PDA

View Full Version : General Is anyone here a member of DOA?

ccurzio
10-31-2015, 07:46 AM
If so, what's the point?

I think I've asked this before, but I'm not sure I got much in the way of a solid opinion one way or another. With the current membership special of $50 rather than $75, I decided to give DOA another look. But I'm having so much trouble seeing the point of joining, I'm wondering whether doing so will be... well, DOA.

From their website, describing the benefits of membership:

The DeLorean Owners Association is on the frontlines every day working for you towards your pure enjoyment of your DeLorean DMC-12. We advocate tirelessly on your behalf towards the benefits in being a part of our special DeLorean community.

This is the first thing listed, and I have no idea what it's even supposed to mean.

The next one is "Tools and Resources" but they only list one:

DOA Member Information Center: Our exclusive on-line tools and our member helpline puts an experienced DeLorean expert as close as your phone, tablet, or computer for advice, guidance, support and inspiration. Whether you are looking for a DeLorean to purchase for the first time, or need additional information regarding your DMC-12, you can depend on our experienced team for knowledgeable and fast answers towards your car's needs.

Isn't that just DMCTalk? This community is, bar none, the best DeLorean community that currently exists. The only difference with DOA's community is apparently someone with a telephone?

A DOA membership provides you with a wealth of opportunities to save money on many valuable services and products that help protect you and make owning your vehicle affordable.

...except there are exactly zero details on this "wealth" of "valuable services and products." I don't want some vague "lol money savings am i rite" description, I want a list of partners and products that tell me exactly where and how I save money and whether or not it's relevant to me - before I join. Feels like a pile of nothing is trying to be hidden.

DeLorean World: Our award-winning, quarterly magazine is your ultimate source for accurate, compelling and authoritative information on all aspects of the DeLorean DMC-12. Whether you want to learn about the latest products for your car, hone in on your mechanical skills, or be entertained as we share some unique stories from other members, you’ll find our magazine will be hard to put down.

This seems like it would be a pretty cool benefit. What vendors advertise in this magazine? If DPI and DMCH are thoroughly represented (especially with new products) and there are some really interesting technical and historical articles, then I would definitely be interested in seeing this. If it's just a quarterly printout of Hervey's web store, count me the fuck out.

DOA Live: Our LIVE interactive video broadcast system for you to stay informed, be entertained, and up-to-date on the latest information regarding the DeLorean car, and throughout the DeLorean community. COMING SOON!

Don't know what this is. Seems like it would be a webcast of some sort, with chat capability. But for what, exactly? I guess we'll see when it comes, soon.

DOA Expos: The DOA hosts regional expos thoughout the world, including our most unique gathering of DeLorean owners and enthusiasts, EUROFEST!

Eurofest would be cool, but DCS is a lot closer to home. I'm much more interested in an event in which I can participate. But still this is kind of cool.

Got you convinced?

Nope. That's why I'm posting this thread. So DOA members, what's the deal? Do I need or should I want to join? Why?

Lou and "Boo"
10-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Maybe it is just D.O.A.

sdg3205
10-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Delorean world was a great magazine. The club was active in the 90s and probably peaked then, but then the Internet took its toll. I asked a question about membership as well in that thread they started but didn't get an answer.

DMC5180
10-31-2015, 01:38 PM
The D.O.A is Nothing more than a Quarterly Magazine. Back in the day it had Chapters, which were dissolved in the mid-90's, many of those Renamed chapters live on today as the regional clubs we are familiar with.

I have been a member (subscriber) since 1994 when they were the ONLY source of info in the pre-internet days. I did participate in a few of the annual EXPO's before DCS kind of took over that function. I have never expected anything more than what it is "a quarterly magazine". I like those nice surprises that show up in my mailbox when that tactile touchable print media ( that I WANT) arrives. As far as the cost of a membership (subscription) goes. You must factor in the micro-scale and high cost of physical publishing and limited advertisers (This is not a Road & Track). The volunteer officers do it for the good of the DMC community not Status. No one receives a nickel personally from it. I'm not even sure if club funds are used for refreshments at the occasional meetings, not that I care if they were or not.

