PDA

View Full Version : What TPS Do You Use With Megasquirt?

lazabby
10-22-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm thinking about installing a TPS on my car to run with Megasquirt (MS). What works well with MS and how/where di you install it?

AdmiralSenn
10-25-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm thinking about installing a TPS on my car to run with Megasquirt (MS). What works well with MS and how/where di you install it?

I know I and a few others used a ~1984 Corvette TPS as it's a potentiometer with a lever that can be adapted with some metal bending to be driven off the throttle spool.

My next option was a Volvo 850 TPS. I was going to have a piece of metal welded onto the throttle spool axle and shave off the top to fit the half-moon profile inside for a cleaner and more reliable installation.

dn010
10-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Just wanted to add that the Volvo 850 is also the same Bosch #0-280-122-001 TPS I am using.

DARCOM
10-26-2015, 01:22 PM
I use one from a 85 camaro tpi.

dn010
11-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Did you decide or install a TPS yet? Let us know what happens.

lazabby
11-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Did you decide or install a TPS yet? Let us know what happens.

I am planning on doing so. I was out all last week so I didn't have a chance to work on it. I still need to figure out which one to get and how to install it. Then I need to get it connected to Megasquirt. I want to do this soon. Anyone do this on the Delorean throttle spool or use a accelerator TPS?

lazabby
11-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I use one from a 85 camaro tpi.

Do you have this installed on a Delorean throttle? If so how did you do it? Pictures? I'm running a stock Delorean engine.

lazabby
11-06-2015, 10:13 AM
I know I and a few others used a ~1984 Corvette TPS as it's a potentiometer with a lever that can be adapted with some metal bending to be driven off the throttle spool.

My next option was a Volvo 850 TPS. I was going to have a piece of metal welded onto the throttle spool axle and shave off the top to fit the half-moon profile inside for a cleaner and more reliable installation.

What is the part number for this? Do you have pictures showing how it's installed?

lazabby
11-18-2015, 05:17 PM
I've looked at the Bosch 0-280-122-001 which fits the Volvo 850 and a TPS which fits a '84 Corvette. That can be found in a BWD Part no EC1003 at O'Reillys. How would either be attached in a Delorean engine?380883808938090

DARCOM
11-18-2015, 06:14 PM
I just made a simple bracket and wire tied it on there. Been just like this for 8 years now. I check it from time to time with tunerstudio to make sure its ok. No problems yet.

lazabby
11-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I just made a simple bracket and wire tied it on there. Been just like this for 8 years now. I check it from time to time with tunerstudio to make sure its ok. No problems yet.

That looks great. You're using the TPS used in the '84 Corvette, right? Can you post a picture of how the "arm" connects to the Delorean TPS? Thanks.

DARCOM
11-20-2015, 01:54 PM
I think when i ordered it from the counter i said a 85 tpi camaro. As far as connecting the arm i saw the angle i was going to install it then grinded a slot in the stock part to match up with the arm. Then just slipped it in. It did not matter if it was a little off as you can 0 it out in the megatune software. You can see the arm in the pictures.

lazabby
11-21-2015, 04:49 PM
I think when i ordered it from the counter i said a 85 tpi camaro. As far as connecting the arm i saw the angle i was going to install it then grinded a slot in the stock part to match up with the arm. Then just slipped it in. It did not matter if it was a little off as you can 0 it out in the megatune software. You can see the arm in the pictures.

I've got the TPS ordered trhough Pep Boys. I'll have to find a pigtail somewhere else. How did you attach the bracket to the throttle spool? The only part that remains stationary is the small rod in the middle of it.

lazabby
11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Picked up the TPS today. Just need to figure out how to install.

DARCOM
11-23-2015, 01:41 PM
I will try later to remove it and take a few pictures of my bracket and the slot i made.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Any updates on this? I need to know which part number TPS sensor to use with Megasquirt and info on how to line it up and mount it.

lazabby
12-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Any updates on this? I need to know which part number TPS sensor to use with Megasquirt and info on how to line it up and mount it.

I have purchased a TPS and I am in the process of creating a bracket to hold the TPS on top of the throttle spool (TS). I don't know how DARCOM fashioned his bracket as I have not been able to get in touch with him. I can see not way to attach a bracket to the top of the TS so what I am fashioning will attach to the left of the TS. I have a piece of metal I am working with which is too thin but I will use it as a template in cutting a thicker piece of metal. Once that is done, I have to get it connected to MS and get the car back over to the dyno shop.

lazabby
01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I was having an issue with the car bogging down when coming off of a stop. My car was running off of MAP and it doesn't have a TPS. It appears that when pressing the foot pedal, air was rushing in before Megasquirt could compensate by adding fuel thus causing the car to bog down and act like it was going to die. From a suggestion on the MS forum, I made changes on the Acceleration Enrichment. That seems to have eliminated that problem. The car runs a lot better now. When taking the car for a short drive after making the changes, there was no bogging down.

dn010
01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
So you did not use a TPS, just set up AE only?

lazabby
01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
So you did not use a TPS, just set up AE only?

That is correct. Megasquirt is using the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) instead of a TPS to determine how much and when to give fuel. Using the AE seems to have eliminated to bogging down problem. I'll know more once I have a chance to test it more. I probably will have to do a few more tweaks.