PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stage III thoughts?

ILM1010
09-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Hello People of Earth,

I'm trying to find info and reviews concerning a stage 3 upgrade to my Stage 2.

I want a little more pep out of the old gal.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

-Pete

Nicholas R
09-27-2015, 12:58 AM
This thread has a lot of discussion about Stage III. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2130-Stage-III-Supercharger-Upgrade-Thread

I think it's mostly from people that tried it out rather than those that purchased it but still a good discussion. Not sure how many owners have installed this by now. It hasn't gotten very much discussion lately but it could just be that the owners that install this aren't on DMCTalk.

Also below is an excerpt from the thread where Stephen Wynne talks specifically about the pricing and specifications of the package. Good luck in your decision! :thumbup:

Stage I, II and III pricing and details
by
DMCH Stephen
Published on 12-13-2011 05:45 PM
Stage I (parts only) - New stainless muffler, catalytic converters, headers, heatshield, DMC etched exhaust tips and brackets. Also includes fresh air intake, lambda sensor, ignition coil and K&N air filter. Hardware kit includes nuts, bolts, washers, exhaust mounts, exhaust manifold gaskets, flange gaskets and studs. $2149.00

Stage I (installed) All of the above, installed for $2695.00

------------------------------

Stage II (installed only) - All the items listed in Stage I, plus: Bosch silver tip spark plugs, sparkplug wire set, distributor cap and rotor, ported and polished heads (combustion chamber matched), camshafts with Stage II spec profile, 6 new injectors with seals. Parts replaced as part of the install process also include rocker cover gaskets, cylinder head gaskets, timing cover gasket and seals, intake o-rings and manifold gaskets, water pump bypass and heater hoses.

Installed price $5750

------------------------------

Many people got the chance to drive the Stage III at the track during the DMC Open House this past October, and it's now available for installation.

Performance numbers are an estimated 233hp and 230ft lbs of torque at the flywheel (based on the generally accepted 32% transmission/tire loss for horsepower and 20% loss of torque). Over three runs; one on a 90degree day and two the following morning with the temp in the mid-upper 70s, the max horsepower at the wheels was 157.53 and torque of 184.48. The low numbers on the 90 degree day were 153.97hp and 179.64 ft. lb.

Stage III (installed) - All the items listed for Stage I and Stage II, plus: Sprintex supercharger, crankshaft pulley, belt and tensioner, ECU and wiring harness, fuel enrichment add-on and all necessary ducting and plumbing.

Stage I to III - Includes Stage II and Stage III components - $11,495 (installed)

Stage II to III - Includes Stage III components - $8,695.00 (installed)

Pre-2011 Stage I and II installations may require redesigned muffler at additional cost ($279).

Any questions, please contact me directly at [email protected]

Regards,

Stephen Wynne

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
Tel: 800/872-3621 (USA only)
Tel2: +1-281/441-2537
Fax: +1-281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
http://www.facebook.com/deloreanmotorcompany

ILM1010
09-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Cool, thanks!

Delorean Industries
09-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Just get a hold of these guys direct. http://www.boostecus.com/

Tell them you want a super charger kit for a "volvo 760 2.8" They will tell you that they want nothing to do with DeLoreans and will be hesitant after getting screwed on the development of the system. The story is long and painful so just mustard through it. But he wants to be made whole again so just wave money and everything will be fine. You will also need to sign off on the fact that the fueling system developed to piggy back on the K jet doesn't work and that you will do your own fueling modifications that they are not responsible for. Play it cool and you can get the system pictured below for pennies on the dollar. Over all the quality of the casting and components are very clean. I don't blame the poor execution on the manufacture as he wasn't supplied a car for development/packaging. Just a bare engine.....

I worked to figure out why this system destroyed engines like mad and solved it in one afternoon of dyno pulls and a bottom end tear down. Factory piston to liner tolerance is too tight for boosted engines and in most cases is a couple thou under spec. Pistons literally seize to bore and crack upper ring lans.

Problem number one on boosting a stage II engine are the camshaft regrinds used. Failures come on rather quickly on the lobes and becomes exponentially worse with even moderate increased cylinder pressure. We tested the rockwell (hardness) of the failed regrinds and found considering inconsistencies between lobes.

