PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Stage II 1981 5 Speed, reliable driver, preferably grey interior

StainlessNJ
11-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Stage II 1981 5 Speed, reliable driver, preferably grey interior

Nicholas R
11-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Price range? Location?

Also welcome to the forum!

StainlessNJ
11-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Anywhere USA, no particular budget, and no rush.

Thanks Nicholas!

Price range? Location?

Also welcome to the forum!

Mark D
11-05-2015, 08:25 AM
First off, welcome to the forum!

Depending on your budget you may want to try going directly to DMCH if you're specifically wanting a Stage II car. They seem to be more plentiful at the DMC dealers since they are the ones that do the upgrade in the first place. Stage II cars seem to be a little tougher to find in the general used marketplace. DMCH and related affiliates have a handful of cars for sale that could be upgraded to Stage II. For example VINs 04819 and 06131 are both 81 grey interior cars with manual trans that you could negotiate a Stage II upgrade into the purchase price.

http://www.delorean.com/inventory-used.htm

It sounds like you've narrowed down your options a little by going with a 1981 model year. I'm assuming that you desire the grooved hood and some of the other earlier features? There are other mid year production changes that happened that you may or may not be aware of... This thread is a work in process but as far as I know is pretty comprehensive with all the running changes.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1823-The-Illustrated-Guide-To-Running-Production-Changes

Also, if you are looking for an improvement in performance vs stock there are other avenues besides Stage II you may want to consider. DeLorean Performance Industries (DPI) has their own engine upgrades that put you at or above Stage II performance, again, depending on your budget.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/spec-engines/

StainlessNJ
11-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks Mark.

I'm a former owner, with the itch to get another car. I can't see spending 50-60K (or even 35 - 40k) at a vendor. I've heard some of the nice vendor cars that aren't turbo charged are going for around 50k. My former car was a very nice car with an all original interior that looked like it just rolled out of the factory. It's hard to accept some of the new pricing I'm seeing. If I were to pay top dollar at a vendor for a nice DMC, I know I'm not going to be able to get my money back (or even close) if I were to sell later. Anyone else feel the vendor cars are over priced?

Gregadeth
11-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks Mark.

I'm a former owner, with the itch to get another car. I can't see spending 50-60K (or even 35 - 40k) at a vendor. I've heard some of the nice vendor cars that aren't turbo charged are going for around 50k. My former car was a very nice car with an all original interior that looked like it just rolled out of the factory. It's hard to accept some of the new pricing I'm seeing. If I were to pay top dollar at a vendor for a nice DMC, I know I'm not going to be able to get my money back (or even close) if I were to sell later. Anyone else feel the vendor cars are over priced?

Yes, I think most of us would agree that the vendors' cars are overpriced. Better to look at craigslist / ebay / autotrader / hemmings / various delorean sites to find a good deal. It's true, most cars being sold by private parties won't be Stage II. But you can buy a great car, put in the Stage II, and it would still cost you far less than what the vendors are selling their cars for.

11-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Anyone else feel the vendor cars are over priced?

As an owner, I'm glad they are setting them at a premium, it helps all resale values.

sdg3205
11-10-2015, 10:51 PM
I believe they come with a 6 month warranty. Exactly what is covered I don't recall, but a warranty on a 35 year old car? That's worth something.

Typically most stuff breaks (or problems become apparent) on a "new to you" car within the first few weeks of ownership.

Michael
11-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Thanks Mark.

I don't know how long ago your last DeLorean was sold, but prices do change in the collector car market. I can remember back in the early 2000's it was not uncommon to see decent drivers priced in the mid teens. I have what you are looking for and I know I wouldn't part with mine for 35k, not even a pause to think about it. If someone offered me 35k they would get a "NO" and "Leave me alone".

A Stage II mod will set you back around 7k, and most of the people who can/will spend 7k on a 40-50hp upgrade tend to have pretty nice cars to begin with. What you are wanting is a 45-50k car for under 35k. Can't blame you for that, or even asking, just don't expect those owners to come running and rip your arm off either.

