PDA

View Full Version : General Accidentally hit door lock with door open

novadmc
08-29-2015, 08:22 AM
So how screwed am i? I had the driver door closed. Passenger open. Accidentally hit the door lock button. I quickly hit unlock when I heard the driver door lock activate.

I closed both doors and tried opening no issues. Tried locking/unlocking with no issues. Locks work as intended. No sticking on passenger door.

Did I get lucky?

JohnZ
08-29-2015, 08:30 AM
I always lock the door before closing it. It avoids me locking both doors with the key after closing them. My electric locking system is disconnected, though.

refugeefromcalif
08-29-2015, 08:59 AM
I think the bad thing is trying to close the door with it locked. It can break the door pins.

George

jmettee
08-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Whole lot of hearsay & myth above: Breaking the door by accidentally locking the doors with the doors open? Really?

It's not recommended to lock the doors before closing them because of possible bending of the lock linkages....it forces them & the latches don't like to be locked before being latched on the door pins. While doing this a brief number of times won't really hurt anything, it's advised to not make it a habit as it will cause the need for frequent adjustment of the linkages.

I'm sure one of the DMC facilities will add more info, but just go on with your day....no damage done :) Just try to ensure the doors are closed before locking, & accidents won't damage anything on a few lock activation with the door open.

David T
08-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Whole lot of hearsay & myth above: Breaking the door by accidentally locking the doors with the doors open? Really?

It's not recommended to lock the doors before closing them because of possible bending of the lock linkages....it forces them & the latches don't like to be locked before being latched on the door pins. While doing this a brief number of times won't really hurt anything, it's advised to not make it a habit as it will cause the need for frequent adjustment of the linkages.

I'm sure one of the DMC facilities will add more info, but just go on with your day....no damage done :) Just try to ensure the doors are closed before locking, & accidents won't damage anything on a few lock activation with the door open.

When everything is properly adjusted, if you try to lock the doors with one (or both) open, (or one not in 2nd locking position) the doors should try to unlock themselves to prevent you from closing the doors locked. Worst case you bent/stretched some linkage but nothing that can't be adjusted. If you are using the OE door locking module you should either disconnect it by removing the big red wire or cutting the wire and adding a 10 amp in-line fuse if you want to keep using it. At your earliest convenience you should go over the adjustments of BOTH door linkages.

Nicholas R
08-29-2015, 01:52 PM
You did nothing. Its only a problem if you try to close the door after you lock it.

novadmc
08-29-2015, 04:07 PM
When everything is properly adjusted, if you try to lock the doors with one (or both) open, (or one not in 2nd locking position) the doors should try to unlock themselves to prevent you from closing the doors locked. Worst case you bent/stretched some linkage but nothing that can't be adjusted. If you are using the OE door locking module you should either disconnect it by removing the big red wire or cutting the wire and adding a 10 amp in-line fuse if you want to keep using it. At your earliest convenience you should go over the adjustments of BOTH door linkages.

red wire already has an inline fuse (done by DeLorean One back in 2000 when the previous owner bought the car). that said, i do plan on replacing it (hopefully this winter) with the modern DMCH unit and accompanying keyless module.

given these replies and the fact that the passenger door still properly latches closed, locks/unlocks and opens, I'll just count my blessings that no (severe) damage was done and put my tail between my legs for accidentally doing this :)

Bitsyncmaster
08-29-2015, 07:27 PM
If you are using the OE door locking module you should either disconnect it by removing the big red wire or cutting the wire and adding a 10 amp in-line fuse if you want to keep using it.

With all my testing of fuses, has anyone verified a 10 amp fuse will protect your solenoids from damage if the power to them stays on? I don't remember the current a solenoid draws. I guess you could just try a 7.5 amp or 5 amp fuse and see if it blows anytime during normal operation.

dustybarn
08-29-2015, 08:50 PM
With all my testing of fuses, has anyone verified a 10 amp fuse will protect your solenoids from damage if the power to them stays on? I don't remember the current a solenoid draws. I guess you could just try a 7.5 amp or 5 amp fuse and see if it blows anytime during normal operation.

A 5 amp fuse will blow. I haven't tried a 7.5 amp one, though. I try to keep my lock module relays happy by dressing the delay contacts with fine diamond lapping film every season.

David T
08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
A 5 amp fuse will blow. I haven't tried a 7.5 amp one, though. I try to keep my lock module relays happy by dressing the delay contacts with fine diamond lapping film every season.

7.5 might be too small. it may not blow but it may melt. A 10 amp one seems to be OK for repeated use but will blow if a relay gets stuck. The circuit breaker will never pop in time.

Bitsyncmaster
08-30-2015, 03:40 AM
7.5 might be too small. it may not blow but it may melt. A 10 amp one seems to be OK for repeated use but will blow if a relay gets stuck. The circuit breaker will never pop in time.

The OEM door lock unit only powers the solenoids for 1 second so I don't think you have to worry about overheating. If the relay sticks, a 7.5 amp will blow faster than a 10 amp.

