things get fixed :thumbup:

I'm not too worried about it - the more time I spend on it, the higher the price goes! :)

I've had some interest so far. I really wanted to get it running again because I know it's worth much more if you can turn the key and she goes, which is exactly what happens now.

It still needs a bit of tuning. I'm going to get the timing dialed in and get a few other things cleaned up, and of course post more pictures soon.

The good news is that the plugs and injectors are all in very good shape, along with the entirety of the fuel system. It actually runs better than my other Delorean at this point!

88KPH
02-16-2016, 12:34 PM
I think it's the whole. ..." might be for sale, might not, make me an offer, price is only gonna go up" game. Really puts people off. When someone says make me an offer, they already know what they will or won't, take for it. They are just hoping someone will offer more. People don't like that.
This thread is tainted by that gamesmanship. IMO,
Seller would be better off starting new thread with pics of how it is, what needs doing and how much he wants. Simples and it would probably sell alot quicker.

Gfrank
02-16-2016, 09:09 PM
I thought this car sold?
I'm intrested myself, just need to sell my 82 first!

nullset
02-16-2016, 11:12 PM
- It's definitely for sale. Yes, I have a price in my head that will make me say "take it now" and a price that will make me think about it. My "list" price is currently $7500. At that price, you can "take it now". I'll consider other offers.

I am enjoying working on it again. I'm not in any hurry to sell it.

Make sense?

Nicholas R
02-16-2016, 11:25 PM
I think it's the whole. ..." might be for sale, might not, make me an offer, price is only gonna go up" game. Really puts people off. When someone says make me an offer, they already know what they will or won't, take for it. They are just hoping someone will offer more. People don't like that.
This thread is tainted by that gamesmanship. IMO,
Seller would be better off starting new thread with pics of how it is, what needs doing and how much he wants. Simples and it would probably sell alot quicker.

In nullsets defense, he's been pretty open about selling the car for the last month. The buy it now price has been posted in this thread 3 times now. $9500 then $8250 and now $7500. He's also been pretty clear about the issues, and that he wants the buyer to see it before buying. Personally, I think this car is a bargain. A running project car that isn't painted, for $7500 these days is unheard of.

Rich_NYS
02-17-2016, 12:22 AM
A running project car that isn't painted, for $7500 these days is unheard of.

I was about to say the same thing.

Soundkillr
02-17-2016, 07:44 AM
Agreed, this is a great deal. Rarely does this happen. No way I'd let this go for 7500 especially with the way prices are going now. Someone needs to jump on this. Just an fyi to potential buyers, this guy is legit, Buddy is an honest stand up guy.

ozoner
02-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Wow,

I wish I had checked this thread out sooner, just assumed it was a project car. This car was just what I was looking for before it got torn apart. I collect movie cars just to display at my two Drive in theaters and have been looking for a BTTF car, but they are all way to over priced. I am sick I didn't see this sooner. Can everything be hooked back up or have wires been cut ? Do you still have all the BTTF attachments ?

Maybe I can still make this work,

Bill AKA Ozoner wich means Drive-in Theater

Rich_NYS
02-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow,

I wish I had checked this thread out sooner, just assumed it was a project car. This car was just what I was looking for before it got torn apart. I collect movie cars just to display at my two Drive in theaters and have been looking for a BTTF car, but they are all way to over priced. I am sick I didn't see this sooner. Can everything be hooked back up or have wires been cut ? Do you still have all the BTTF attachments ?

Maybe I can still make this work,

Bill AKA Ozoner wich means Drive-in Theater

I thought you got that nice one for 22K last year....what happened to that?

ozoner
02-17-2016, 03:59 PM
I thought you got that nice one for 22K last year....what happened to that?
No, I missed that one near Boston. There where a few others I missed too!

Dangermouse
02-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Agreed, this is a great deal. Rarely does this happen. No way I'd let this go for 7500 especially with the way prices are going now. Someone needs to jump on this. Just an fyi to potential buyers, this guy is legit, Buddy is an honest stand up guy.

+1

Additionally, some of the bestest DMCTalkers have touched this car, so you would be getting their DNA for free. Whether you think that increases or reduces the price, is up to you of course

DL4567
02-17-2016, 07:04 PM
+1

Additionally, some of the bestest DMCTalkers have touched this car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6elHXi_64s

nullset
02-18-2016, 12:31 AM
I have a buyer that is very interested and has put down a deposit. Once everything has gone through, the buyer can choose to identify themselves if they wish.

Thanks for the support everyone!

88KPH
02-18-2016, 03:59 AM
Wow agree, that was a good price for anything D related.
Just think a clearer ad would of worked better for you.
Glad it worked out for you in the end.

Dangermouse
02-18-2016, 07:45 AM
I have a buyer that is very interested and has put down a deposit. Once everything has gone through, the buyer can choose to identify themselves if they wish.

See, once it's celebrity heritage was known, it was snapped up.

You're welcome :)

ozoner
02-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Wow agree, that was a good price for anything D related.
Just think a clearer ad would of worked better for you.
Glad it worked out for you in the end.
I agree if it had said Back to the future clone I would have opened the thread and would have paid a decent price for a yard drive BTTF car. It's advertisement for my Drive-Ins. I guess I better open every thread from now on. I just didn't want a real project car plus have to pay for the BTTF cloning. I feel bad for myself and the owner. I would have paid a lot more than what he got NO BS! This car is a business expense for me. And no I don't want any of the 50-100k BTTF cars out there, I don't need that big of a write off LOL!

samuraifingers
03-26-2016, 09:04 PM
So this one is fully sold and gone right?

Gfrank
03-26-2016, 09:33 PM
So this one is fully sold and gone right?

Assuming so, I messaged and got no reply

Demorean
05-31-2016, 09:03 AM

If that buyer falls through, I am interested!

Soundkillr
05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Buddy, let me know if this has been sold so I can put this thread to sleep.