Here is the bolt on configuration available. The system with pulley configuration puts out 4.8 psi consistently below intake temps of 105 degrees. As I have documented else where K jets fueling curve begins to fail with manifold temps over 115 degrees. This non intercooled configuration even with the extra injector leans out heavily above this.

ILM1010
09-27-2015, 06:26 PM
well this is sad

ILM1010
09-30-2015, 09:13 PM
well i guess nobody here approves of the stage 3 or is not interested due to it's price

According to Dave, DMCMW has yet to install one but Texas has and there haven't been any issues

Grover
10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
I think the issue is that with new vendors coming to market with performance parts you can get just as close to the specs of a Stage III from a N/A car, for less money.

For example, I took performance parts from DPI and DeLorean Europe and my Dyno HP came in at 142WHP. This could have been more but the dyno myself and two other members went to stopped at 6k RPM and my car can easily rev to 7kRPM. The MAX HP from the Stage III car they report was 157.53WHP.

For the price difference I do not see an increase of 15.53 HP to be worth $1,000's of dollars more than what I paid. Also, I retain the stock ecu and KJet that anyone can work on because it is all documented and available. If I really wanted to get more HP I could throw on EFI (my engine runs lean because KJet cannot supply enough fuel) and meet or surpass a Stage III in HP.

I was also using a very conservative dyno, so it would be more interesting to see both cars on the same calibrated dyno, as some read higher than others. Just my .02. I think it is great with what they came up with, but owners now have many more options than just a Stage II engine that in the past was one of the only package upgrades.

David T
10-01-2015, 11:53 AM
I think the issue is that with new vendors coming to market with performance parts you can get just as close to the specs of a Stage III from a N/A car, for less money.

For example, I took performance parts from DPI and DeLorean Europe and my Dyno HP came in at 142WHP. This could have been more but the dyno myself and two other members went to stopped at 6k RPM and my car can easily rev to 7kRPM. The MAX HP from the Stage III car they report was 157.53WHP.

For the price difference I do not see an increase of 15.53 HP to be worth $1,000's of dollars more than what I paid. Also, I retain the stock ecu and KJet that anyone can work on because it is all documented and available. If I really wanted to get more HP I could throw on EFI (my engine runs lean because KJet cannot supply enough fuel) and meet or surpass a Stage III in HP.

I was also using a very conservative dyno, so it would be more interesting to see both cars on the same calibrated dyno, as some read higher than others. Just my .02. I think it is great with what they came up with, but owners now have many more options than just a Stage II engine that in the past was one of the only package upgrades.

What you see here is the rule of diminishing returns. As you try to get more and more power the cost of each additional HP goes up. In the beginning the "low hanging fruit" so to speak is easy and less costly. The first 15 HP costs a magnitude less than the last 15 HP. You also have to consider durability and longevity. As you go to higher and higher power levels you break parts. One reason you see people doing engine swaps, there is more to gain at a lower cost but once you invest in the Stage I and then II they got you on a path to spend on their Stage III.

louielouie2000
10-01-2015, 03:36 PM
My biggest beefs with the Stage III setup are adding heat and mechanical complexity to the DeLorean engine compartment... all while not only retaining K-Jet, but also adding another layer to it; while also diminishing access to other parts of the engine. To me, that just sounds like a recipe for trouble, or at the very least, annoyance. If I were to drop $12k+ into a DeLorean for performance, those aspects would probably keep me away from the Stage III option.

Instead, I'd look at a Stage II/Spec 2 (I've noticed the Spec 2 natural aspiration option has been missing from DPI's website for some time), and then have DPI replace K-Jet with their EFI system. I have no doubt EFI would squeeze out some extra horsepower and smoothness from the PRV where it's really beneficial. More than anything, going EFI sans any sort of forced induction is just keeping the engine bay simpler, cooler, more compact, and undoubtedly more reliable. To me, those things are more important than the relatively small power jump Stage III affords you.

ILM1010
10-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Great! thanks for the feed back guys

Grover
10-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Great! thanks for the feed back guys

If you ever find yourself on the east coast around NJ I would be more than happy to let you check out what I've done. Additionally, if you have any questions just send me a PM and we can chat about cost/benefit and the best upgrades for your money. I have dyno results from three cars in our club, one member just did camshafts, one did cam shafts and exhaust and I went above and beyond that with other upgrades. It points directly to what Dave said above, once you get past the quick power jump for the least amount of money, to get the extra edge requires more $$ per HP that most people want to spend.