PDA

View Full Version : Changing the '06 GT's fuel filter?

Roman Legion
08-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I was not quite sure where to ask this, so fee free to do whatever with this thread. I wanted to know if anyone in the SW Virginia area could meet me and help me change my fuel filter on the Mustang. I still have my fuel filter sitting around in my room for the past few months. I would really appreciate any assistace I can get, if not, then oh well.

Dangermouse
08-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Would one of the various Mustang forums not have a "how-to"?

Roman Legion
08-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Would one of the various Mustang forums not have a "how-to"?

I was told I could post Mustang related topics here, I don't like Mustang forums.. Personal reasons. The thing is not so much how to as much as it is my lack of tools and yes, lack of automotive knowledge is still a major factor here. See below for post giving permission to post about other vehicles. Now back to my original question; Is there anyone in or around the SW Virginia area that can offer assistance in changing my fuel filter?

Unfortunately no. DMCTalk is going to remain a strictly delorean-based forum. You are still free to ask any questions revolving around your other cars, but we really don't get that many questions to warrant another forum.

Found here -> http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?753-Other-car-talk-forums

sean
08-17-2011, 07:51 AM
I was told I could post Mustang related topics here

Absolutely you can post these types of queries here, Im just not sure what kind of response you will get.

I don't like Mustang forums.. Personal reasons.

Gotta be the Moderators:wink:

Dangermouse
08-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Jared,

I was not implying that you can't post Mustang questions here. I read your OP that you needed assistance which I took to mean assistance from someone who knew how to change a fuel filter on a 06 Mustang.

You don't have to get along with the guys on the Mustang forum to read their "how to's"

But now I understand what you mean. Carry on.

Roman Legion
08-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Jared,

I was not implying that you can't post Mustang questions here. I read your OP that you needed assistance which I took to mean assistance from someone who knew how to change a fuel filter on a 06 Mustang.

You don't have to get along with the guys on the Mustang forum to read their "how to's"

But now I understand what you mean. Carry on.

Again, I lack the tools.. And no, I cannot simply go out and get them or pay someone to change it for me as I am in the hole financially right now, negative balance.. So I really hope a local member can provide whatever assistance they can as my car is just at the 40k mark and I have never changed the filter, I have wanted to, but never had the opprotunity to do so and I very much want to keep my car running as best I can. That car is not just a machine to me, it has been my transportation, office, bedroom, quiet spot.. Et Cetera.. For the entire duration of ownership, the least I can do is keep her mechanically sound and since I lack the requirements to do so, I am going with the only viable option I have left, which is to ask an automotive community. I know my car is no DeLorean, but this is the only good automotive community out there that I don't believe is filled entirely with a bunch of F**k heads. I mean it is bad enough the oil is now way beyond the mark for changing, I have a bad tire and expired state inspection sticker and my car is almost at the point of running on fumes. I have the part sitting here, ready for installation but I don't have the tools or anything to put it in. Surely there is a local member here, D owner or not, just one that has some tools that they could bring by, maybe even help me put it in; I don't think that is such a huge favour to ask.

nofear365
08-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Just did a quick google and it appears that it's not very hard to do. Check this out:

How do I change the fuel filter on my 2006 mustang GT? I did a search and couldn't find out.

Thanks, jk

and...

Very annoying process. You gotta jack the car up on the driver side and there is a skid plate around the door area under the car. Take it off and there's the filter.

and...

No push on tool necessary. Just a couple of metric wrenches.

I don't think it's anything you can really botch up. Should be pretty straight forward. Don't panic when the car doesn't fire up right away after you swapped the filter. It's normal. May take a few times to get it going.

GOod luck and enjoy.

Roman Legion
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Not trying to be an asshole here, but am I not being clear on the key message I am trying to convey?

I (Roman Legion) do not have any tools (To include wrenches or wratchets or whatever) and I am too poor (Having a negative bank account balance and no credit card) to afford the required tools or even to pay someone (A professional) to do the job for me. Doing the job is NOT the issue, having a local member here with tools to come over and allow me to use them, maybe even assist a bit is the issue and basis of this thread. It is not a matter of doing, unless I can MacGyver some metric tools to even get the plate protecting the fuel filter off, I will need help (Tool wise).

sean
08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I think the general theme here is Legion aint got the resources.

