PDA

View Full Version : For Sale VIN03922 - Black interior - auto - 30k miles - BC, Canada - $35k USD

vps3922
09-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Hi all, I did not think that this day would come so quickly. I had dreamed of owning a DeLorean most of my life and almost 2 years ago it finally happened. I had a lot of fun restoring this beautiful car together with the help of Dave (sdg3205) and DMC NW (Thanks to Toby and Jon!!!!).

My wife and I finally decided to buy property in the lower mainland and the DeLorean is unfortunately a significant part of our planned downpayment. I therefore decided to say good bye to VIN 03922. A lot has been done to the car since I bought it in the end of 2013. I remember New Years eve when I went outside after 12 am and sat in it, barely able to grasp that I own a DeLorean. I am getting sidetracked.

I have to admit, a lot of money, tears, sweat and even a few drops of blood (read about it in my posts) went into restoring it, but it is a beauty. It threw a few curve balls, but I did overcome them. I am smiling whenever I see it and recently watching the Wheeler Dealers episode with the DeLorean let me see again that I am emotionally connected with this car.
But hey, downpayment or my D. Sadly, the downpayment wins.

Are you looking for a fully restored DeLorean with nearly nothing to do to it anymore (there is always something to do to an old car, but this one is as good as it is)? Then look no further.

Selling my fully restored 1981 DeLorean (VIN 03922). It has black interior and automatic transmission. The car just reached 30k miles(!). I have a complete service history since I bought the car and provide all receipts + a complete service manual (reprint). It is located in Burnaby, BC, Canada. The following work has been completed:

- complete engine refresh and full tune up (incl. beat blasting of several components and repainting them) (2014)
- replacement of the 30 year old cooling system with fresh pipes, a new DMC fuel pump, a new and enhanced (metal side reservoirs) radiator and a stainless steel reservoir (2014)
- installation of DeLoreanParts NorthWest coolant bleeder kit (2014)
- installation of DeLoreanParts NorthWest Wings-A-Loft keyless entry system and new door lock actuators (2014)
- replacement of trip reset shaft (2014)
- new rear tires and matching front tires (80% tread) (2014)
- new Motorola 120A alternator (2014)
- installation of new digital automatic transmission computer by DMCNW (2014)
- replacement of automatic transmission coolant pipes by DMCNW (2014)
- installation of Stage1 exhaust system by DMCNW (2014)
- installation of Eibach performance suspension (adjustable) (2014)
- installed cold air intake (2014)
- installed stainless steel braided fuel lines (2014)
- cleaned fuel tank and installed DMC Houston fuel pump and sender unit (fuel gauge working) (2015)
- replaced all running and internal lights with LEDs (2014)
- head lights are new Sylvana sealed head lights (old ones as spare) (2014)
- installed Dave McKeens solid state RPM relay, fan fail relay, fan relay and LED dimmer module (2015)
- installed LED pontoon foot well lighting (2015)
- installed DeClock improved clock with temperature sensor (battery buffered clock, etc.) (2015)
- radio repaired (except LCD display) and added AUX in, connected to MiccusRX Bluetooth receiver to pair with BT enabled music player/phone (2014)
- front speakers replaced with JBL speakers and rear with Infinity Kappa (2014)
- refilled AC with R12 (working and cooling fine) by DMCNW (2014)
- replaced front and rear wheel bearings (2014)
- replaced tie rod ends (2014)
- installed stainless steel braided break lines (only front but rear coming soon or will be coming with the car) (2015)
- replaced all headliners (2014)
- rebuild all calipers after cleaning, bead blasting and painting them (2015)
- new master break cylinder (2015)
- treated rust on frame with POR-15 and cleaned and painted LCA and anti roll bar (2015)
- cleaned and painted fuel tank closing plate (POR-15) (2015)
- bead blasted break booster and repainted it (2015)
- enforced rear light fixtures (2014)
- replaced spring in trunk release mechanism (2015)
- installed remote trunk release (spring killed actuator - waiting for replacement) (2014)
- repainted trunk and installed new labels (2015)
- repaired windshield wiper mechanism (2014)
- replaced windshield wipers (2014)
- installed sleeves on outbound drive shafts + replaced all seals on final drive (2014)
- new door struts from DMC (mid 2014)

