PDA

View Full Version : General Spare Wheel....how many people use it?

Lwanmtr
08-28-2015, 09:46 PM
So I look at my spare and ask myself....do I really wanna use this tiny thing?

Kinda thought would be cool to get a custom carpet made and have the spare area as a lil more cargo space..hehe.

David T
08-28-2015, 10:46 PM
So I look at my spare and ask myself....do I really wanna use this tiny thing?

Kinda thought would be cool to get a custom carpet made and have the spare area as a lil more cargo space..hehe.

Of the few instances I know that they have been used in recent years, they blew out after a few miles. Since they are 30+ years old it isn't completely unexpected that they are no good anymore. Most new cars now no longer even have spare tires, even small ones. What you get is what they call an "accessibility package". It is an air pump with a cartridge of sealant. Meant to fix a leaky tire from a nail temporarily till you can get to a place to get it repaired or replaced. No good if you get a tear is the side. BTW if you do use the sealant you can kiss your tire sensor goodbye (Deloreans don't have them).

Lwanmtr
08-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I have AAA (just joined) so a spare isnt really needed..even the one I had in my Mustang was too small, made the car sit funny...The delorean spare is even smaller...lol

Wonder how much a carpet like im thinking would cost?

Alan
08-28-2015, 10:54 PM
When we picked up 1121, DMCMW had just put new tires on all the way around. I still had them replace the rubber on the spare. I plan on long trips, at least to DCSs. If I get a flat, I at least want to be able to limp to the next off-ramp.

sdg3205
08-29-2015, 02:15 AM
Even if it blows up as soon as the weight of the car is on it, it's better to limp onwards and destroy that rim that one of your nice OEM DMC turbines.

Bitsyncmaster
08-29-2015, 05:42 AM
I still carry my spare and also two cans of tire infiltrator (sealant). So if I get a flat, I have a few options to "limp" to a service station. I still have the option to call a tow truck but that may add hours to get service.

AugustneverEnds
08-29-2015, 07:33 AM
I removed the spare because I figured after 30+ years it wouldn't be a good idea to use it. So I carry Fix-A-Flat and a portable air compressor with me, takes up far less space, so now I keep my emergency jumper cables and other supplies in the spare tire well.

Citizen
08-29-2015, 07:33 AM
I carry my spare with me in the DeLorean, and a fix-a-flat too, just in case. Like Dave said, it's all about options.

On my newer cars, I always make sure they have a spare, or I don't buy them (just bought a Cherokee, and the spare was an option, which I got).

About a year ago, I had real blow-out (not just a flat) driving home on the freeway in my Colorado pickup with essentially brand new tires. Somehow a hunk of wood got lodged between the tire and the frame, and after a time, it blew-out the sidewall of a tire due to friction I think. I put the spare on, and drove on to get the blown-out tire replaced. I didn't have to wait for a tow. An inflator kit would have been worthless, and I thanked myself for sticking to my guns about always having a spare tire.

I had also already taken my DeLorean spare to Discount Tire to have them check it. One place wouldn't touch it, cause they thought it was too old (looks brand new though). But another store took it, resealed it and aired it up, all at no charge.

Thomas

Chris 16409
08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
I use a full size wheel from a Chrysler Laser for my spare:

I loose a bit of cargo space, but I rather like the idea of a full size spare.

Mario
08-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Can you not get new tires that match the size of the spare? Seems like there'd be something, no?

Lwanmtr
08-29-2015, 05:41 PM
good question...hehe

Dangermouse
08-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Yes, you can get new rubber for it

tom kish vin. 4357
08-29-2015, 07:06 PM
I went to the junk yard when i got my car and asked them if any of there cars spare tires would fit on my rim, they found one, mounted it on my spare and now i have a spare with new rubber.

Lwanmtr
08-29-2015, 07:08 PM
The rubber on mine looks brand new...though I havent checked yet to see if it holds air, since the car is still not drivable

David T
08-29-2015, 10:52 PM
The rubber on mine looks brand new...though I havent checked yet to see if it holds air, since the car is still not drivable

The original spare will not hold air. You have to have it unmounted and remounted with Camel tire bead sealer. Might also need to clean up the rim of any corrosion on the bead area. No matter how nice the spare looks, it won't last once you try driving on it. Getting another is a good idea but to take it from a junkyard may not be if it is already old too unless you can find it on a late model car (less than 10 years old). Some tire shops will NOT touch the spare tires saying you are not supposed to unmount and mount spare tires to the rim. On many cars that may be true but not on a Delorean. Some shops still won't touch spare tires anyway saying "Company Policy", especially chain stores. Best advice is to carry a tire pump AND a can of tire sealer. I also carry a large plastic garbage bag and a bungee cord just in case I have to stick the flat either in the passenger seat or on top of the engine cover (then use the bungee cord to hold the louver down on the tire). Check your tires at least once a month and if you notice you are always adding air to one it may have a nail causing a slow leak.

mluder
08-30-2015, 12:42 AM
I carry my spare for ballast - what little it adds.

Funny thing - if you blow your rear tire it will not fit under the bonnet so you either have to leave it by the side of the road or in your passenger seat.