08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Not trying to be an asshole here, but am I not being clear on the key message I am trying to convey?

I (Roman Legion) do not have any tools (To include wrenches or wratchets or whatever) and I am too poor (Having a negative bank account balance and no credit card) to afford the required tools or even to pay someone (A professional) to do the job for me. Doing the job is NOT the issue, having a local member here with tools to come over and allow me to use them, maybe even assist a bit is the issue and basis of this thread. It is not a matter of doing, unless I can MacGyver some metric tools to even get the plate protecting the fuel filter off, I will need help (Tool wise).

2 options I can think of for you: When I was a kid we had an auto shop where you could bring in your ride and have students work on it for free, you supplied the parts they did the labor. The owner got to watch so that the job was done to a certain standard.

Or drive around to any auto parts store and find someone doing a job in the parking lot, jack up your car ask if they'd mind showing you how to do the job and buy them a cup of coffee of a beer. If you can afford gas you can afford a beer or 1 cheap adjustable wrench to do the job yourself and then return the wrench and get your money back.

That's 3 options that will all work.

Roman Legion
08-18-2011, 02:04 AM
2 options I can think of for you: When I was a kid we had an auto shop where you could bring in your ride and have students work on it for free, you supplied the parts they did the labor. The owner got to watch so that the job was done to a certain standard.

Or drive around to any auto parts store and find someone doing a job in the parking lot, jack up your car ask if they'd mind showing you how to do the job and buy them a cup of coffee of a beer. If you can afford gas you can afford a beer or 1 cheap adjustable wrench to do the job yourself and then return the wrench and get your money back.

That's 3 options that will all work.

I don't know of any local auto shops with students.. I tried the parking lot thing already, failed miserably as people suck! Yet again, I have a Negative bank balance (Definition of Negative - Consisting in or characterized by the absence rather than the presence of distinguishing features.) and my car is just about on fumes. (Definition of running on fumes - Describing a car or other form of transport that is running very low on fuel.) I cannot spend money that does not exist to buy anything.. Even with the intention of returning it immediately after; for that plan to work I would have to get it on special five finger discount. Is this really so hard to get anyone on the site to help me out. Do I smell, is it me in some way that seems to repel anyone, be it in person on via the internet. I read stories about members here all the time giving things to eachother, lending a hand in person with something.. et cetera.. All I am asking for is for a local member to come by with some tools, so I can use said tools to gain access to the fuel filter and replace it. Is this really that much of an unreasonable request? Maybe my lack of faith in the slightest modicum of Humanity is well place, as it always seems to be. If nobody really wants to offer this tidbit of assistance to me, I guess I will just leave it in and go this alone as I always seem to do.

nofear365
08-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Jeez are you kidding me!?!?!?

Good luck dude... :screwy:

sean
08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Is this really that much of an unreasonable request? Maybe my lack of faith in the slightest modicum of Humanity is well place, as it always seems to be. If nobody really wants to offer this tidbit of assistance to me, I guess I will just leave it in and go this alone as I always seem to do.

Dang guy, maybe no one in your area is on here or reading this thread.

Also, aren't you in the military? I thought you were going to training or deployment? Was that you or someone else?

Michael
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Dude, you need to get a grip and chillax.

I'm going to tell you what someone should have told you a long time ago. SELL THAT DAMN CAR! If what you are saying in other threads is true, you have a car that's worth 16-20k dollars, yet you don't have 2 nickels to rub together. That damn car is stretching and stressing you out. Just think how much better you would feel with some coin. Take that car and clean it up, then put it on Craigslist TODAY! Put a cheap price on it and rip the first person's arm off who comes with cash. Don't make excuses about how that's the first car you bought, or it gives me a good feeling knowing that I have something nice. Don't find excuses to keep it because there just aren't any. You need to take that cash, get yourself some decent clothes(you did say in other threads that both your clothes and shoes were "riddled with holes"), and buy yourself a decent 2-4k dollar car, and start yourself 2 accounts, one savings with the majority of the money, and one checking with a check card with 1-2k dollars in it for your purchasing/walking around money. Get a card with a good points system, and search for banks with good deposit incentives. If you have 10k to deposit, they will "appear".

