PDA

View Full Version : BASEBALL Thread.

xjoshsmallx
08-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't know if their is one of these already made. If so, forgive me.

I can't take my eyes off this Braves game with the Giants.
Go Braves!

Yesterday was an awesome and last minute win, today is looking promising at the 5th inning, but anything can happen.

What is everyone else's team?

sean
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-LvJrOAEL._fan-gearku_.jpg

Also, while I reside in the same state, I despise the braves. If I had to pick an NL team, the Cubs would be it.

xjoshsmallx
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-LvJrOAEL._fan-gearku_.jpg

Also, while I reside in the same state, I despise the braves. If I had to pick an NL team, the Cubs would be it.

Yearss ago, Braves used to belong to Boston.
Boston Braves. Doesn't roll off the tounge as well as Atlanta.

sean
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Yearss ago, Braves used to belong to Boston.
Boston Braves. Doesn't roll off the tounge as well as Atlanta.

Yes, I know, please don't remind me I'd rather avoid any association with this fair weather bandwagoning town of "fans".

xjoshsmallx
08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes, I know, please don't remind me I'd rather avoid any association with this fair weather bandwagoning town of "fans".

Hahaha!

It is SO bad up here in northern California with the Giants.

Jonathan
08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Great thread :) ...and good timing. Field of Dreams was on TV tonight. Man I forgot how good that movie is. Kevin Costner is top shelf IMO (actually happened to watch JFK last weekend too).

I have always been a Blue Jays and Dodgers kinda guy. But over the last couple seasons I have been absolutely glued to the set for the Jays games. Tough division, but loads of excitement in their line-up. Would be awesome to see 50k+ per game back in the seats at SkyDome.

...I was debating putting this in the "Personalized Plates" thread, but I'll post it here instead. I just ordered these on the weekend. They'll be on the Pontiac in 30 days or less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7i7efpX4HQ

Dangermouse
08-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Help me understand something please. Baseball isn't in my genes but i can watch a MLB game over a few beers and enjoy it. But what is the fascination with televised Little League Championship??

I was in Dave & Busters on Friday night and in the bar they have three huge screens. Being in Atlanta, the Falcons are on one, Braves on another and a Little league Championship game ( or something) is on the third. Why?

Who wants to watch a bunch of pre-teens play little league baseball? Now I understand if it is your son or relative but to watch a bunch of strangers kids play is a little odd IMHO.

Is it simply that some people will watch anything as long as it is classified as 'sport'?

sean
08-21-2011, 06:24 AM
But what is the fascination with televised Little League Championship??

Probably a combination of nostalgia, the fact that the game is considered our national past time and if their can be considered a pure version of the sport little league would be it. I'd find it hard to believe that, if given the chance, Dermot would not be consumed by interest if the Ireland 13U national soccer team was squaring off against Brazil's team in a global proving ground. Take that situation and replace soccer with baseball, Ireland with any American team and brazil with an asian or Cuban team and you have the reason why we Yanks will watch the game.

GS450-Junkie
08-21-2011, 01:28 PM
21-3 in the last 24 games. Go Crew !!

Dangermouse
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Probably a combination of nostalgia, the fact that the game is considered our national past time and if their can be considered a pure version of the sport little league would be it. I'd find it hard to believe that, if given the chance, Dermot would not be consumed by interest if the Ireland 13U national soccer team was squaring off against Brazil's team in a global proving ground. Take that situation and replace soccer with baseball, Ireland with any American team and brazil with an asian or Cuban team and you have the reason why we Yanks will watch the game.

Prepare for disbelief :)

My interest in a U13 Ireland- brazil game would only be in national pride. A couple of column inches in theSunday paper would suffice to let meknow the result. I have watched enough U13 games to know that they generally aren't very good, even when my offspring are playing. Having to watch somebody else kids play is of no interest to me. The only thing worse that comes to mind is having to watch a middle school play that my kids aren't in :)

So I can understand a local interest in LL if an Atlanta team we playing but as far as I could see, there wasn't. Even then, showing it live on prime time ESPN ?

