PDA

View Full Version : General Lowering question - do the lower links need to be modified?

nullset
08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I've heard some people say that lowering the rear of the car requires adjustable lower links. Is this correct?

Hervey told me that if I install his KYB shocks, I can adjust the rear height without changing the lower links, but I could've sworn I'd heard differently.

When installing lowering springs all around, what needs to be changed on the car for proper alignment/etc?

Thanks,

--buddy

stevedmc
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I've heard some people say that lowering the rear of the car requires adjustable lower links. Is this correct?

Hervey told me that if I install his KYB shocks, I can adjust the rear height without changing the lower links, but I could've sworn I'd heard differently.

When installing lowering springs all around, what needs to be changed on the car for proper alignment/etc?

Thanks,

--buddy

I have heard mixed responses to this. This is why I never installed the Eibach springs on the rear of 16510. Many people have installed them without adjustable lower links without any issues. Houston even sells the springs as a kit with Spax shocks and no adjustable links.

If I had installed the rear springs i would have done it with the adjustable lower links but cost is what kept me from doing it.

You can read about the adjustable links here:
http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts/adjarm.html

Basically the adjustable links will allow your alignment guy to do a more acurate alignment.

DCUK Martin
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
You don't need new springs on the rear to lower the car, just adjustable seats on the shocks. I would say don't go playing with the factory setup even when lowered, the change to camber is minimal anyway and it's set that way for a reason.

dn010
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I lowered mine and my rear tires wore out. The insides of the tread had the belts showing and the outside had plenty of meat left. This was when I used to drive daily... In my case, I've always thought about the adjustable links (never got them), and now I wish I had the adjustable shocks!

- This took a long long time and a lot of miles to happen, by the way...

DeloreanJoshQ
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I lowered mine and my rear tires wore out. The insides of the tread had the belts showing and the outside had plenty of meat left. This was when I used to drive daily... In my case, I've always thought about the adjustable links (never got them), and now I wish I had the adjustable shocks!

- This took a long long time and a lot of miles to happen, by the way...

How much did you lower the car? I was planning only to lower about .5". Do any of you think that 1/2" would cause wear issues?

dn010
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
How much did you lower the car? I was planning only to lower about .5". Do any of you think that 1/2" would cause wear issues?

I lowered mine a lot, I think you'll be fine with only lowering by 1/2.

sean
08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I lowered mine a lot, I think you'll be fine with only lowering by 1/2.

Did you lower it using lowering springs or did you go chop & swap?

dn010
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Did you lower it using lowering springs or did you go chop & swap?

I had the "chop n swap" installed for about a year and then I installed actual lowering springs. At that time I also needed to replace every bushing in the rear hubs, I'm sure the bad bushings and the swap method didn't do any good on my tires...

DCUK Martin
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Have you checked the toe-in? I got through two sets of rears before realising it was massively out.

dn010
08-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Have you checked the toe-in? I got through two sets of rears before realising it was massively out.

The last time I got an alignment, they said everything wasn't to far off (they also needed a lot of help to find the correct data for the alignment so, who knows?) I don't even remember what year that was- I've had this car so long, I'd have to look for the print out they gave me. I can say that it has not been to the alignment station in years, haven't even driven more than approx 15 miles in almost 2 years:sad30:. Once I get a new(er) frame for it, I'll have to get it aligned. My engine cradle and rear "Y" areas are pretty hole-y... After reading these ideas -who knows, maybe it was just a combination of rear alignment, bad bushings (they were frozen to the point the suspension couldn't even work), bad wheel bearings etc and lowering didn't have any real significant impact on it - which would be fine by me!

Perhaps others with lowered suspensions can chime in here, after all, it looks like I may have many other factors going on to post my findings with lowering and know the cause for sure...

DMCNY
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
You don't need new springs on the rear to lower the car, just adjustable seats on the shocks.

Do you know where these can be bought and can they be used with the stock shocks?

stevedmc
08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Do you know where these can be bought and can they be used with the stock shocks?

Almost every vendor sells rear adjustable shocks. Spax is available from Hervey and DMCH.