Just think how much money you will save on gas and insurance alone with an old Accord or Camry in the driveway. Now you have a little money to enjoy your life.

I am assuming you are early 20's in age right? I'm 40, I bought my Delorean at 37 and it was the FIRST expensive car I had ever owned. Until then the most I had ever shelled out for a car was around 5-6k. I went in debt for my first car(a used one at that...but flashy) and once that was paid off I swore I would never go in debt for a car again. I didn't make much money at ALL at 20. Just because you are approved for a loan, doesn't mean you can afford it. You may have been making good money when you bought it, but obviously, things have changed since then. If you bought it new, then it probably stickered for around 25k, plus all the intrest you paid, you have a 30k+ hunk of metal out there thats barely worth half of that now....and is loosing value every week.

Really, I'm not saying this to be mean, just about everyone has been there. I went through a bout of depression when I got laid off one summer thinking I was never going to be "successful" But that car is killing you man. This country lives on debt AND IT'S KILLING ALL OF US. Don't fall for it, sell the car, live within your means, and when the money does come, THEN reap the rewards of your hard work. You are doing it backwards by getting the perks now and not waiting for them....and look how that's working. If that car had some problem like, say a waterpump went bad, then you are pretty much done for. Don't wait for it to happen. If I were you I just might go to the dealerships and offer it to the used car manager, you would be lucky to get wholesale for it, but you would walk out today with a check in your hands.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkrj4dC7so1qanwgwo1_500.jpg

nofear365
08-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Dude, you need to get a grip and chillax.

I'm going to tell you what someone should have told you a long time ago. SELL THAT DAMN CAR! If what you are saying in other threads is true, you have a car that's worth 16-20k dollars, yet you don't have 2 nickels to rub together. That damn car is stretching and stressing you out. Just think how much better you would feel with some coin. Take that car and clean it up, then put it on Craigslist TODAY! Put a cheap price on it and rip the first person's arm off who comes with cash. Don't make excuses about how that's the first car you bought, or it gives me a good feeling knowing that I have something nice. Don't find excuses to keep it because there just aren't any. You need to take that cash, get yourself some decent clothes(you did say in other threads that both your clothes and shoes were "riddled with holes"), and buy yourself a decent 2-4k dollar car, and start yourself 2 accounts, one savings with the majority of the money, and one checking with a check card with 1-2k dollars in it for your purchasing/walking around money. Get a card with a good points system, and search for banks with good deposit incentives. If you have 10k to deposit, they will "appear".

Just think how much money you will save on gas and insurance alone with an old Accord or Camry in the driveway. Now you have a little money to enjoy your life.

I am assuming you are early 20's in age right? I'm 40, I bought my Delorean at 37 and it was the FIRST expensive car I had ever owned. Until then the most I had ever shelled out for a car was around 5-6k. I went in debt for my first car(a used one at that...but flashy) and once that was paid off I swore I would never go in debt for a car again. I didn't make much money at ALL at 20. Just because you are approved for a loan, doesn't mean you can afford it. You may have been making good money when you bought it, but obviously, things have changed since then. If you bought it new, then it probably stickered for around 25k, plus all the intrest you paid, you have a 30k+ hunk of metal out there thats barely worth half of that now....and is loosing value every week.

Really, I'm not saying this to be mean, just about everyone has been there. I went through a bout of depression when I got laid off one summer thinking I was never going to be "successful" But that car is killing you man. This country lives on debt AND IT'S KILLING ALL OF US. Don't fall for it, sell the car, live within your means, and when the money does come, THEN reap the rewards of your hard work. You are doing it backwards by getting the perks now and not waiting for them....and look how that's working. If that car had some problem like, say a waterpump went bad, then you are pretty much done for. Don't wait for it to happen. If I were you I just might go to the dealerships and offer it to the used car manager, you would be lucky to get wholesale for it, but you would walk out today with a check in your hands.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkrj4dC7so1qanwgwo1_500.jpg

+1

08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Somehow I omited this, the auto shop was in my "high school", check your local school system to find if you have one in your area, if so contact the head of the school and make an appointment.

