PDA

View Full Version : General Purchasing car out of state advice ?

StainlessNJ
11-19-2015, 02:25 AM
I realize it's not recommended to purchase a car out of state without actually seeing it. Considering accurate pictures and description have been provided, what advice could you give for a cross country purchase of a nice car? Is it worth the extra $1000 or so for an enclosed carrier? Has anyone actually experienced damage with an open carrier? Anyone here have experience with escrow accounts for payment? How does one transfer the title properly? The car I'm considering is roughly 3000 miles away. Forgive the newbie questions if this has already been covered in detail...

GRINCH
11-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Is the purchase through an individual or dealer? First off have you had the Delorean inspected? When I have purchased cars that far I always have them inspected to give me piece of mind. Pictures are one thing, but there is nothing like seeing it for yourself, or using a professional. If the purchase was only a few hundred dollars then sure roll the dice, but I'm thinking this is not the case. As for as transporting the vehicle, I would do enclosed & have the car on the top ( insert joke here ). Make sure you have a bill of sale that is signed by both party's with the vin showing on the paperwork. Once funds have cleared on the sellers end he/she will send you the title. Hopefully I haven't left anything out. By the way, where is the Delorean located? We might have a member that is close & can look at it for you.

-Brad

Jonathan
11-19-2015, 07:06 AM
I would suggest finding someone that lives nearby to the seller to go look at it for you. And that someone being from the DeLorean community. Granted many of us on here don't know each other personally either, but see if you can find someone that is a) knowledgeable on the cars and b) you or the community more or less know who that person is if it isn't someone you can already speak for.

Could be a vendor, could be another owner. I would avoid getting someone you know from outside the DeLorean community if only because they won't know what they are looking at either. I speak from experience on that one.

Otherwise, buy a plane ticket and go see it yourself. That cost will be minor compared to the costs of long term ownership with the right (or wrong) car. Once you meet the seller in person and feel good about them and the car, then the concerns with escrow accounts and transferring titles lessen also.

I shipped my car on an open carrier back when I bought it and there weren't any additional problems because of it, but I'd honestly ship it closed carrier if I did that again someday. Just peace of mind I guess.

DMCVegas
11-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Well aside from a Bill of Sale, you need to ensure that you have a valid title. Which come to think of if, paperwork should also be paramount when it comes to inspecting the vehicle in person.

As long as you have a valid title with no liens on it, and the seller has signed and dated it, you just take that to your local DMV or Courthouse (depending upon your state) and file the appropriate paperwork to go along with it. Then they'll send you a new title in the mail. The paperwork you need will not only be a new title, but also either an inspection or a declaration of inoperability.

Speaking of which, is there any reason that you cannot fly out and inspect the vehicle, let alone drive it or tow it back home?

Dangermouse
11-19-2015, 10:30 AM
I would ship it open-trailer and invest the difference in $ in a plane ticket.

Rich W
11-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Just to add a few thoughts to the comments already presented ...

Considering the time of year (if purchasing soon), you may want to seriously consider the enclosed carrier.

If the transport trip will traverse any roads were there is a good chance of road salt on them, go with the enclosed trailer.

While I have logged tens of thousands of miles trailering DeLoreans on open trailers, enclosed will keep them cleaner and safer.

I had my first and only damage to a DeLorean on a open trailer while transporting a DeLorean that I had just sold back in 2014,
while passing through the Ozarks. My dually kicked up a piece of road debris, which hit and dislodged the grille and broke a high
beam headlight, which then the grille flipped overt and hit the lower left corner of the bonnet (gas flap type too). Luckily, it then
flipped high enough to clear the windshield (original with antenna) and it cleared the rest of the car as well.

Back in 2003 or 2005, Ken Koncelik had a similar incident with his DeLorean (GIGAWAT) while transporting it to for a Concours
competition at one of the DMCH Open Houses in Texas, but Ken ended up having to swap out the broken windshield in Texas.

Good Luck with your DeLorean quest.