As far as the what the website (features) has to offer, yeah it's been a (hung start) as we say in the aviation world. Not that I ever expected it to run smoothly. The intent was good, but have failed to execute. It doesn't really matter to me since I only considered it a bonus if it did want it was supposed to do. My main interest has only ever been the enjoyment of reading the magazine. For this reason I also joined the DOC UK club for its 8 page quarterly magazine. It's cheaper but it's only 8 pages of print media. I believe the DOA tries to maintain a 40 page publication hence the higher cost of publishing. Yes the advertiser ads can be repetitive for someone who has been "living the dream " for years. But they are mainly directed at NEW owner / enthusiasts just getting into the car. Although PJ GRADY used to change up his ads frequently Highlighting various offerings. Some of which, I would have never known about or purchased if it weren't for those ads many years ago for me.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you perceive as having value. If you don't feel it has value for you then don't join (subscribe). For Me it still does and thus, still subscribe. Speaking of which, I believe the next issue is due in my mailbox fairly soon. Anticipation :tongue2:

SS Spoiler
10-31-2015, 01:49 PM
I like the idea of a magazine. I have every issue.

sdg3205
10-31-2015, 01:50 PM
It's nice to know they still publish the magazine. I thought it was discontinued long ago.

DMC5180
10-31-2015, 02:49 PM
It's nice to know they still publish the magazine. I thought it was discontinued long ago.

It was on hiatus (limbo) since last published in 2011 until Volume 25 No.1 was sent out just prior to DCS 2014 featuring the Late Cliff Shumucker in Proto 1 on the cover.

Here is a quote from the Presidents message in that issue:

" Even though work continued while the magazine was on hiatus, many of you expressed not getting your money's worth if simply not receiving three or four issues of a magazine each year. To that end, we have studied how to mitigate this perception, and have concluded we will follow a rule of no membership renewal being required until the schedule of magazines has been met."

My interpretation of that, If you are a current, renewing or New member you will receive at least 3 or 4 issues before being asked to renew your membership. If it takes 2 years to get those 4 issues you will not be required to renew until the 3rd or 4th issue has been mailed out. Seems fair and reasonable to me.

chris williams
10-31-2015, 04:10 PM
For this reason I also joined the DOC UK club for its 8 page quarterly magazine. It's cheaper but it's only 8 pages of print media.
Thank you for your very kind comments, though I would just like to point out that it is 16 pages (sometimes more) in total yes 8 pages printed both sides! and like the DOA we are a subscription club run by volunteers. There are many internet forums that most of us subscribe to and they are all very good.
However lots of people do still like the aspect of a physical magazine to hold and read. I'm sure that to the DOA like ourselves the magazine and shipping is the most expensive part of the club, however there are other benefits such as discounts on insurance for example (in the UK) the discount you get for being a club member can outweigh the yearly membership cost for example, not always but it does for a lot of members.
Either way I'm sure the DOA,DOC-UK and all the forums will continue to do well all helped out by the very kind volunteers that dedicate the time to helping out the DeLorean community
Chris

PJ Grady Inc.
10-31-2015, 05:11 PM
The D.O.A is Nothing more than a Quarterly Magazine. Back in the day it had Chapters, which were dissolved in the mid-90's, many of those Renamed chapters live on today as the regional clubs we are familiar with.

I have been a member (subscriber) since 1994 when they were the ONLY source of info in the pre-internet days. I did participate in a few of the annual EXPO's before DCS kind of took over that function. I have never expected anything more than what it is "a quarterly magazine". I like those nice surprises that show up in my mailbox when that tactile touchable print media ( that I WANT) arrives. As far as the cost of a membership (subscription) goes. You must factor in the micro-scale and high cost of physical publishing and limited advertisers (This is not a Road & Track). The volunteer officers do it for the good of the DMC community not Status. No one receives a nickel personally from it. I'm not even sure if club funds are used for refreshments at the occasional meetings, not that I care if they were or not.