I appreciate your analogy but for me it falls down at the first hurdle - I have no interest in televised middle school sports.

And why just baseball? I don't see any peewee football or basketball games televised.

sean
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
My interest in a U13 Ireland- brazil game would only be in national pride.

Again, its suppose to be our national past time so I'd expect national pride to be a substantial reason it's airing.

And why just baseball? I don't see any peewee football or basketball games televised.

Give it time, Disney just a signed a long term deal to continue hosting the pop Warner super bowl (http://www.popwarner.com/articles/ESPN_extension.asp). Since Disney, espn and abc are related I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sooner than later

08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Not looking to argue with anyone over my choice of teams as I'm far from a "FANatic", more of a what is so and so doing these days. But from my days as a kid I pull for the "Beloved" Yankees and J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last Yankee team I paid any real attention to was when Donny Baseball played (That would be Don Mattingly to you non watchers), the man played with class and was one of the best of his day. When I Yankee goes to Boston and gets cheered you know he's respected. And I did love the defense of the 80's JETS with the sack exchange.

Dangermouse
08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Again, its suppose to be our national past time so I'd expect national pride to be a substantial reason it's airing.

Well there you go! You learn something every day. After a little on-line research, I discovered something I hadn’t realized before; that this LL BB World Series actually has other teams from round the world, unlike the MLB World Series, which, eh, doesn't. :)

So I can understand a certain national pride in this championship, though I'll ignore questioning why the US has 8 teams and whole other continents only have one. Would seem to stack the odds slightly in one direction :biggrin:

(It's still middle-school sports-day on Prime Time Friday ESPN drinking time! And you can't even bet on it :) )

Moving on - Soccer season has started - yea baby

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1340-SOCCER-%28a.k.a.-proper-FOOTBALL%29-thread

Jonathan
09-11-2011, 09:46 AM
So we have about 3 weeks left of the regular season. Any playoff predictions?

I'd say the Yankees have the AL East locked up, but I'm not so sure about the Red Sox getting the wild card. The Rays are getting close. I know Sean won't want to hear this, but I don't think this is the Red Sox's year if you only look as far as their starting pitching. Hard to say out of the AL... I give a shot to the Angels and Rangers, but have to go with the Rangers.

Hard to bet against the Phillies this year in the NL... maybe the Brewers can upset them. Sorry to the D-Backs, but nothing victorious is going to come out of the NL West.

My vote goes for the Phillies to beat the Rangers in the WS.

sean
09-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I dont think its ths Sox's year for a ring but I do think the playoffs are going to happen. I've been bitching about pitching all year and its still bad now. I think next week's series with Tampa will solidify things. I don't think the Yanks have the ALE locked up either. I dont give much of crap about the NL so what happens there happens.

Jonathan
10-26-2011, 05:01 PM
So we have about 3 weeks left of the regular season. Any playoff predictions?

I'd say the Yankees have the AL East locked up, but I'm not so sure about the Red Sox getting the wild card. The Rays are getting close. I know Sean won't want to hear this, but I don't think this is the Red Sox's year if you only look as far as their starting pitching. Hard to say out of the AL... I give a shot to the Angels and Rangers, but have to go with the Rangers.

Hard to bet against the Phillies this year in the NL... maybe the Brewers can upset them. Sorry to the D-Backs, but nothing victorious is going to come out of the NL West.

My vote goes for the Phillies to beat the Rangers in the WS.

How are the predictions looking? My picks were pretty close for the AL, not so much for the NL. Looks like the game tonight is postponed until tomorrow. With Texas up 3-2 I think they get'er done and win one of the next 2 games. Boy did Pujols have himself a game... anytime you're in a 3 man list and one of those guys is Babe Ruth, it can't be bad. Shame he hasn't shown up the other games. MVP goes to Mike Napoli.

GS450-Junkie
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
1 more month and spring training starts. The Crew has shed some weight this year....dumped off Mr. Money-Hungry in Detroit.

DmcGman
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
http://betterthanbeckett.blogspot.com/2011/01/fan-pack-2011-cincinnati-reds.html

Jonathan
02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Yea, a steroid diet will do that ;) JUST KIDDING!! Man, I hope all this stuff works okay with Braun. The team and fan base are picking up a lot of momentum.