I also carry AAA.

Cheers
Steven

Ryan S.
08-30-2015, 11:39 AM
A couple of years ago, I bought a brand new spare rubber from a local tire shop for around $100. They removed my old one and put on a new one. I haven't had a chance to use it. I also carry a fix-a-flat kit and AAA.

DavidProehl
08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I replaced my spare tire rubber earlier this year. It was cheap ~$60 with shipping, and gave me confidence that I could use my spare if I needed to.

Edit: I linked to the wrong tire. You want a Kumho T125/70 D15. If you call TireRack they can put in an order for you.

They don't always keep them stocked, it was on back order for about 3 months before it was delivered, but I wasn't in a hurry either.

Stainless
08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
I found the same size spare after searching my local junk yard. I checked the date codes to make sure it wasn't very old, and had my local Discount Tire swap the newer rubber onto my spare rim. More info on this topic in thread below:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5130-Spare-Tire/

powerline84
08-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Call me ignorant but if you use the spare on the rear won't it cause damage? On a lot of cars the differentials will tear themselves up if you do that, or are the front and rear pretty close?

Bitsyncmaster
08-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Call me ignorant but if you use the spare on the rear won't it cause damage? On a lot of cars the differentials will tear themselves up if you do that, or are the front and rear pretty close?

Think that is only a problem with limited slip or positrack differentials.

David T
08-31-2015, 08:17 PM

That is exactly the reason when you do use such a tire you are limited as to speed and distance. Even on an ordinary differential, because of the different size tires, the internal gears are spinning away trying to equalize things if you use it on the rear. It heats up the oil and puts a lot of stress on those small spider gears. The other problem is the limited weight carrying capacity of the smaller tire. Also, because of it's smaller size, the suspension is under a lot of stress and the car won't handle as well. That's why it is called a TEMPORARY spare. BTW, to make things even worse, most of the time they are under-inflated because no one ever bothers to check them. Finally, they can't absorb road irregularities as well because of it's smaller size so don't hit any potholes!

David T
08-31-2015, 09:11 PM
I replaced my spare tire rubber earlier this year. It was cheap ~$60 with shipping, and gave me confidence that I could use my spare if I needed to.

Edit: I linked to the wrong tire. You want a Kumho T125/70 D15. If you call TireRack they can put in an order for you.

They don't always keep them stocked, it was on back order for about 3 months before it was delivered, but I wasn't in a hurry either.

After all of this talk about the spare I decided it was time for me to replace it. The Kumho WAS cheap but since I never heard of the brand I decided to go for the Bridgestone even though it was almost 3X as much. Still cheaper than a tow. The Kumho was only $38 plus shipping of course.

DMCVegas
09-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Discount Tire also sells the Kumho Spare Tires too. And they install them no problem.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=WASINT&pc=17438

I've ran on the spare tire before, and did so for a week as a daily driver. Though I *did* take the whole wheel to a Wal Mart tire & lube shop where they broke the bead, cleaned it, and the remounted it.

Even back then when the tire was only 20 years old, it was a HUGE risk that I took. Though granted I had to with the DeLorean being my only car at the time, and I had to wait for a new set of Cooper Cobra GTs to arrive. Now days? I'd never even attempt to roll on the spare. Hell, last weekend I went to get a full new set of tires for my '07 F-150, and due to the age I had them replace the OEM spare tire as well because it was already 8 years old. Once a tire hits 7 years, I just don't trust it anymore. Even if you don't wreck, I can promise you that the price of a tire is far cheaper than a tow, let alone body work when it shreds and slams into the rocker panel, then the fender, and every other trim piece.

But a DeLorean spare tire with good rubber on it? No worries at all. The car works just fine, even on the rear.

Personally, I don't like Fix-A-Flat. I prefer a spare tire any day. It's also messy which instantly pisses off the tire person who unmounts the thing. As with any aresol can, there is a real risk of explosion.

Yeah, I know that the Fix-A-Flat FAQ says that you can safely store the stuff in your trunk or spare wheel well. But their MSDS says otherwise. (http://www.fixaflat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Roadside-Fix-A-Flat-CLP.pdf) I also don't want to have to clean all this crap UP, even if it is only in the trunk.

https://davidsterne.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/imag0439.jpg

refugeefromcalif
09-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I carry my spare, (Original rubber), only as weight for the front end.
Soon I'll replace the tire. I'm old school, I prefer a spare tire for emergencies. (Even if it only gets me closer to a place to replace the main tire).

George

David T
09-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I carry my spare, (Original rubber), only as weight for the front end.
Soon I'll replace the tire. I'm old school, I prefer a spare tire for emergencies. (Even if it only gets me closer to a place to replace the main tire).

George

The spare tire is also for front end crash protection. Got my new tire for Tire Rack today and had it mounted. It was really hard to get the old one off, it was very hard and wouldn't stretch. Took a LOT of muscle to get it started to come off but it finally slipped off the rim. Used bead sealer and the new one slid right on. Took 100 PSI to get the bead seated. Now I feel a lot better if I have to use the spare.