PDA

View Full Version : Dual Fan Relay Mod w/ opt buzzer

Ron
08-16-2011, 04:44 AM

sean
08-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Help me understand why we want a buzzer? You implement this yet?

robvanderveer
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Help me understand why we want a buzzer? You implement this yet?

I guess he wants the buzzer when the engine gets too hot. The fans should run to keep the engine below this limit, no matter what. Anything could be the cause, air in your system, failing fans, or other problems. I quite like the idea.

Ron
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Help me understand why we want a buzzer?Because an Idiot Light (or Gauge) requires the idiot to look at the instrument panel.

You implement this yet?

No (See above LOL). On the old forum someone asked how to do a dual relay and use the fan fail light (#192) for an idiot light. Then someone said his wife never looks at gauges and asked about a beeper...
Just posting anything missing or useful I have for the resources section,...really!

TTait
08-16-2011, 12:22 PM
I like it. It may be overkill, but it might be nice to add a coolant pressure sensor - something that would close between 12 and 17 psi perhaps, and wire it in to be active whenever the temp is over 130 degrees. You would also turn on the buzzer if the pressure went high or low indicating a stuck radiator cap or a loss of coolant. A low coolant level float in the tank would work as well for the latter.

I bring it up because I once dumped 2 gallons of coolant on the freeway in 15 seconds or so when my otterstat blew out - I didn't see it and the temp gauge never twitched. I would have lost the engine had a passing motorist not pulled up next to me and warned me - I thought he was nuts because the dash indicated nothing awry.

A pressure sensor on the coolant would have saved me there. A cable tie around the otterstat makes sure it won't happen again.

I keep posting about this because its the simplest mod that can save your engine - and I assure you if it blows you won't have much time or warning.

Ron
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I like adding a low coolant light. I guess there is to much turbulence in the resivoir...wonder if there is enough meat to mount one on the radiator tank.

PO had a pull-tie on the Otterstat...I took the hint :smile:

Farrar
08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd rather just have the fan light come on when the fans are engaged -- just cover the word "fail" with electrical tape. :P

Farrar

Ron
08-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd rather just have the fan light come on when the fans are engaged -- just cover the word "fail" with electrical tape. :P

Farrarhehe
...so how much did replacement fans, acoustic boards, and a the sound system cost ya?

DMC3165
08-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Commercial trucks have had stuff like this for years. Truthfully i like the idea. Maybe not a "buzzer" per say, but a light chime with an acknowledge switch.

Chris 16409
08-17-2011, 03:11 AM
A cable tie around the otterstat makes sure it won't happen again.

Hey Tom, I installed a cable tie right after I read this in one of your previous posts. Very easy preventative maintenance. I don't actually use the outterstat since I installed Toby's adjustable fan switch. It just acts a plug for the coolant pipe. I wish I could eliminate that pipe and replace it with one without the hole.

TTait
08-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Hey Tom, I installed a cable tie right after I read this in one of your previous posts. Very easy preventative maintenance. I don't actually use the outterstat since I installed Toby's adjustable fan switch. It just acts a plug for the coolant pipe. I wish I could eliminate that pipe and replace it with one without the hole.

Granted...

All you need is a 12" generic water pipe, the flares near the end help with the seal but I think you'd be ok without them. Just measure the OD of the pipe and find it online or ask the guys at your local radiator shop to scare one up for you.

OK, you have two wishes remaining...