What needs to be done?
The automatic transmission governor cable is leaking a bit ATF. These 30 year old cables had a poor design. DMCH revised the design and I already have the newly designed cable and a automatic transmission oil pan gasket, which you need once you replace the cable. The remote trunk release requires a new actuator (in progress).
The car is otherwise in great condition, starts every time and can be used as a daily driver.

What comes with the car?
- automatic transmission governor cable and AT oil pan gasket
- 2 new front tires matching to rear ones (can get installed if the current ones run down. This tire size is out of production for several years already)
- 3 DMC labeled key blanks (can be cut to complete two DMC labeled sets)
- Special-T noise reduction pad set (did not have the time to install it)
- one spare Sylvana high and low beam
- ThinkGeek Flux Capacitor USB charger
- few other odds and ends (labels, magazines, etc.)

I am a member and director of the Pacific Northwest Delorean Club (PNDC) and the car has been shown in the All British Field Meet (ABFM) 2014 and 2015, the Tsawwassan Sun Festival 2014 and Summerland Apple Valley Cruisers car show 2014. It has also been featured in a Vancouver Sun article (one copy comes with the car) 2015 (online version http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/these-classic-deloreans-offer-a-trip-back-in-time).

Thank you for reading. I can provide more and other detail photos, if needed. My friend Dave sold a few restored DeLorean to the US already and he is a good source of information if you wish to ship it to the US.

I want to thank the members of this forum for a great time and a lot of help during my ownership!!!! You guys rock!!! :thumbup:

Cheers!
Volker

Now a few pics:
37002370033700437005370063700737008370093701037011 37012370133701437015370163701737018370193702037021 37022370233702437025370263702737028370293703037031 37032370333703437035370363703737038370393704037041 37042

vps3922
09-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Uh, forgot to mention:

With the car comes as well:
- indoor car cover (branded "DeLorean Club of America")
- CPI stainless steel braided fuel return line (I did not bring it over me to cut the hard line to attach it, but the new owner can do it if he so chooses)

vps3922
09-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Oh, and please contact me by PM if you require more information or want to start a conversation. I can also provide my phone number in that case.

Thank you!

vps3922
10-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Now $34K USD.

Anyone?

I would like to see it going into good hands. Seems that there is no market for restored cars or mine is simply incorrectly priced. I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

vps3922
10-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Bump

10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I would trade my all-original for something like this, all the work you did looks great. The new owner will have a nice ride.

vps3922
10-22-2015, 02:09 PM
The new owner will have a nice ride.

He/she will, but so far no takers.

I took it out for BTTF day yesterday. It was also on the English and French CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/back-to-the-future-day-prompts-b-c-fans-to-celebrate-much-loved-trilogy-1.3282579).

It is just running and driving great, but nobody seems to be interested in a fully restored car. Price should be fair with the work that went into it. Still waiting for recommendations on improving my ad from the crowd or an offer. :cool1:

Dangermouse
10-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Personally I am shocked that this is still available. The ad has way more detail in it than normal.

The only thing that I can think of is that you are far away from Cali and the North East which seem to be the bigger markets. Perhaps offering to include shipping, or split the shipping cost in some way?

Video of it running, perhaps?

sdg3205
10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Volker,

Put it on AutoTrader.ca as well. And TraderOnline.com if you can. I got a lot of hits from those sites. People are always a little careful with Craigslist, and rightfully so!

vps3922
10-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Will do! Thanks Dave!

baldwinsusa
10-22-2015, 04:54 PM
To sell my completely refurbished DeLorean (by DMC California) in 2011 when I received orders to Europe, I humbly admit I took a $4k hit just to save myself further logistical problems by storing it with a friend, etc. Every car is different though, so its hard to say what the price "should" be. I tell people a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I was happy mine went to a great owner, and I still keep in touch. If its a must sell then I recommend you do some of the options suggested on this chain already, and I agree the distance may be an issue. Good luck. Also, I know we are discouraged from commenting on for sales if we aren't interested per say but you have asked some other questions. Cheers.