OverlandMan
11-19-2015, 04:31 PM
I realize it's not recommended to purchase a car out of state without actually seeing it. Considering accurate pictures and description have been provided, what advice could you give for a cross country purchase of a nice car? Is it worth the extra $1000 or so for an enclosed carrier? Has anyone actually experienced damage with an open carrier? Anyone here have experience with escrow accounts for payment? How does one transfer the title properly? The car I'm considering is roughly 3000 miles away. Forgive the newbie questions if this has already been covered in detail...

I purchased my car out of state and had a local mechanics shop do an inspection for me with photos and several phone calls. I used an escrow account, escrow.com if I recall and split the fees with the seller. I wired the entire purchase amount from my bank to the escrow company. They verified the funds and then told the seller to release the car. Once I received the car, I had 3 days I think to accept, which I obviously did. At that point, the funds were delivered to the seller in 24-48 hours. All this is based off memory so don't take it 100% as the gospel. I also shipped the car on an open transport and I didn't have any problems fortunately. If the car was concours though I probably would have opted for a closed transport.

A word of warning re the transport companies. This is a saturated industry and you'll find the market is flooded with brokers. I would recommend dealing with a company directly rather than a broker. I also wouldn't give phone and email info in an online quote form. I did this and the phone calls didn't stop for 2-3 months!

If I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't change anything other than maybe find a local D-owner where the car was for sale... much like others have mentioned/offered. I was paranoid at the time in seeking out other D-owners/experts assistance, thinking they may try to buy it out from under me but I looking back I don't think that would have been an issue.

I would agree with most to do an onsite inspection in-person if it all possible. Most of the owners and vendors will echo this as well. If the car is around Dallas-Ft Worth, PM me and I'll be glad to assist.

DMCMW Dave
11-19-2015, 04:51 PM
If I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't change anything other than maybe find a local D-owner where the car was for sale... much like others have mentioned/offered. I was paranoid at the time in seeking out other D-owners/experts assistance, thinking they may try to buy it out from under me but I looking back I don't think that would have been an issue.

I would agree with most to do an onsite inspection in-person if it all possible. Most of the owners and vendors will echo this as well. .....

I've had customers pay us to travel and look at cars. Not particularly cheap, but cheaper than a bad car, and if you don't know anything about DeLorean not all that much more expensive than buying yourself a ticket. Obviously not practical on fixer-uppers, but if you are looking at a "premium" car it's good to have experienced eyes check it out if you can't find a trusted local owner.

PJ Grady Inc.
11-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Can I assume you are in N.J.? If so I can probably advise you of cars available in your area or you could visit our shop and see various cars for sale and get a much better picture of what you can and should get for your money. We are less than 1 & 1/2 hours to the northern New Jersey border so it may be worth a trip to learn more.
Rob Grady
P.J Grady Inc.

StainlessNJ
11-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Rob, I sent you a PM. Thanks everyone for your advice. I think it makes sense to fly to see the car - If I decide to go through with what's involved in getting that car here.

Thanks

Can I assume you are in N.J.? If so I can probably advise you of cars available in your area or you could visit our shop and see various cars for sale and get a much better picture of what you can and should get for your money. We are less than 1 & 1/2 hours to the northern New Jersey border so it may be worth a trip to learn more.
Rob Grady
P.J Grady Inc.

mr_maxime
11-19-2015, 07:38 PM
A word of warning re the transport companies. This is a saturated industry and you'll find the market is flooded with brokers. I would recommend dealing with a company directly rather than a broker. I also wouldn't give phone and email info in an online quote form. I did this and the phone calls didn't stop for 2-3 months!

Completely agree with this. NEVER give your email or phone number to online quoters.

I bought mine out of state at a dealership and the car was financed. I only lived 2 hours away so I saw the car in person. The dealership arranged the transportation. It was open and the main downside was rain spots all over a newly polished car. The credit union also took care of getting the title transferred. When I moved, DMCMW suggested closed trailer since I have a painted car. A painted car had been shipped on an open trailer and had brake fluid drip on it, destroying the paint.