Then either sell your car or find a job or second job or 3rd job. Deliver pizza, wash dishes, clean cars, mow lawns, rake leaves or whatever puts a few bucks in your pocket.

I live within 20 miles of a couple of owners but I'd never "EXPECT" one to just come over to show me and lend me tools.

you need to step back from your current vantage point and re-evaluate (spelling) your position.

Roman Legion
08-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Somehow I omited this, the auto shop was in my "high school", check your local school system to find if you have one in your area, if so contact the head of the school and make an appointment.

Then either sell your car or find a job or second job or 3rd job. Deliver pizza, wash dishes, clean cars, mow lawns, rake leaves or whatever puts a few bucks in your pocket.

The local High School does not have an Automotive program, as I used to be a student there and this is a broke school system.

There are no jobs here at all.. When you put applications in with fast food restaurants and they don't call you, you know you are screwed. I have sold some of my things for cash, but there is only so much I can make there.

The car was bought used for $19k back in 2008, and with it's previous listed history on the recent report, I doubt it would sell for very much. It apparently had been a repo car and had frame damage from the previous owner. The car is tip top condition aside from needing some maintenance work done. So I doubt it will sell for the price you think it would sell for.

My father has an issue with his van, he does not own it yet, still paying for the loan. That van is a piece of crap and draining him of money he does not have. How might he get rid of that van and get an older used van? Any ideas there?

08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
The local High School does not have an Automotive program, as I used to be a student there and this is a broke school system.

There are no jobs here at all.. When you put applications in with fast food restaurants and they don't call you, you know you are screwed. I have sold some of my things for cash, but there is only so much I can make there.

The car was bought used for $19k back in 2008, and with it's previous listed history on the recent report, I doubt it would sell for very much. It apparently had been a repo car and had frame damage from the previous owner. The car is tip top condition aside from needing some maintenance work done. So I doubt it will sell for the price you think it would sell for.

My father has an issue with his van, he does not own it yet, still paying for the loan. That van is a piece of crap and draining him of money he does not have. How might he get rid of that van and get an older used van? Any ideas there?

You and your situation sound destitute. If times are that bad for you you cut your losses sell things of value and start from scratch. Were you going into the military? what happened with that? we need to understand you and your situation a bit better before we can offer sound advice, maybe you are unemployable, are you working at all now? welfare dept. and or unemployment offices usually have a list of availible jobs, get out and look.

As mentioned above sell your car for what you can get for it, buy a used something or other and pocket the rest for a freash start. I'd rather have a roof over my head and a bus ticket then a nice little car and no roof.

Your dad should be able to figure out his own problems, he's made it this far. But the same applies to him.

Roman Legion
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
You and your situation sound destitute. If times are that bad for you you cut your losses sell things of value and start from scratch. Were you going into the military? what happened with that? we need to understand you and your situation a bit better before we can offer sound advice, maybe you are unemployable, are you working at all now? welfare dept. and or unemployment offices usually have a list of availible jobs, get out and look.

As mentioned above sell your car for what you can get for it, buy a used something or other and pocket the rest for a freash start. I'd rather have a roof over my head and a bus ticket then a nice little car and no roof.

Your dad should be able to figure out his own problems, he's made it this far. But the same applies to him.

Destitute.. I have been through worse as a kid. I tried everything I knew of, got turned down for unemployment, apparently I did not 'make enough' to get that. I tried the employment commission, but nothing ever came out of that. I will try welfare again, but never seem to hear back from them. No, I have no civilian job, I am in the Army Reserves, but they money I get from drill is not enough to cover crap. I am on the verge of just fully quitting on everything.. I am stuck in a very rural area, a car really is neccesary for a viable mode of transportation, there are no buses, no public transportation at all. I used to live in a very urban setting and that would work, but we left due to our inability to afford living there. My car is about the only thing I have left, it is paid off already, I just need to use someone's tools to change my fuel filter.. I guess the old filter will have to just stay in for now.

