PDA

View Full Version : General Eaglemoss BTTF 1/8 scale Delorean

MML
09-30-2015, 06:55 PM
After building the 1/8th scale DB5 I swore I'd never subscribe to another partwork.
I may have to reconsider...

http://build-the-delorean.com/

At that scale it's a shame the detailing wasn't a bit sharper.

ILM1010
09-30-2015, 09:10 PM
only available in the UK!! I'm crying

Michael
09-30-2015, 09:37 PM
I see they replicated the headlight eyebrows

Soundkillr
10-01-2015, 11:34 AM

I saw that as well. Wow. Just wow man.

papanoel
10-01-2015, 01:20 PM

i'm impressed with what htey did with the eyebrows. i'm surprised this isn't more widely available though.

Michael
10-01-2015, 01:45 PM
i'm impressed with what htey did with the eyebrows. i'm surprised this isn't more widely available though.

LOL...That impressed you?

Too bad they didn't replicate the hood X, or make the doors sag and not stay up, maybe even a little puddle of brake fluid under the car.

Domi
10-01-2015, 03:04 PM
only available in the UK!! I'm crying

+1 that's too bad :(

bfloyd
10-02-2015, 03:08 PM
What exactly are they selling? The way I interpreted it, you subscribe to a magazine, and each month they send you a couple of pieces of a model and the magazine is nothing more than the instructions to put it together.... Subscribe long enough and you'll have a whole model car?

Did I read that right?

novadmc
10-02-2015, 03:18 PM
What exactly are they selling? The way I interpreted it, you subscribe to a magazine, and each month they send you a couple of pieces of a model and the magazine is nothing more than the instructions to put it together.... Subscribe long enough and you'll have a whole model car?

Did I read that right?

correct. there's a similar subscription based model kit out there for a 1:1 studio scale Millennium Falcon for $60/mo for 25 months (so ~$1500 total).
At ~$12/week for this kit, i suspect it'll probably be somewhere around the same price depending on the final number of issues (which i cant seem to find anywhere). so a nice kit, but probably theoretically too pricey for me (esp with the real car in the garage and needing/wanting real car parts for it).

Mario
10-02-2015, 03:24 PM

Looks to me like the fascia is perfectly flat, but they pulled it back a bit when it goes over the headlights. Like, if you were looking from above, it'd look like this:

| |
-----\______________/-----

To be fair, I thought that's how the fascias were for a while because a lot of the pictures I'd seen had eyebrows. When seen from certain angles, the eyebrows can make it look like the fascia juts out over the grill:

http://i.imgur.com/2MLRwkw.jpg

However, it makes it kind of apparent that they didn't really do their research because that's a pretty big detail to miss! If you'd even looked over a DeLorean in real life, it'd be obvious how the fascia is supposed to look.

Michael
10-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Read the fine print. There was a screen shot of the stipulations on tbe UK board. First, nowhere does is say how long you must subscribe. I would want a definite number before committing. Second, if they decide they are not making enough money, they can stop...leaving you with half a model and empty pockets.

Just a few things to consider. On the other hand, I would love to build that in my own way. In that scale there is so much potential for a pro modeler to make a masterpiece.

mluder
10-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Agreed with everything said... At least with the previously mentioned Millennium Falcon kit they tell you how many issues and you can do the math.
Seems kinda shady that there is no information on how many issues. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10' pole with a hook on the end that will hit the wire at exactly the same time as the lighting strikes the clock tower sending the 1.21 gigawatts directly into the flux capacitor and... well you get the point.

Cheers
Steven

Lwanmtr
10-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I dont understand why they dont just sell the whole kit as single purchase.

DMCVegas
10-02-2015, 05:07 PM
LOL...That impressed you?

Too bad they didn't replicate the hood X, or make the doors sag and not stay up, maybe even a little puddle of brake fluid under the car.

They did get the yellowed coolant bottle, as well as the partially-crushed ducting that comes off of the exhaust manifold stove...

MML
10-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Read the fine print. There was a screen shot of the stipulations on tbe UK board. First, nowhere does is say how long you must subscribe. I would want a definite number before committing. Second, if they decide they are not making enough money, they can stop...leaving you with half a model and empty pockets.

Just a few things to consider. On the other hand, I would love to build that in my own way. In that scale there is so much potential for a pro modeler to make a masterpiece.

When the 007 Aston Martin DB5 came out a couple of years ago, they stated that they actually manufacture all the parts up front so you're guaranteed to be able to finish the model. I think they said the same about this one, I recall seeing that somewhere...

MML
10-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Agreed with everything said... At least with the previously mentioned Millennium Falcon kit they tell you how many issues and you can do the math.
Seems kinda shady that there is no information on how many issues.

Cheers
Steven

Not sure why they didn't state it this time, but these releases usually run to 80 or so issues. The DB5 had 86.

MML
10-02-2015, 11:27 PM
I dont understand why they dont just sell the whole kit as single purchase.

I would be nice if they did! Beats waiting. I think it's mainly to spread the cost and make it affordable to anyone.