PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Dead engine but good cosmetic condition

Scootdive
11-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Hello all,
I am looking to start a unique project car. I plan on converting a DMC to an EV over the next few years. I will be replacing the frame in its entirety so that does not need to be in good condition. Of course, since the engine is being discarded, it need not be working either.

I am, however, looking for a car that is in good cosmetic and the body needs to be in good mechanical condition. It does not have to be emaculte because I do plan to do a professional restoration as long as the condition is not so bad that it is prohibitively expensive after the electronics are in place. Please, NO painted cars. Thanks and I hope to hear from you.

P.s. It must be a 5 speed manual and the transmission must be in good condition or the price must be right for me to replace it myself.

Dangermouse
11-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Hello all,
I am looking to start a unique project car. I plan on converting a DMC to an EV over the next few years. I will be replacing the frame in its entirety so that does not need to be in good condition. Of course, since the engine is being discarded, it need not be working either.

I am, however, looking for a car that is in good cosmetic and the chassis needs to be in good mechanical condition. It does not have to be emaculte because I do plan to do a professional restoration as long as the condition is not so bad that it is prohibitively expensive after the electronics are in place. Please, NO painted cars. Thanks and I hope to hear from you.

P.s. It must be a 5 speed manual and the transmission must be in good condition or the price must be right for me to replace it myself.

EDIT - nevermind - OP corrected post to eliminate confusion :)

By "body" do you mean the fiberglass tub, or the SS panels, or both?

You may want to add your location as well.

Scootdive
11-16-2015, 10:41 AM
EDIT - nevermind - OP corrected post to eliminate confusion :)

By "body" do you mean the fiberglass tub, or the SS panels, or both?

You may want to add your location as well.

Thank you for the responce. To clarify your question, I will remove the engine then will be removing the fiberglass body, SS panels and interior all as one unit on a lift. Leaving only the y-framed chassis behind which I will replace with a stainless steel one. I will probably sell any working parts that do not need to be retained. This should be an interesting project. It will either be a wouderful success or a money pit of a disaster. I'm hoping for the former.

Delorean Industries
11-16-2015, 12:43 PM
When we meet to discuss we can also give you rolling chassis options with a stainless frame and with or without anything you do or do not want to reflect the project goal and price point positively.

Scootdive
11-16-2015, 01:16 PM
When we meet to discuss we can also give you rolling chassis options with a stainless frame and with or without anything you do or do not want to reflect the project goal and price point positively.

Thanks for getting back to me. I look forward to seeing what my options are

Nicholas R
11-17-2015, 12:32 AM
Best of luck, hopefully Josh can hook you up with a combination of cars the equal what you're looking for. Otherwise, what you're looking for kind of sounds like a unicorn. A car with a bad frame and bad engine, but good body and good interior seems unlikely. Cars dont usually fall apart that way. Usually the whole car ages together. For example, car with a bad frame and/or engine is going to sit and rot, thereby also rotting the interior and body. I'm not saying that they're not out there, but they're definitely not common. Still sounds like a cool project (though not a cheap one)! :thumbup:

Scootdive
11-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Best of luck, hopefully Josh can hook you up with a combination of cars the equal what you're looking for. Otherwise, what you're looking for kind of sounds like a unicorn. A car with a bad frame and bad engine, but good body and good interior seems unlikely. Cars dont usually fall apart that way. Usually the whole car ages together. For example, car with a bad frame and/or engine is going to sit and rot, thereby also rotting the interior and body. I'm not saying that they're not out there, but they're definitely not common. Still sounds like a cool project (though not a cheap one)! :thumbup:

You are definitely right, it may not be the easiest to find but one can hope. I was hoping to find a barn car that someone let rust to hell on the outside for 30 years but the inside was left protected.

flyin2
11-18-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm doing an electric DeLorean now myself. I have one that does not run my plan is to get it running and sell the engine. Would be interested in talking about how you plan to do your conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangermouse
11-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm doing an electric delorian now myself. I have one that does not run my plan is to get it running and sell the engine. Would be interested in talking about how you plan to do your conversion.

:banghead:

Ryan S.
11-18-2015, 12:15 PM
We should consider creating a sub forum for electric delorean or conversion.

Scootdive
11-18-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm doing an electric DeLorean now myself. I have one that does not run my plan is to get it running and sell the engine. Would be interested in talking about how you plan to do your conversion.

This should be an interesting project. I wouldn't even say I'm up to the pre planning stage. Unknown enough about electronics and the theory behind EV's but I've got ALOT of reading to do. A partner in crime would always be helpful.

Dangermouse
11-18-2015, 12:35 PM
We should consider creating a sub forum for electric delorean or conversion.

SubForum?

I started this thread and it got zero interest

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8667-Electric-DeLoreans

Ryan S.
11-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Cool. I didn't see that posting.
2015 might be different. You need to add Standford Marty

I would love to convert mine to EV someday, when someone comes up with a cost effective kit.

Dangermouse
11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
well, there have been a couple more since then, like Mario's on-going one, and of course MARTY. It's an interesting topic.