PDA

View Full Version : Frame repair ?

Pilot
09-18-2015, 07:31 PM
So I'm cleaned not up the frame and overall it's in really good shape. There is one area on the front where I have a hole. What do you guy think about how to repair. It's soft around the hole, but you can't push through the mental anymore.

jangell
09-19-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I found two holes under the engine subframe below the lower link arms. I knocked out all the bad metal (you want to get rid of anything that isn't solid steel, which means you'll be making the hole bigger), used an angle grinder to remove all the rusted metal and paint around the hole, learned to weld, welded a patch over it, covered it with POR-15 and painted. The break wasn't structural, so my amateur welding skills were sufficient here (if my weld falls, my car isn't going to fall apart suddenly, but I'll keep an eye on the repair all the same).

i documented what I did, if you want to see one approach to fixing a hole. As you can probably gather from the "I learned to weld" bit, I'm not exactly an expert here, but I think my repair is decent enough.

http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs-and-maintenance-blog/2014/6/8/rust-andholes-in-the-frame

-- Joe

Pilot
10-01-2015, 03:50 AM
Thanks