Elvis
08-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Most DMC-12 can not be locked with the doors open !
it's a mechanical fact !

Some are a little different as the latches are - different ! just a slight difference, but different.
It has nothing to do with the door lock module !

Locking a open door that can not be locked in open condition - might bend the rods inside the door.
Might. NOT must !
It's defintely nothing you want to do repeatedly.

It's a car, not an egg :-)

An yes - 10 A fuse, nothing else. Tested in more than 50 cars.

Bitsyncmaster
08-30-2015, 08:22 AM
An yes - 10 A fuse, nothing else. Tested in more than 50 cars.

I found my old solenoid. It draws 11.6 amps at 12.5 volts and 13.5 amps at 14.5 volts. So as long as both solenoids are working, that puts the 10 amp fuse at over 200 % of the rating. The fuse is specified to to open in less than 5 seconds at that rating.

So I agree, a 10 amp fuse will protect the solenoids as long as both are powered.

JohnZ
08-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Most DMC-12 can not be locked with the doors open !
it's a mechanical fact !

Some are a little different as the latches are - different ! just a slight difference, but different.
It has nothing to do with the door lock module !

Locking a open door that can not be locked in open condition - might bend the rods inside the door.
Might. NOT must !
It's defintely nothing you want to do repeatedly.

That's interesting! I must have a Delorean whose doors can be locked when open! I never had a problem locking the door from the inside before closing it, and then the door of course is locked :)

I use this system when someone joins me in a ride... before going away from the car the partner that exits the car locks the door (smoothly, as it was closed... it's clearly not forcing anything) and then slams it closed and it stays closed. I do this because I don't want to lock my door with the key and then go to the other door and lock it too. At the same time I don't want to have my electric locking system operative :)

But I never had a problem with it, nor I felt anything stiff or forced while locking it open... Moreover this can be done in other old cars (I used to do that when I was a kid) so I think that it's a pretty normal procedure.

:wink:

David T
08-30-2015, 12:04 PM
That's interesting! I must have a Delorean whose doors can be locked when open! I never had a problem locking the door from the inside before closing it, and then the door of course is locked :)

I use this system when someone joins me in a ride... before going away from the car the partner that exits the car locks the door (smoothly, as it was closed... it's clearly not forcing anything) and then slams it closed and it stays closed. I do this because I don't want to lock my door with the key and then go to the other door and lock it too. At the same time I don't want to have my electric locking system operative :)

But I never had a problem with it, nor I felt anything stiff or forced while locking it open... Moreover this can be done in other old cars (I used to do that when I was a kid) so I think that it's a pretty normal procedure.

:wink:

Once the locking mechanism has been forced while the door was open (it takes a few times) eventually you will bend and stretch the linkage to the point where it will lock and stay locked while the door is open. If you find that you can lock the door in the open position you should readjust the linkage as per the Workshop Manual. I would add to that procedure right at the beginning, you should make sure the door opens and closes easily, is aligned to the body and the other panels, and the anchor pins are adjusted so as to enter the latches without hitting the head of the anchor pin or the sides of the latches.
As for the fuse, you need it to be 10 amps so if you were to lock and unlock the doors a few times quickly the fuse doesn't blow. A 7.5 probably will.

Elvis
08-30-2015, 03:18 PM
.... At the same time I don't want to have my electric locking system operative :)

Why not ?

I don't get why people don't fix their power locks.
It's no rocket science and a remote is plugged in easily.

BTW - I have two remotes here for sale, might be interesting for Europeans
to finally get their power locks working.

I do also update the ECUs to guarantee that it is working properly.

JohnZ
08-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Why not ?

Because I don't need it. :) I'm fine without it. It's like air conditioning... Mine It's probably broken, but I won't use it even if it works.

Choices ;)

Anyway, my door lock module works fine... but I disconnected it anyway.

8)

Elvis
08-30-2015, 05:56 PM
But you are using your engine and the steering wheele ?

And maybe sometimes also the tires ? :-P

JohnZ
08-31-2015, 12:22 AM
But you are using your engine and the steering wheele ?

And maybe sometimes also the tires ? :-P

No, I removed the tires and I follow the railroads!

:hihi2::lol:

dtavres
01-11-2016, 03:57 AM
Argh :( Newbie here.

I just picked up my car from DMC CA on Friday... and having never owned a DeLorean before, I never thought to read up on how to properly lock a door.

A question: Can I get out of the car, and with the door open, manually push the lock button, then close the door? (I've done this a dozen times now over the past 2 days, and the door is locked once I close it.)

OR, is this thread about an aftermarket remote system with electric locks?

Thanks,
Dave

Mario
01-11-2016, 05:19 AM
A question: Can I get out of the car, and with the door open, manually push the lock button, then close the door? (I've done this a dozen times now over the past 2 days, and the door is locked once I close it.)

I think the bad thing is trying to close the door with it locked. It can break the door pins.

George

Its only a problem if you try to close the door after you lock it.

Sounds like it's not a good idea to do it very often. You should lock the doors after closing them!