As far as the what the website (features) has to offer, yeah it's been a (hung start) as we say in the aviation world. Not that I ever expected it to run smoothly. The intent was good, but have failed to execute. It doesn't really matter to me since I only considered it a bonus if it did want it was supposed to do. My main interest has only ever been the enjoyment of reading the magazine. For this reason I also joined the DOC UK club for its 8 page quarterly magazine. It's cheaper but it's only 8 pages of print media. I believe the DOA tries to maintain a 40 page publication hence the higher cost of publishing. Yes the advertiser ads can be repetitive for someone who has been "living the dream " for years. But they are mainly directed at NEW owner / enthusiasts just getting into the car. Although PJ GRADY used to change up his ads frequently Highlighting various offerings. Some of which, I would have never known about or purchased if it weren't for those ads many years ago for me.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you perceive as having value. If you don't feel it has value for you then don't join (subscribe). For Me it still does and thus, still subscribe. Speaking of which, I believe the next issue is due in my mailbox fairly soon. Anticipation :tongue2:

I already got my issue a week ago or more and I thought it was a pretty good read. I'm usually the last person in the continental U.S. to get a copy, being on a little "Long Island" on the right coast, so I don't know how my copy leapfrogged you back in the mid-west? I contributed an article on rebuilding steering rack and pinions that actually consumed a large chunk of time in my "off" hours if there is such a thing. I'd like to help the magazine with well researched and detailed tech articles if it will help circulation assuming that's what people want. Please let me know if it makes any difference as writing and photographing for tech articles is a big time suck that I can only hope is worth the effort. A good quality magazine is still a major draw for some people, especially the pre-millennial generations, and it would be nice if everyone who isn't interested could just take a pass instead of potshots.

After all there is no Ed Bernstein to kick around anymore. He's probably down in Aruba or Bora Bora blowing the wad of money that he got for his large collection of scrape/core parts. I heard some new owner bought the whole shebang with the intention of starting a new Delorean business. Good luck with that!!!!

Anyway the new editors are good people and are trying hard to put something decent together for the enthusiast so why don't we all give them a break and ask for a sample issue or two? I keep some in my office as handouts. The only thing I didn't really like about the new issue is that there was a big snafu when it came to the torque spec for a trailing arm inspection article. It listed the pivot bolt torque spec as 75 Ft lbs when I know from controlled testing the bushing sleeve will start collapsing at 70#. I have my own procedure for trailing arm retention which I've laid out here before so I won't repeat. Let's just say the factory torque spec was 55# and I advise no more than 60# be used for retention.

I guess my point is that with enough work and expertise this magazine could be everything we want it to be and more but "Rome wasn't built in a day" and they are in rebuilding mode. With cooperation from more people on this list and others it could be a strong organization again. When no one works together very little gets done so why not give it a try before we say nay?
Rob

DMC5180
10-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Thank you for your very kind comments, though I would just like to point out that it is 16 pages (sometimes more) in total yes 8 pages printed both sides! Chris

OOP's, Thanks for clarifying, Chris

I already got my issue a week ago or more and I thought it was a pretty good read. I'm usually the last person in the continental U.S. to get a copy, being on a little "Long Island" on the right coast, so I don't know how my copy leapfrogged you back in the mid-west? Rob

Rob,

Perhaps you got a little early shipment. Thank You for being a technical contributor and supporting the Magazine all these years.

Nothing in the mailbox yet and My membership was paid up in February. I hope it (membership) or the magazine didn't get lost.

I just want to be sure I'm up to date with the back issues and have not missed any.

What is the Latest Issue Volume xx and No. x ?

PJ Grady Inc.
10-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Dennis,
Vol. 26, No. 2. They must have felt bad and sent them airmail since I usually get them a month after the Euro guys get their's.
Rob

P.S. I have extras of the last three issues if you missed any.

DMC5180
10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Dennis,
Vol. 26, No. 2. They must have felt bad and sent them airmail since I usually get them a month after the Euro guys get their's.
Rob

I have Vol 25 No. 1 and 2 I must have misplaced Vol 26 No 1. What was on the cover or feature article? I'm going to have to dig through my office clutter. I probably inadvertently stuck it in a drawer with other stuff and didn't realize it.

MML
10-31-2015, 07:54 PM
I signed up back in July and paid my fee, but haven't received my membership pack or any magazines yet. I haven't had a reply to my queries either... I'm in the dark as to what's going on.