08-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Destitute.. I have been through worse as a kid. I tried everything I knew of, got turned down for unemployment, apparently I did not 'make enough' to get that. I tried the employment commission, but nothing ever came out of that. I will try welfare again, but never seem to hear back from them. No, I have no civilian job, I am in the Army Reserves, but they money I get from drill is not enough to cover crap. I am on the verge of just fully quitting on everything.. I am stuck in a very rural area, a car really is neccesary for a viable mode of transportation, there are no buses, no public transportation at all. I used to live in a very urban setting and that would work, but we left due to our inability to afford living there. My car is about the only thing I have left, it is paid off already, I just need to use someone's tools to change my fuel filter.. I guess the old filter will have to just stay in for now.
Offer someone a ride to work for gas money. Sell newspapers! But stop crying about changing out an old fuel filter. why not re up with the army full time?

When you say quitting on everything some get scared for you thinking you may quit on life itself. Why not go to your CO and discuss options, they also employ doctors that may help you. Stop obsessing about your filter.

jmettee
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I know the thread is about changing the filter, keep looking around. Ask friends if they can help or if they have another friend with tools. You'll find something.

As others said, you need to sell the car. With no/little income, having a car like yours is killing you. Trade down for something reliable & economical....a used Civic, Corolla, etc.

Jobs: keep trying & you'll find something. If you say there's nothing & you aren't looking anymore, you won't find anything. If you're in a rural area, find a farmer & see if he can pay you to help around the farm. Farmers always need help. Farmers always have tools, maybe you can do some work in exchange for help or borrowing tools or his assistance.

Finally, have you trimmed all the fat?
-Paying for dish/cable....kill it
-Smoking/dipping....quit it (this alone is a huge money monster)
-Internet....how do you have internet if you have no money?
-Magazine or any other subscriptions? End them.

There are probably still things you can do to cut living costs, realizing them & giving them up are the first step to getting in the black.

Best of look & keep trying. Don't give up. :thumbup:

Roman Legion
08-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Offer someone a ride to work for gas money. Sell newspapers! But stop crying about changing out an old fuel filter. why not re up with the army full time?

When you say quitting on everything some get scared for you thinking you may quit on life itself. Why not go to your CO and discuss options, they also employ doctors that may help you. Stop obsessing about your filter.

Have you been in the National Guard or Reserves? If you have, then you should know how very hard and unlikely it is they will let you go to active duty. I will not go to my CO, I have seen first hand what they do to people when you go to them, the guy I knew was medically discharged and this being my only source of income, not a viable option. Quitting on life may scare others, but it sound more comforting and relieving.

I know the thread is about changing the filter, keep looking around. Ask friends if they can help or if they have another friend with tools. You'll find something.

As others said, you need to sell the car. With no/little income, having a car like yours is killing you. Trade down for something reliable & economical....a used Civic, Corolla, etc.

Jobs: keep trying & you'll find something. If you say there's nothing & you aren't looking anymore, you won't find anything. If you're in a rural area, find a farmer & see if he can pay you to help around the farm. Farmers always need help. Farmers always have tools, maybe you can do some work in exchange for help or borrowing tools or his assistance.

Finally, have you trimmed all the fat?
-Paying for dish/cable....kill it
-Smoking/dipping....quit it (this alone is a huge money monster)
-Internet....how do you have internet if you have no money?
-Magazine or any other subscriptions? End them.

There are probably still things you can do to cut living costs, realizing them & giving them up are the first step to getting in the black.

Best of look & keep trying. Don't give up. :thumbup:

I only had two friends and they moved away, so I am left to my own devices; I don't really know anyone.

My car is the last real thing that I have no let go and I don't really want to let it go for a Honda or Toyota.

There really are no jobs in this place, considering this area over the past few years has lost about 10% of the population due to lack of jobs, that really speaks for itself. I have tried everywhere in this place, there is nothing here. The farms are family owned and operated, I know this because I explored that avenue already.

