PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my windshield in or around Jacksonville

Florent
12-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Hi,

does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go to get my windshield replaced in or around Jacksonville?

I am not in a hurry, I am just looking at doing it before March.

Mark D
12-18-2015, 10:27 AM
I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a DMC vendor to replace the windshield in my car. The windshield is structural to the integrity of the roof so when it is removed you need to support the area below the T panel inside the car. The support needs to be in place before removing the glass, during the installation of the new glass, and afterwards for a period of time while the windshield urethane is curing.

Without supporting the roof during windshield replacement the roof will sag forward slightly and cause the doors to go out of alignment. The front of the doors will end up lower than normal and the rear of the doors will be up too high.

Checking google maps you are about 5 hours from DMCFL, but if it were me it would be well worth the trip to have someone do it who knows the proper procedure and has the jig to hold the roof in place while doing the work.

http://www.dmcflorida.com/service.htm

sdg3205
12-18-2015, 10:07 PM
+1

It's an excuse for a Dmc road trip.

Plan on staying overnight as the adhesive needs time to cure.

whocruiser
12-19-2015, 10:14 AM
+1

It's an excuse for a Dmc road trip.

Plan on staying overnight as the adhesive needs time to cure.

And for overnight visits to DMC Florida there is a nice La Quinta Inn basically adjoining their back parking lot that you can easily walk to and from, and where they have kindly pre-arranged a DMC customer discount if you need a room ;-)

Morpheus
12-20-2015, 01:29 PM
I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a DMC vendor to replace the windshield in my car. The windshield is structural to the integrity of the roof so when it is removed you need to support the area below the T panel inside the car. The support needs to be in place before removing the glass, during the installation of the new glass, and afterwards for a period of time while the windshield urethane is curing.

Without supporting the roof during windshield replacement the roof will sag forward slightly and cause the doors to go out of alignment. The front of the doors will end up lower than normal and the rear of the doors will be up too high.

Checking google maps you are about 5 hours from DMCFL, but if it were me it would be well worth the trip to have someone do it who knows the proper procedure and has the jig to hold the roof in place while doing the work.

http://www.dmcflorida.com/service.htm

+1. Supporting the roof structure is very important during windshield replacement on our cars. Definitely go with a vendor on this. Best part about it, your FL insurance should cover windshield replacements 100%!

Florent
12-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Thank you all, I was hoping to avoid a long drive but it seems like it's the way to go.

12-27-2015, 09:29 PM
+1. Supporting the roof structure is very important during windshield replacement on our cars. Definitely go with a vendor on this. Best part about it, your FL insurance should cover windshield replacements 100%!

My windshield is fine but I think I need it re-sealed or something, small droplets (rain/wash) gets in one area sometimes. I'm guessing insurance wouldn't cover that repair.. :( I'd also like the black piece repainted although maybe that is something I could just have left off and trim spray it myself.

Morpheus
12-30-2015, 04:05 PM
My windshield is fine but I think I need it re-sealed or something, small droplets (rain/wash) gets in one area sometimes. I'm guessing insurance wouldn't cover that repair.. :( I'd also like the black piece repainted although maybe that is something I could just have left off and trim spray it myself.

On my previous car, I had the black trim strips powder coated and they turned out great. I suppose you could take them off and spray them yourself too. That would be a great way to try and find where the leak is coming from--spraying some water around the seal with the trim removed.

Honestly, you may be able to seal the leak yourself as well. Just get some RTV sealant from the Auto Parts store.

12-30-2015, 08:23 PM
On my previous car, I had the black trim strips powder coated and they turned out great. I suppose you could take them off and spray them yourself too. That would be a great way to try and find where the leak is coming from--spraying some water around the seal with the trim removed.

Honestly, you may be able to seal the leak yourself as well. Just get some RTV sealant from the Auto Parts store.

Powder coating is definitely the better way to go, and do all the black pieces. I just don't like the idea of being at the mercy of the powder coat guys to get my parts back.
You're right, once the piece is off, it may not be a big thing, I may be able to DIY on the leak area. It only does it in heavy storms a certain way, so it's minor.

DMCMW Dave
12-30-2015, 09:11 PM
. I just don't like the idea of being at the mercy of the powder coat guys to get my parts back.

One note on powdercoating - if the people doing it are idiots (i.e. in a hurry) they can overheat and warp the parts. Normally this isn't a problem but I've heard of it a time or two from people having to re-buy the parts.

Lou and "Boo"
01-08-2016, 05:04 PM
How much would a windshield replacement cost if it was out of pocket?

DMCMW Dave
01-08-2016, 06:49 PM
How much would a windshield replacement cost if it was out of pocket?

Depends on local labor costs etc. Typically the price of the glass PLUS $120-150 or so, PLUS the costs of taking the 4 pieces of trim and weatherstripping off (sometimes not all that easy) and putting it back on. That is the part that sometimes involves rusty screws etc. DMCH Glass comes with new weatherstripping.

Lou and "Boo"
01-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Dave, houstons site shows the windshield at $450 without antenna and $550 with the antenna just for the part before shipping costs.

How can it be 120-150?

vwdmc16
01-08-2016, 10:19 PM
That's the labor for the actual glass removal and replacement.

DMCMW Dave
01-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Dave, houstons site shows the windshield at $450 without antenna and $550 with the antenna just for the part before shipping costs.

How can it be 120-150?

That is where the word "Plus" comes in to play. As in the price of the glass, which I didn't list as there are choices, PLUS the cost of installation.

Lou and "Boo"
01-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Oh sorry man I went back and re-read what you wrote and I now see that I misread it the first time. I saw "price of glass" and "120-150" and put those together for eke reason. I didn't see the word PLUS at all. But now I understand.
My apologies Dave.

norcimo
02-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I need mine replaced too, It structurally sound, but the view through it is distorted... makes it hard to relax while driving.

I'm in florida... Fort Lauderdale area... does anyone knows someone that can replace it? Or is my best bet taking it to the Delorean in Bonita Springs?

dn010
02-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Your best bet is to take it to DMC-FL, Mark in post #2 of this thread explains why. Good luck.

I need mine replaced too, It structurally sound, but the view through it is distorted... makes it hard to relax while driving.

I'm in florida... Fort Lauderdale area... does anyone knows someone that can replace it? Or is my best bet taking it to the Delorean in Bonita Springs?

Morpheus
02-16-2016, 09:00 AM
In South FL, you're better off taking it to Bonita.

eagle-co94
02-23-2016, 12:14 AM
I thought I had posted in this thread before but I have an NOS windshield in Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale if interested. I picked it up for one of my project cars that I ended up getting rid of. It'll be a year or two before my next D so I'd rather sell off my parts so I don't have them taking up space.