DMC5180
10-31-2015, 08:21 PM
I signed up back in July and paid my fee, but haven't received my membership pack or any magazines yet. I haven't had a reply to my queries either... I'm in the dark as to what's going on.

I just sent an inquiry email to Gordon. The membership director/ treasurer for an update on my status.

MML
10-31-2015, 08:38 PM
I just sent an inquiry email to Gordon. The membership director/ treasurer for an update on my status.

Thanks Dennis! I emailed him ten days ago but didn't hear back, hopefully you'll have more luck.

andy blackmon
10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Yes, someone here belongs to the DOA I do. I have belonged to the DOA off and on for years. Why? Why not I like the mag , how ever this is a high price to pay for two or three books a year how ever I own a Delorean and have wasted money before. I really like the magazine. Andy B

FABombjoy
11-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I'd give it a go if they included access to PDFs of magazine back issues.

PJ Grady Inc.
11-01-2015, 10:31 AM
I have Vol 25 No. 1 and 2 I must have misplaced Vol 26 No 1. What was on the cover or feature article? I'm going to have to dig through my office clutter. I probably inadvertently stuck it in a drawer with other stuff and didn't realize it.

The cover, and feature article, was a photo of C.R. Brown.
Rob

hmcelraft
11-01-2015, 10:36 AM
I belonged to DOA from virtually the very beginning until John Truscott died. The DOA put on a lot of great events and Chapter 9 in Houston was a great Chapter. I was Chapter 9 president for several years. It was a big chapter with over 75 members at one time. DOA seemed to be torn apart from within - mostly the members in California were unhappy with Bernstein, et al, and destroyed the chapter concept with tax complaints and stuff. After John died things just slowly seemed to fade due to lack of interest it seemed to me. The DeLorean Car Show filled a big part the national need. Other things seem to have taken DOA's place.

David T
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Back in the day that was all there was. It was started as an organ of Ed Bernstein to promote Delorean One. It served a useful purpose but that was at a time when there were NO dealers, no support, no clubs, no parts. What started as a California club grew into a national organization. Once it started facing competition from other dealers and local clubs wanting independence, it collapsed. All it had going for it was the flashy, well done magazine which had less and less good information and morphed into what I called a travelogue of the California club's activities. It still has it's niche for those on the west coast and anyone who likes a print magazine but it is no longer relevant. The back issues of it's magazine are less and less relevant but that and the dues keeps them limping along. If you are anywhere near where you can join in their activities I would recommend you join. If you are not, then find a local group or form your own. If you can't find anyone nearby at least you have this forum.

PJ Grady Inc.
11-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Back in the day that was all there was. It was started as an organ of Ed Bernstein to promote Delorean One. It served a useful purpose but that was at a time when there were NO dealers, no support, no clubs, no parts. What started as a California club grew into a national organization. Once it started facing competition from other dealers and local clubs wanting independence, it collapsed. All it had going for it was the flashy, well done magazine which had less and less good information and morphed into what I called a travelogue of the California club's activities. It still has it's niche for those on the west coast and anyone who likes a print magazine but it is no longer relevant. The back issues of it's magazine are less and less relevant but that and the dues keeps them limping along. If you are anywhere near where you can join in their activities I would recommend you join. If you are not, then find a local group or form your own. If you can't find anyone nearby at least you have this forum.

I guess you forgot that we've always been an original DMC franchise, always had access to parts, and remain a dealer to this day. We just aren't a DMCH franchise. We however are a DMC dealer...in fact the only original one left. Back then it was much more difficult and expensive to promote a small business at the national level. That is why Ed Bernstein started the DOA. It was a master stroke of self promotion but by default also promoted Deloreans and access to information and other owners.

That is also why DMCH comes out with some bold proclamation every three years or so to grab free media publicity worth tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. Remember the "plan" to buy the PT Cruiser assembly plant, and then much later the Solstice plant, with the intention to build "new Deloreans" alongside more of those cars? How about the more recent "Electric Delorean" production run of "one hundred" IIRC "new builds"? They had another company build just one example and then paraded it around for a few years at the N.Y. Auto Show and other large venues as a new build before unloading it to Google for a lawn ornament or show stopper of some sort. I'm not saying you couldn't build 100 of them if you really wanted to. I don't think it was either financially viable nor their original intention. Stephen learned his self promotion practices from from Ed Bernstein....the best in the Delorean promo business!

