PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Electrical Short in Lighting Circuit

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 02:55 PM
So after i got the electrics back up in Big Blue, I noticed the fuse for the RH lights was blown...to start diagnosing this problem i pulled all the lights out and cut the side marker sockets off (need replaced anyway...) checking every wire, I found the right front side marker wiring shorted to ground. I pulled the fascia to asses all the wiring up there, doesnt seem to be in bad shape there...that wiring though, does it run between the body tub and the left front fender? I'm wondering where i get to the rest of that harness so i can get this problem fixed...

Thanks for anyone's help!

KB

DMCMW Dave
10-24-2015, 02:58 PM
So after i got the electrics back up in Big Blue, I noticed the fuse for the RH lights was blown...to start diagnosing this problem i pulled all the lights out and cut the side marker sockets off (need replaced anyway...) checking every wire, I found the right front side marker wiring shorted to ground. I pulled the fascia to asses all the wiring up there, doesnt seem to be in bad shape there...that wiring though, does it run between the body tub and the left front fender? I'm wondering where i get to the rest of that harness so i can get this problem fixed...

Thanks for anyone's help!

KB

Runs across above the bumper, wraps around the corner and goes to the fixture. Look around/under the headlights for evidence of mice chewing on the wires.

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Runs across above the bumper, wraps around the corner and goes to the fixture. Look around/under the headlights for evidence of mice chewing on the wires.

When i got the fascia off, there was evidence of mice, but i went though the wiring there and found no chewed wires across the bumper...

David T
10-24-2015, 03:47 PM
When i got the fascia off, there was evidence of mice, but i went though the wiring there and found no chewed wires across the bumper...

Not uncommon to find the front side markers so rotten you have to replace the lampholder. It could certainly be the cause of the blown fuse.

Bitsyncmaster
10-24-2015, 03:55 PM
I had the right side blow the fuse and I think what caused it was a screw on the center console had shorted the wiring running under it.

If your fuse still blows, try removing the two screws that hold the shift stick cover down.

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Not uncommon to find the front side markers so rotten you have to replace the lampholder. It could certainly be the cause of the blown fuse.

I thought the same, so I cut the lampholders off... still an issue...

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 04:05 PM
I had the right side blow the fuse and I think what caused it was a screw on the center console had shorted the wiring running under it.

If your fuse still blows, try removing the two screws that hold the shift stick cover down.

I'll have to check that out, I've currently got the console ripped out so it should be fairly simple to find...

Jonathan
10-24-2015, 05:08 PM
There is a connector in behind the front grill that is on that circuit. The trunk light circuit anyway. Some of that connects to the door lights and some of it doesn't. You can pull just the grill off to get access to it to check it.

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 05:20 PM
There is a connector in behind the front grill that is on that circuit. The trunk light circuit anyway. Some of that connects to the door lights and some of it doesn't. You can pull just the grill off to get access to it to check it.

I've got plenty of access...but the wiring isn't damaged in that area...i have to track it back inside the car...thats what im trying to find info about

Jonathan
10-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Do you have the wiring diagrams?

kbrown84
10-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Do you have the wiring diagrams?

I do, but they don't show how the wiring is physically ran in the car...just the circuitry.

Jonathan
10-25-2015, 08:34 AM
I do, but they don't show how the wiring is physically ran in the car...just the circuitry.

When you said RH lights, were you talking just the marker lights, or also the interior lights on the right side (like the door lights), trunk, engine bay, etc.? What are the taillights doing (running lights, brakes, reverse, turn signals)?