PDA

View Full Version : Barn Find, sitting for 20 years.

Pilot
09-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Look at the new project

Lwanmtr
09-10-2015, 01:13 AM
How much you pay for that one?

Pilot
09-10-2015, 02:18 AM
I flipped the guy for it and won. Cost me zero. What's it worth?

Lwanmtr
09-10-2015, 02:36 AM
lol..i hate you....hehe.

Worth depends whats woring with it....hope you'll post more pictures and show progress on your project.

Good luck on it :)

Dangermouse
09-10-2015, 09:14 AM
I flipped the guy for it and won. Cost me zero. What's it worth?

According to recent ads, at least $15k :)

Tell us more about it, condition (non-runner I assume) interior color, transmission, mileage, State and of course VIN

And how you ended up in a situation where you were flipping for a car ;)

Pilot
09-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Everything looks original, has 30000 miles. Gray interior, auto, they said everything function when it was parked in 1989 or 1990. The body is perfect except for a little dent in the front quarter where the molding it missing. You can hardly tell it's there. I had to look at it closely to make sure it was not suppose to be there. I'll post some pictures soon. The owners took the door panels off looking for the key code. I found it in 5 seconds so I need to put them back on. I did remove the steering lock to get it home. But can reuse the bolts.

Suggestions on where to begin? I plan to start on the fuel system. Replace plugs, wires, all hoses if needed and belts of course.

Also I was going to replace the struts as nothing stays up.

Also I was going to pay 5000.00. I think he joked about flipping and I said ok, tails. He looked at me, pulled out a quarter and tossed it in the air. You know the rest.

Lwanmtr
09-10-2015, 03:29 PM
I used vice grips to hold the doors open when I first had mine...quickly ordered new ones from dmcnw cause its a pain to hold the door while trying to lock the grips on the strut.

Sitting that long, fuel system is a good place to start..get that all flushed..then you know you wont be pushing bad stuff through the system when you try to get it running.

Domi
09-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Very nice find :)
Please keep us update:wink:

Pilot
09-10-2015, 10:54 PM
This is not the factory floor mat is it? And it had a car cover but it does36783n't look factory. Very thin.

Nicholas R
09-10-2015, 11:36 PM
This is not the factory floor mat is it? And it had a car cover but it does36783n't look factory. Very thin.

Good question; oddly enough my car had the exact same floor mats when I got it. I have since replaced them but this is the first time I've ever seen another owner with them. I always assumed they were just some aftermarket that my previous owner put in but now it makes me wonder.

Lwanmtr
09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Maybe the same person owned both your cars...would explain the same strange mats...hehe

Pilot
09-11-2015, 12:32 AM
What about the car cover, did they come with one?

Rich
09-11-2015, 12:39 AM

Congrats on the new project car.

No, the dealer accessory mats were nothing like those. Toss 'em when you are done renovating the car. Meantime they will make good mats for flushing the brakes and doing the clutch (5 spd?).

No, the cars did not come with car covers. A custom-fit beige cotton cover + storage bag was a DeLorean dealer accessory.

There are some existing threads on a full resurrection job like this. Fuel, brakes, engine is the usual order. It's not a small job.

Folks warn not to try running the fuel pump before you get clean gas into the fuel system. Whatever ex-fuel there is in the tank/pump needs to stay where it is.

This thread is a decent place to start on your fuel system adventure: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8409

DMCVegas
09-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Good question; oddly enough my car had the exact same floor mats when I got it. I have since replaced them but this is the first time I've ever seen another owner with them. I always assumed they were just some aftermarket that my previous owner put in but now it makes me wonder.

It's probably one of those generic, cheap, bulk accessories that dealerships buy to spruce up cars in order to jack up the asking price. Like those junk chrome accessories.

http://www.mycarworx.com/artwork/For_whHb_BandA.jpg

You actually see these things all the time and don't even realize it at first. Chrome-covered plastic trim pieces that stick over the entry-level steel wheels and black grilles. They'll even cut holes in the center so that the manufacturer logos on the front grilles, or on the hub caps shine through to make them look more "official" without having to pay licensing fees.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mVVLBBVbdef-4qRcbq9bXxg.jpg

$40 for some wheel covers? $350 markup for "chrome wheels". $30 for a grill cover? $500 markup for a "custom chrome grille". $10 for mudflaps with another $40 for chrome skins for mirrors and door handles? $600 "Appearance Package".

$5 back in 1981 for some cheap floor mats? Instant $90 DeLorean floor mats.

vps3922
09-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Look at the new project

Has it been in a cave behind wood boards with the initials "E.L.B." on it? :goatee:

FABombjoy
09-11-2015, 07:55 PM
I always assumed they were just some aftermarket that my previous owner put in but now it makes me wonder.
Mine came with these mats too. Now it really is a mystery... or a huge coincidence :D

Dangermouse
09-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Why is there being a WalMart across the road from the QAC a mystery ;)

DMC5180
09-12-2015, 12:04 AM
My guess on the aftermarket floor mats is that they were something one of the 80's aftermarket vendors were selling or all these cars were sold by the same dealership. QAC's would have no reason to install floor mats, they would use paper or plastic. Also Original dealer floor mats were Black only with the DMC logo.
I see these mats are Grey. So this was likely just an early aftermarket attempt to find something to work in the grey interior cars. The Grey floor mats with the black DMC logo available today was Something D1 had made to better fit the grey interior cars back in the 80's and has been continuously reproduced to this day.