If I had half of their self promotional abilities I think I'd be a rich man by now but I sleep better this way. I've always spent more time providing quality service and parts than trying to market them. That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services. Even you Dave....even you!!!!
Rob Grady

Domi
11-01-2015, 03:55 PM
If I had half of their self promotional abilities I think I'd be a rich man by now but I sleep better this way. I've always spent more time providing quality service and parts than trying to market them. That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services. Even you Dave....even you!!!!
Rob Grady

If you could find someone to update your website with all the product available, it will be great!

kenny
11-01-2015, 04:01 PM
That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services.

I am very much looking forward to your website update Rob. I have heard you sell quality parts.
Your best route to us European and other non local owners is marketing through your website as we are generally not going to phone and ask what products you sell

PJ Grady Inc.
11-01-2015, 04:03 PM
I am very much looking forward to your website update Rob. I have heard you sell quality parts.
Your best route to us European and other non local owners is marketing through your website as we are generally not going to phone and ask what products you sell
I understand Kenny.

David T
11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I guess you forgot that we've always been an original DMC franchise, always had access to parts, and remain a dealer to this day. We just aren't a DMCH franchise. We however are a DMC dealer...in fact the only original one left. Back then it was much more difficult and expensive to promote a small business at the national level. That is why Ed Bernstein started the DOA. It was a master stroke of self promotion but by default also promoted Deloreans and access to information and other owners.

That is also why DMCH comes out with some bold proclamation every three years or so to grab free media publicity worth tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. Remember the "plan" to buy the PT Cruiser assembly plant, and then much later the Solstice plant, with the intention to build "new Deloreans" alongside more of those cars? How about the more recent "Electric Delorean" production run of "one hundred" IIRC "new builds"? They had another company build just one example and then paraded it around for a few years at the N.Y. Auto Show and other large venues as a new build before unloading it to Google for a lawn ornament or show stopper of some sort. I'm not saying you couldn't build 100 of them if you really wanted to. I don't think it was either financially viable nor their original intention. Stephen learned his self promotion practices from from Ed Bernstein....the best in the Delorean promo business!

Rob Grady

I didn't forget about you, Rob, but as far as most of the world was concerned back then, you were not a viable alternative especially to those on the "other" coast. D1 saw the opportunity and took the initiative and eclipsed you. In fact, you couldn't advertise in his rag, he considered you competition so he wouldn't run your ad for years. Since this was way before the internet and you couldn't afford to advertise, only those on the East coast knew about you. Now D1 is gone and you are still here so that says volumes about your commitment and staying power especially considering you are not part of the DMCH. franchise. Independent dealers like you keep DMCH honest and hold them to a high bar of price and service. Advertising is a good way to bring in a lot of customers quickly but "word-of-mouth" among satisfied owners, although it can take many years to acquire, is the BEST form of advertising and no one else has a better reputation or more experience, than you. The only complaint anyone can have about you now is that you need to move into the 21st century and get a decent, up to date, website. The newest wave of owners have a different way of doing business and they expect to do it over the Internet.

louielouie2000
11-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Anyone here know when the DOA's online store is actually going live again? It was supposed to be yesterday according to their website, but obviously that has come & gone.

I'm just curious because I've been trying unsuccessfully to track down a copy of the US Open poster the DOA used to sell. I don't know why I didn't buy one a decade ago.

ILM1010
11-02-2015, 12:44 PM
The DOA site is a joke. The site has worked 1% of the time since 2000. The store is never working. Its all volunteer work. the magazine is way overpriced and is very sadly poorly run.

If you want a poster, I would call someone if there is a contact number or email them

DMC5180
11-07-2015, 12:06 AM

I just just got a reply back from Gordon.

He confirmed my membership and is sending me the 2 replacement issues I'm missing.

Also the online store opening is being pushed back to November 16. Hopefully it won't be another false start.