I have no fat to trim.. I have no dish or cable; I don't smoke or dip; Internet.. My neighbour has an unprotected wifi connection; I don't have any subscriptions or anything. The only money I really have going out is rent, insurance, gas (Whenever I can afford it), every once in a while maitinence costs, I had money going out for some stocks and an IRA, but I have almost entirely depleted my IRA and I would really hate to sell my stocks (What little I have) as that is quite a bit of work lost if I do so. I also have my credit card with several hundred in debt that I cannot pay. No idea what there really is to cut. It seems every time I try I fail, have never succeeded and I am just getting tired of wasting effort to just fail. giving up really seems much more comforting, maybe I can finally be at peace, you know?

TheDutchTexan
08-19-2011, 03:14 AM
You need to get help, professional help. The easy way out is for pussies.

Let me tell you something...

I have not been my normal self for months. I am not happy where I am at, am sick and tired of working weekends and have been looking for a Monday-friday type job on and off for about half a year now. I want to get out, need to get out, for my own sanity. But the jobs are just not there in my field, and the replies I do get tell me others where more qualified for the position. I do not know what I want more, hearing nothing, or hearing others are better than me.

Going to school is not an option, the field I am interested in would cost me 30k alone for the base education (car mechanic). And that is 30k I can not afford to spend without putting my family trough hardship. The risk of not finding a job after graduating would be too great. And I would also need to work full time during school to make ends meet. This is an impossibility. I can not go to school and work full time at the same time. I can only dedicate myself to one thing at a time. Either work, or school. Both would mean failure to obtain a degree, and loss of a job because of my increased irritability.

I am depressed, but it seems as of late I am clawing my way out of the hole, but sometimes still fall back in on certain days. Especially when it is bad at work, when certain people sandbag, making others work harder.

I am trying to get more involved at the place I am right now, but I am still looking for other work. I might as well make the best of it. Finding a job is easier with a job, and who knows, sooner or later someone has to get me in for an interview, and get me hired. I am putting the bar higher at the jobs I am applying for, I am not interested in a lower paid job in exchange for weekends. I need to be better off, and that only works with upward movement. Be it at my current job (20-30 cents a year raises, but it is what it is) or at another job, where I aim for at least a buck more an hour.

I have a family, quitting is not an option. And besides, I got to make money to get that DeLorean!

Nut up or shut up. You are not the first, and will not be the last going trough this crap.

Don't ask if you can go active duty. Ask your CO what YOU need to do to become active duty. That places the burden on them, and shows that you are serious about becoming active duty. Asking "can I become active duty" is a dumb question, because the answer should always be "yes I can". If you ask what you need to do they should provide you with a path you can follow. Be it a simple form, or a application process. There is no way they would can someone for inquiring about the steps one has to take to become active duty. They'd be out of soldiers.

Mike C.
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but how do you know your fuel filter needs to be replaced?

Is it just because of the milage, because of maintenance schedules, or is your car having some kind of difficulty?

Because honestly, unless it's preventing your car from running, let it go until you have some spare cash. Why do you HAVE to do it right now? Im all for maintaining cars, but you need money to maintain a car, and it seems you just can't come up with it.

I've seen a fuel filter clog to the point a car would not run anymore, but i've yanked em off of cars with 90k+ miles off of cars still running normally. I know it's not optimal, but the point being is your car is still driveable to get you to point a and b until you can scrape up some dough.

Honestly, if you can't afford to put GAS in the car, sell the car. It doesnt matter what you WANT or dont WANT to drive, it's what you NEED to apparently survive at this point. I'd rather drive a $2k civic that ran and got 35mpg versus a mustang GT that needs premium and gets 15mpg, especially if I can't afford to fix the GT.

08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
For what it's worth Roman Legion I never take action on any major decision unless I think it over for 72 hours. This gives me time to ask others thoughts and opinions on the matter and evaluate the responses I got.

Asking those in the family are far better than strangers in a forum for advice as they are privy to you and your personal background.

Answers are out there, maybe take a step back and look again in a couple of days.