DMCMW Dave
10-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Location is a big deal on the higher-dollar cars. Folks will take a chance on a sight-unseen 15K car, but not on a 30K+ car. They will want to see it, so it helps if you are in a populated area and/or near a major airport.

Also to folks in the US the process of importing from Canada can seem to be an issue.

You might do better if Toby would consign it from the shop there.

vps3922
10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
You might do better if Toby would consign it from the shop there.

Thank you Dave. I already started to put this idea into his head but I will follow up with him next week. He was quite busy (like usually). :)

OkieTV
10-25-2015, 04:40 PM
I'll say this.. I'm in the southern Midwest-US. I'd KILL for this car, but the logistics are too great for me. I can afford the car, no problem, but the hassle of viewing the car in person (no passport, so cant come to it for like 6 months+) plus the hassle of getting it legally into the US, Plus the hassle of either driving it (not a chance) all the way to Oklahoma, or having it transported that far $$$$$...

In my world, it would be wiser to find one thats been setting neglected and to start the process over than to buy a finished one. The day may come eventually when the parts arent there, the neglect is too much... that the import process becomes worth it.

I wish you the best of luck, as suggested try autotrader, maybe even ebay.

vps3922
10-26-2015, 12:34 PM
I'll say this.. I'm in the southern Midwest-US. I'd KILL for this car, but the logistics are too great for me. I can afford the car, no problem, but the hassle of viewing the car in person (no passport, so cant come to it for like 6 months+) plus the hassle of getting it legally into the US, Plus the hassle of either driving it (not a chance) all the way to Oklahoma, or having it transported that far $$$$$...

In my world, it would be wiser to find one thats been setting neglected and to start the process over than to buy a finished one. The day may come eventually when the parts arent there, the neglect is too much... that the import process becomes worth it.

I wish you the best of luck, as suggested try autotrader, maybe even ebay.

Thanks! I went to DMCNW and talked to Toby and he will take it in consignment to make it easier for folks from the US to see. Dave (sdg3205) sold his last project to San Diego and told me that the logistics to transfer the car to the US are not that big of a deal (please chime in, Dave, if you wish).

I will try it on Autotrader for a few weeks and then bring it to Toby. I like that idea very much.

I just got contact ed by a potential buyer, but I have to first see if this contact is just a bot trying to get my contacts or somebody seriously interested. I'll keep y'all posted!And thanks for the tips!

sdg3205
10-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Yes, the import/export process always seems daunting but is really quite straight forward. If you use a shipper, they organize everything for you.

I don't know why, but when you IMPORT a car to the USA they KEEP all the paperwork, so if you send over originals, they keep the originals. So make copies to give to the import office.

Delta DeLorean
11-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Volker,
I agree with others, take the car to the usa and sell it in consignment with somebody you trust.
There is nothing to it, i have bought 2 cars and a farm tractor in the usa and the paper work is easy.
For some reason people don't want to buy or sell a car outside the usa. They assume it is difficult i gues.
This is way i still havent found a delorean in the usa to ship home to europe. Missed out on a great stage 2 car last week, was making shipping arrangment when somebody with cash in hand showed up and bought it.
Cant blame the seller, cash talks. But good deloreans sell very fast.
Would have been interested in your car but it is as you know over my 25 k budget!

vps3922
11-18-2015, 12:59 AM
This thread can be closed. The car got sold to a happy new owner in Ontario. His name is Michael (fuzzyfruit) and I leave it up to him to introduce himself as soon as he gets the car.

Thank you all for helping me over the past two years! You all have been a great help and an awesome crowd!

I will still look into the forum from time to time but not that often.

Please help Michael the same way like you help all the new owners on this forum. You guys rock! :aniclap::thumbup: