PDA

View Full Version : SpecialTAuto Clutch Bleeder Line

Chris 16409
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I bought this a while back and just recently fitted it. I should have done it sooner because I needed to flush out my clutch fluid. If you haven't seen this, it replaces the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and allows for very easy bleeding. It really is a pain in the butt to bleed the clutch when you have the original exhaust with the crossover pipe. It's still a pain to bleed it even if you have a new dual exhaust. I guess I put it off because it I knew it was going to be a pain to install. However, once it was fitted, it's so easy to bleed the clutch. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to add new fluid every year (I know it's not required)! Anyone with a manual gearbox should consider getting one of these. It's not fun having to kneel on the engine to see what you're doing down where the slave cylinder is.

Mike C.
05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I put this on mine when doing the slave. Pain in the ass to put on, but a great, easy to use addition when it's maintenance time!

jbreeden
05-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Oooh I must get one of these. I had the idea for something like this last time I bled out my clutch, and I went searching around town for someone who could do it. I was told by multiple custom hose shops that it couldn't (reasonably) be done.

Chris 16409
05-31-2011, 02:50 AM
I guess we're lucky that Hervey has has the means to offers products like this at an affordable price point.

TTait
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Any insights on getting it in? I've tried having unnatural relations with the engine and its tough with all the hoses and wires in the way... Do I just need to commit to laying there and fighting through or is there some tip that helps?

DMCMW Dave
08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Any insights on getting it in? I've tried having unnatural relations with the engine and its tough with all the hoses and wires in the way... Do I just need to commit to laying there and fighting through or is there some tip that helps?

Visibility is MUCH better with the engine cover off.

TTait
09-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I removed the lower engine cover, several fuel lines, and disconnected a large vacuum line to get clearance. Got the old bleeder plug out - installed the bleeder hose by guiding it into the hole and turning it from the top, got about 3 turns in with my fingers, then gently used a stubby wrench from the top to get it snug - not much more pressure than my fingertips would exert - but I probably then damaged it without knowing. I went ahead and heroically snugged it up with an 11mm stubby wrench at the bottom. When I went to bleed it I used two wrenches on the top to get the top fitting open, and the bottom fitting came apart while I was doing it. Took the busted bottom fitting back out and I'm going back to the standard bleeder. I can't afford another one at this point, the parts budget is at $0 for optional items for a while.

Not blaming John, but be forewarned - you can't take a shortcut and turn it from the top. I thought I was reasonably careful. You have to break the top fitting loose before you install it, and when installing you can only, only turn it by the bottom fitting - period. Its damned hard to get a wrench on it when the intake is installed, but you either get the wrench only at the bottom, or don't do it.

I understood it could get damaged and I tried not to screw it up, but its easier than you may think.

Not a bad part - not John's fault - not complaining - just trying to let you guys know so you don't do what I did.

Tom

PS - this was me - don't flame John.

Chris 16409
09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey Tom, you should contact John (if you have't already) and see if he'll do anything for you. It seems weird the thing just fell apart because of the way you were handling it. Maybe he doesn't have a warranty on these items.

congerz83
09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I used Hervey's pressure bleeder on my brakes. It's amazing! I think the attacment fits the clutch master. Between the line and the pressure bleeder, you'd have a quick and efficient bleed.

TTait
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Tom, you should contact John (if you have't already) and see if he'll do anything for you. It seems weird the thing just fell apart because of the way you were handling it. Maybe he doesn't have a warranty on these items.

I'll ask next time I place an order.

justlooking
09-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Bought this item based on reading this thread. This is how it came. 5192

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to bleed it like this? It seems like there's no way to attach a piece of tubing to it.

dmc3130
09-19-2011, 12:14 AM
I Just installed this today. You need a 12" long 1/4" extention for a deep socket 8mm to get the old plug out. Then just get the right angle when you put the new extender bleeder on. Twist it in and use a 3/8" short wrench and put about a half turn to snug it up. That was the hardest part. only took about 15 min to install. Then the rest was easy. The new bleeder is closed at full top and full bottom of the pitcock valve. Have a friend help with the cluch end. I just used a dispoable plastic container to bleed into. Just bent it into the container, very easy......Great idea.... Now the whole job only takes 5 min. :tongue2::clown:

Chris 16409
09-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Bought this item based on reading this thread.

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to bleed it like this? It seems like there's no way to attach a piece of tubing to it.

Call Hervey and tell him the item arrived damaged or not as advertised. It should not be like that. It should look like the picture I posted on the first post of this thread. Let Hervey know what the problem is, he is sure to help out.

TTait
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
its not damaged, that's the way mine came too...

He has changed the design from what is pictured...

Chris 16409
09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
its not damaged, that's the way mine came too...

He has changed the design from what is pictured...

They how do you hook a hose up to it? Does the hose fit inside the bleeder rather than over the top of it?

dmcpom
10-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I had one I fitted it fine but it leaked :-( binned it as warranty from him in aus is crap :-/ and its not that bad to bleed up when ness :-)

DMCVegas
10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I used Hervey's pressure bleeder on my brakes. It's amazing! I think the attacment fits the clutch master. Between the line and the pressure bleeder, you'd have a quick and efficient bleed.

I made one just like it with a Bug Sprayer, a Tire Pressure Gauge, 1 Barbed Fitting, a brass T-fitting, some Instant Gasket, and a Spare Brake MC cap. It works great! The way I set it up it also automatically tops-off the reservoir too.

If you're going to bleed the clutch lines, you can pickup a spare Clutch Reservoir Cap, some RTV, and you're all set to pressure bleed it out too.

rundmc
03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Installed with the manifold off the car. Used only the lower nut to install. Used teflon tape. Made sure valve was loose off the car before installing. Leaked like a sieve at the lower hose connection when tested. Didn't leak at the cylinder - leaked at the brass lower hose connection to the installation nut.

Defective. Don't recommend.

stevedmc
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Installed with the manifold off the car. Used only the lower nut to install. Used teflon tape. Made sure valve was loose off the car before installing. Leaked like a sieve at the lower hose connection when tested. Didn't leak at the cylinder - leaked at the brass lower hose connection to the installation nut.

Defective. Don't recommend.

Mine is working fine and installation was a breeze. I don't understand how you can say a piece of hose and a few brass connectors are defective. Have you talked to Hervey about it?

Edit: Ooops, I thought you were talking about the coolant auto bleeder. Obviously this thread is about something else. I guess I just have coolant on my mind today. Anyway, have you talked to Hervey about it?

jawn101
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM
I installed mine a couple weekends ago and it went very smooth as well. I did notice that the bleed screw in the slave cylinder goes in at a bit of an odd angle, so you may have cross-threaded the fitting on the bleeder line when installing it? I also needed three wraps of teflon tape to make a good seal in the cylinder. But after that it's dry and well sealed and made bleeding the clutch a breeze.

Chris 16409
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
My bleeder seems to have an air leak around the area indicated in the photo. As far as I understand the construction of the bleeder, it shouldn't swivel at this connection. Mine does, so I think air is getting into the system. I've put the original bleed screw in, and am now testing to see if the Hervey Bleeder really is the issue. My slave may also be bad. It's only a couple years old though.

DeloreanJoshQ
02-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I received my clutch bleeder line today. It looks like he soldered or welded the nut at the end that screws into the slave cylinder and pre-teflon-taped the threads to eliminate the chances of leaking. Looks solid to me, I'll report in a few months the results.

jackb
02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I installed this on my car a few months ago, the bottom part was also welded and pre-teflon taped. Makes bleeding the clutch easy as pie. No leaks or issues- zero complaints with this part. I also removed the intake manifold to install it. I didn't want to struggle or risk cross threading it, and I think it probably would have taken at least as long to install with the manifold on as it did to remove/install the manifold instead.

DCUK Martin
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Purely for the sake of interest, check out the original remote bleeder on the Renault turbo PRVs.

Nuclearbacon
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Purely for the sake of interest, check out the original remote bleeder on the Renault turbo PRVs.

This is AWESOME. Brilliant addition!

kings1527
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Has anyone had issues with the thread-type on his bleeder line? I tried to install mine yesterday and it was impossible. It was to the point where after attempting to get it in there, I looked at the threads of the bleeder line and it looked like it was starting to damage them. I tried several different angles, too, to see if maybe I was cross-threading. I know Hervey's stuff has had compatibility issues sometimes.

Plus, does anyone know of an adapter for the clutch reservoir so you can hook up a power bleeder?

Thanks!

Mark D
08-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Plus, does anyone know of an adapter for the clutch reservoir so you can hook up a power bleeder?

Thanks!

I made one with some simple parts purchased from the hardware store. I took a rubber stopper, drilled a hole thru the center, inserted a barb fitting from the bottom side and then hooked up my hose from the pressure bleeder to the barb protruding up through the top.

I can't find a picture of it, but it ended up similar to this:
http://www.humboldtmfg.com/rubber_stopper.html

kings1527
08-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I made one with some simple parts purchased from the hardware store. I took a rubber stopper, drilled a hole thru the center, inserted a barb fitting from the bottom side and then hooked up my hose from the pressure bleeder to the barb protruding up through the top.

I can't find a picture of it, but it ended up similar to this:
http://www.humboldtmfg.com/rubber_stopper.html

That's an awesome idea, Mark, and a great design. That's what I'm going to do. Thanks for that...hope all's well.

Trstno1
09-21-2014, 01:06 PM

So does that power bleeder come with the attachments for the master cylinder and clutch master fill tank? Also, does the power bleeder remove all fluid from brakes and clutch, or just remove the air? How does that really work. I'm a little confused about what it does and how it works.

Bitsyncmaster
09-21-2014, 01:27 PM
So does that power bleeder come with the attachments for the master cylinder and clutch master fill tank? Also, does the power bleeder remove all fluid from brakes and clutch, or just remove the air? How does that really work. I'm a little confused about what it does and how it works.

A power bleeder just puts air pressure on the top of the fluid tank. Then you don't need to pump the brake or clutch peddle, just open the bleed nipple. It pushes fluid in the lines which also pushes the air out of the bleeder.

A vacuum bleeder will pull the fluid and air from the bleeder nipple.

A check valve in a hose attached to the bleeder will let you do a "one man" bleed by pumping the pedal.