PDA

View Full Version : Brake What are the best Brake line hoses available etc ?

BadCompany
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
What are the best Brake lines hoses available on the market and whats the best place to get them ?
Do i go with the SS braided lines or the rubber lines ?
Thanks in advance.....

vps3922
11-10-2015, 07:21 PM
I got stainless steel braided break lines from DMC NW and they are great. You can even get different hose colors. I just went for black (it is a rubber hose over the SS lines).
Toby at DMC NW always looks for good quality of lines. He had to change vendors recently but he said that he is very happy about the current one.

BadCompany
11-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Are the ss and rubber hoses from Delorean Auto Parts Inc. good quality ? I live down here in Texas....

Bitsyncmaster
11-10-2015, 07:42 PM
I got the Special T hoses 8 years ago and they were top quality then. Even had DOT approved marked on them.

Delorean Industries
11-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Here are our DOT certified lines:

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/9-flexible-brake-line-kit-stainless/

David T
11-10-2015, 08:36 PM

I don't think there is any big difference which vendor you buy the hoses from. They will all be of good quality. What it will come down to is price, availability, and customer service. Order form your favorite vendor. As long as you are ordering check if you need anything else like filters, bulbs, struts, etc. If you like a firm pedal go for the braided S/S.

Bitsyncmaster
11-11-2015, 03:02 AM

I seem to remember paying more than that kit eight years ago from John. Back then I think he was the only vendor selling the SS kit. I never got around to installing the rear lines. I'll have to add that to my to do list. I think my rubber lines were new from the PO anyway.

DMC-81
11-11-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't think there is any big difference which vendor you buy the hoses from. They will all be of good quality. What it will come down to is price, availability, and customer service.

I tend to agree. Also check whether the kit comes with fasteners, or whether you'll have to get them separately.

One piece of feedback for the vendors. It would be great if the hex fitting on the SS hoses was the same size as the OEM versions that fit snugly in the frame holders. I had 2 SS sets from different vendors, and for both sets, to tighten the hose on the frame, I had to jam a slot screwdriver between the hex fitting and the frame holder to tighten the nut. Not very good when you're trying not to damage the epoxy coating. (I wrapped the screwdriver end in tape to mitigate this). This maneuver is also difficult on the rear hoses.

Maybe somebody else has a better way to to this on the SS hoses.

Other than that, the SS hoses look great when installed.

dn010
11-11-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry, but I would have preferred a smaller hex:

I got mine from Special T also many, many years ago when they were first available and had no trouble with them. In the end, while the stainless braid part looked OK under the now yellowed plastic line, the fittings became fused to the frame from driving on the New York roads in winter. I had to either cut or leave them in the old frame in order to remove components, so they ended up trashed. I wish I had covered them in some anti seize or something now but they're still difficult to remove - even the original ones on the new frame I had to press or hammer them out where I could. I'm now running the original rubber lines until I feel like changing over again - after a frame swap, engine conversion, suspension overhaul, interior overhaul and windshield install- it's just not that high on my to-do list at the moment :D.

bfloyd
11-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Like Dave, I ordered mine from John @ SpecialTAuto earlier this past spring. I went with the braided lines as well. Also like Dave, I replaced the front flexible lines, but never did the rear.

In the process of installing the front lines, I snapped one of the threaded fitting off, and John replaced it at no charge.

Chris4099
11-11-2015, 01:21 PM
I too got John's set 8-9 years ago. I have no idea how they would be to remove as I haven't touched them since installation. Replacing the rears was the worst when it comes to the connection that goes through the frame. It's like the factory installed them before the epoxy fully cured and then crimped the frame around it for good measure! To get mine out, I had to hammer them out which is tricky with the clearance available. In the end, I put the nut back on but only on the first few threads to give me a nice large flat surface. I then took the open end of a large wrench and put it against the surface while I hammer the other end of the wrench. I've done this on 3 cars so far. 2 of them (including mine) took a good 10-15 minutes of hammering before they came all the way out. The 3rd just popped out after a few hammer blows. You do mangle the old line, so you are committed to this after the first blow.

I agree with others that any vendor should probably be fine these days, so just go with your favorite one. Just don't get the NOS ones! Why anybody would want to buy a 33 year old rubber brake hose is beyond me!

DMC-81
11-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I would have preferred a smaller hex:

I got mine from Special T also many, many years ago when they were first available and had no trouble with them. In the end, while the stainless braid part looked OK under the now yellowed plastic line, the fittings became fused to the frame from driving on the New York roads in winter. I had to either cut or leave them in the old frame in order to remove components, so they ended up trashed. I wish I had covered them in some anti seize or something now but they're still difficult to remove - even the original ones on the new frame I had to press or hammer them out where I could. I'm now running the original rubber lines until I feel like changing over again - after a frame swap, engine conversion, suspension overhaul, interior overhaul and windshield install- it's just not that high on my to-do list at the moment :D.

Hi Dan,

That's a good point. I heard that corrosion can mess that area up. Although the hex fitting and the hose crimp were plated on my SS hoses, I put 2 coats of clear acrylic on just these 2 areas to help ward off rust.

Shuttleman
11-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I tend to agree. Also check whether the kit comes with fasteners, or whether you'll have to get them separately.

One piece of feedback for the vendors. It would be great if the hex fitting on the SS hoses was the same size as the OEM versions that fit snugly in the frame holders. I had 2 SS sets from different vendors, and for both sets, to tighten the hose on the frame, I had to jam a slot screwdriver between the hex fitting and the frame holder to tighten the nut. Not very good when you're trying not to damage the epoxy coating. (I wrapped the screwdriver end in tape to mitigate this). This maneuver is also difficult on the rear hoses.

Maybe somebody else has a better way to to this on the SS hoses.

Other than that, the SS hoses look great when installed.

+1 on this. The end fittings are also bigger than OEM. It is still the same angle for the flare but some aftermarket hard line won't overlap and will crush at the tip.

BadCompany
11-12-2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys

John U
11-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Best way to remove the lines is with a ball joint remover. Absolutely a piece of cake with no hammering or damage. 37929