PDA

View Full Version : Electrical time for a new ignition coil?

novadmc
08-15-2015, 09:52 PM
lately my D has been a bit cantankerous to start whether cold or hot. lately its' taken one long crank if cold to fire up and 2 2-3sec cranks when hot. sometimes it would catch on 1st crank hot but not die within 2 secs. 2nd crank it would fire up slightly rough then calm down after a couple seconds. once running it would stay running.

not sure what to check first, i decided to clean as many contacts related to ignition/fuel as i could to see if that helps at all. ballast resistor, coil, all connectors around there, rpm relay & connector, etc (only thing i didnt get to was fuel pump itself).
after that the car did fire right up cold (1x 1-2sec crank) I let it run for a few mins then shut it off, waited 1-2 mins and tried again. again it fired right up with 1x 1-2sec crank.

all that said, i decided to also check resistance across the ballast and the coil just to make sure both were in spec.

ballast looked good at .5 - .6ohms.
coil readings were (everything disconnected from coil:
L.T.: .5 ohms
H.T.: 8900 ohms

the tech manual says it should read:
L.T.: 1 ohm
H.T.:7000 ohms

are those values indicative of a coil on its way out?

hopefully i took the readings correctly correctly for the coil
LT: multi-meter on + (15) and - (1) on coil
HT: multi-meter on + (15) and ignition coil socket

the coil does appear to be the original Bosch unit:
(pic was taken before cleaning up the coils terminals. readings were taken after cleaning them up)

if those readings aren't good, what risk, if any other than crappy drivability) am i incurring by driving the car?
One of these days i still should pull the injectors and test spray pattern. i'm kicking myself for not doing that when i had the whole intake manifold ripped apart back in May.

thanks for any insight!

David T
08-16-2015, 12:22 PM
lately my D has been a bit cantankerous to start whether cold or hot. lately its' taken one long crank if cold to fire up and 2 2-3sec cranks when hot. sometimes it would catch on 1st crank hot but not die within 2 secs. 2nd crank it would fire up slightly rough then calm down after a couple seconds. once running it would stay running.

not sure what to check first, i decided to clean as many contacts related to ignition/fuel as i could to see if that helps at all. ballast resistor, coil, all connectors around there, rpm relay & connector, etc (only thing i didnt get to was fuel pump itself).
after that the car did fire right up cold (1x 1-2sec crank) I let it run for a few mins then shut it off, waited 1-2 mins and tried again. again it fired right up with 1x 1-2sec crank.

all that said, i decided to also check resistance across the ballast and the coil just to make sure both were in spec.

ballast looked good at .5 - .6ohms.
coil readings were (everything disconnected from coil:
L.T.: .5 ohms
H.T.: 8900 ohms

the tech manual says it should read:
L.T.: 1 ohm
H.T.:7000 ohms

are those values indicative of a coil on its way out?

hopefully i took the readings correctly correctly for the coil
LT: multi-meter on + (15) and - (1) on coil
HT: multi-meter on + (15) and ignition coil socket

the coil does appear to be the original Bosch unit:
(pic was taken before cleaning up the coils terminals. readings were taken after cleaning them up)

if those readings aren't good, what risk, if any other than crappy drivability) am i incurring by driving the car?
One of these days i still should pull the injectors and test spray pattern. i'm kicking myself for not doing that when i had the whole intake manifold ripped apart back in May.

thanks for any insight!

The typical symptoms of a failing coil is breakdown under high load and/or high RPM's. A 30 + year old coil can't be working like a new one but I don't think that is your immediate problem. I would be checking the fuel system starting with the CSV.