As far as vendor cars go, are they overpriced? Lets see. They have been gone through top to bottom, deemed as roadworthy as one can make both cosmetically and mechanically. That doesn't mean it will break before you leave the parking lot, but every effort has been made for that not to happen by people who work on these cars for a living and trust me, they don't want any problems either. Not only that but a 6 month (and I believe 6k mile) warranty on a 35 year old DeLorean is a pretty nice incentive for someone who is in the market for a DeLorean and values reliability and the peace of mind of a warranty. For someone who is mechanically inclined, maybe he could save a few bucks buying from a private party, but maybe the hedge fund manager who made 10k by lunchtime doesn't mind throwing down a premium on a car that has no issues or hidden secrets. How many horror stories have we read about new Delorean owners?

Some people don't have time to research all the pitfalls of DeLorean purchases, they are too busy making money and for them or anyone else who wants a top notch DeLorean without the hassle of inspections, hidden issues, etc., there are the DMC franchises.

StainlessNJ
11-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Michael,

I saw a stage 2 with 50K miles or so recently sell on here for 35K, so I was under the impression that's what they were going for used, as I researched further, I'm finding that's maybe not always the case. I'd probably settle for a nice stock car, and pay for the upgrades as I go. I had to sell my DeLorean sometime around 2009 (yes close to the economic downturn). It had 4000 original miles, Eibach, new engine hoses, belts, fuel pump, sender, new tires, floormats... It was a nice running car, perfect interior, and I got 24K (maybe a little less, I'll have to find the paperwork). It's a long story, but I was pretty much forced into it. I think I had about 35K into the car. It's just a shame I had to sell, because now I'm clearly going to pay a lot more for the same thing. :(

I don't know how long ago your last DeLorean was sold, but prices do change in the collector car market. I can remember back in the early 2000's it was not uncommon to see decent drivers priced in the mid teens. I have what you are looking for and I know I wouldn't part with mine for 35k, not even a pause to think about it. If someone offered me 35k they would get a "NO" and "Leave me alone".

A Stage II mod will set you back around 7k, and most of the people who can/will spend 7k on a 40-50hp upgrade tend to have pretty nice cars to begin with. What you are wanting is a 45-50k car for under 35k. Can't blame you for that, or even asking, just don't expect those owners to come running and rip your arm off either.

As far as vendor cars go, are they overpriced? Lets see. They have been gone through top to bottom, deemed as roadworthy as one can make both cosmetically and mechanically. That doesn't mean it will break before you leave the parking lot, but every effort has been made for that not to happen by people who work on these cars for a living and trust me, they don't want any problems either. Not only that but a 6 month (and I believe 6k mile) warranty on a 35 year old DeLorean is a pretty nice incentive for someone who is in the market for a DeLorean and values reliability and the peace of mind of a warranty. For someone who is mechanically inclined, maybe he could save a few bucks buying from a private party, but maybe the hedge fund manager who made 10k by lunchtime doesn't mind throwing down a premium on a car that has no issues or hidden secrets. How many horror stories have we read about new Delorean owners?

Some people don't have time to research all the pitfalls of DeLorean purchases, they are too busy making money and for them or anyone else who wants a top notch DeLorean without the hassle of inspections, hidden issues, etc., there are the DMC franchises.

Michael
11-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Actually I was incorrect, the cars the DMC vendors sell under warranty are for 12 months, 12k miles, not 6m, 6k as I stated earlier. That's a pretty good warranty albeit not bumper to bumper, but all the major systems are covered. If a piece of rub strip falls off after 8 months, it's on you.

11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
There's a turbo newly listed on ebay. Dealer related site has it listed for close to 50k. Right now it's half that but the reserve isn't met. FWIW.

StainlessNJ
11-12-2015, 01:28 AM
There's a turbo newly listed on ebay. Dealer related site has it listed for close to 50k. Right now it's half that but the reserve isn't met. FWIW.

looks way too beat ...