The Jays are really improving in the last couple years... getting younger and getting exciting. Got to get all the pieces working at the same time. And then pull a Rays season and put it to the Yankees and Red Sox.

Anyone go on baseball road trips? I'm not necessarily thinking in your DeLorean, but just a road trip to see some games? I'm thinking I'll go this summer after not going for a couple summers. Been to NY (Shea and Yankee stadiums), Philadelphia, and Washington (RFK stadium) over the last 5 or so years. I'm thinking either Chicago to see a Cubs game, White Sox game, (maybe a Blackhawks game), and a trip to DMCMW... or somewhere like Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Somewhere fairly close to Ontario to make the drive reasonable.

yellowmxwheels23
02-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Padres fan here. we drive out to AZ or LA sometimes for games. SD and AZ has awesome stadiums for games.

GS450-Junkie
02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Doesn't sound like roids...sounds more like a prescription for herpes. But...that's only a rumor at this time. Not sure why it's taking this long to get a decision. As long as we finish ahead of ST. LOUIS I will be happy. :)

Yea, a steroid diet will do that ;) JUST KIDDING!! Man, I hope all this stuff works okay with Braun. The team and fan base are picking up a lot of momentum.

The Jays are really improving in the last couple years... getting younger and getting exciting. Got to get all the pieces working at the same time. And then pull a Rays season and put it to the Yankees and Red Sox.

Anyone go on baseball road trips? I'm not necessarily thinking in your DeLorean, but just a road trip to see some games? I'm thinking I'll go this summer after not going for a couple summers. Been to NY (Shea and Yankee stadiums), Philadelphia, and Washington (RFK stadium) over the last 5 or so years. I'm thinking either Chicago to see a Cubs game, White Sox game, (maybe a Blackhawks game), and a trip to DMCMW... or somewhere like Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Somewhere fairly close to Ontario to make the drive reasonable.

Jonathan
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm, and I'm thinking Dodger Stadium is considered by all to be the best place to watch a game??!! ... I guess maybe only to Dodgers fans! I cheer hard for the Dodgers and Blue Jays, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't care for the concrete monstrosity that is Skydome. Not much you can do though when it might snow in April. That new style/age design to ball parks is where it's at in my opinion. Coors Field, Camden Yards, likely also what is in Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

Here's a few pics from some of the baseball travels...

GS450-Junkie
03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a question...maybe there are some Astros fans on here. If you are now members of the AL West, why does MLB.com still show you in the NL Central? Please get out..... now! :biggrin:

Jonathan
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a question...maybe there are some Astros fans on here. If you are now members of the AL West, why does MLB.com still show you in the NL Central? Please get out..... now! :biggrin:

I think that only takes effect in 2013, if it has indeed been agreed to on by all sides.

sean
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Just a few more minutes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjvZtOXRdA

Jonathan
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
The best there ever was.

You don't need to be a Yankees fan to appreciate this.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=28928745

If they are coming through your city before the end of the year, I recommend getting a ticket to the game. Last time to see Rivera and perhaps the last time to see Jeter too. Yankees at Blue Jays, September 17, 18. 19. Giddyup.

OverlandMan
07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Been a Texas Rangers fan since I was a kid. For most of my life, we've been a crappy team. The past few seasons (with the exception of a few bright spots in the mid-late 90s) have been a breath of fresh air. I still won't ever get over game 6 against the Cardinals in 2011. We were one strike away twice from winning our first and only World Series.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-55ifK6IixQs/UbsrIKD6RfI/AAAAAAAAB0M/Lm7uPcRaukw/s200/texas-rangers-wallpaper.jpg

This was the logo I remember from childhood. I'm a fan of most retro stuff.

I used to get behind the Astros when they were in the NL. Now that they're in our division, I won't be able to do that as frequently. I always liked this logo of theirs:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDIkW4Qfm90kY3KdyrFMaKeCJuUmw0_ Xpu7Ze4lVxvea-4q4ba3g