PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Inner door seal install direction

dn010
12-19-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm about to install inner door seals and realize I do not know which direction the "lip" faces or the holes face once installed. Help?

Thanks in advance!

PJ Grady Inc.
12-19-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm about to install inner door seals and realize I do not know which direction the "lip" faces or the holes face once installed. Help?

Thanks in advance!

The lip in all cases I'm aware of faces away from the door. Same for the holes but Kapac made a batch in the '80's or '90's that had the holes the wrong way but they still worked OK. If you snap a pic I could be more definitive.
Rob

dn010
12-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Hey Rob, thanks for the reply.

I'm using DPI door seals if that helps.

Thanks again

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PJ Grady Inc.
12-19-2015, 05:28 PM
I haven't seen one yet so not really. In this case you should ask him if he is available?
Rob

dn010
12-19-2015, 05:42 PM
I hate to bother you guys with these trivial questions, thought maybe someone here would know.

David T
12-19-2015, 06:25 PM
I hate to bother you guys with these trivial questions, thought maybe someone here would know.

Also the joint should wind up on the front lower with a small piece of tubing across the joint to hold it together.

Delorean Industries
12-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Lip will face outwards. When I extruded the gaskets I included a longer protrusion on the inboard side so that it covers the void created on cars with broken rear speakers panels/ better fits along leading edge by headliners.

mluder
12-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Lip will face outwards. When I extruded the gaskets I included a longer protrusion on the inboard side so that it covers the void created on cars with broken rear speakers panels/ better fits along leading edge by headliners.

Shouldn't you be watching The Force Awakens and not waistline you time here?

Cheers
Steven

dn010
12-21-2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you!

Delorean Industries
12-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Multitasking. Answered while watching The Force Awakens.

dn010
12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
A few questions.

1- Do you guys typically trim the foam headliner at the top of the fiberglass lip or should it fold over a little (while avoiding the wick effect)?

2- My last seal had a bead of RTV on the outside bottom edge of the U shaped channel to the fiberglass. I'm not sure I've seen that on other cars- is that necessary or is this another PO thing.

David T
12-22-2015, 12:53 PM
A few questions.

1- Do you guys typically trim the foam headliner at the top of the fiberglass lip or should it fold over a little (while avoiding the wick effect)?

2- My last seal had a bead of RTV on the outside bottom edge of the U shaped channel to the fiberglass. I'm not sure I've seen that on other cars- is that necessary or is this another PO thing.

The materiel should go over the top of the lip so when you push the seal on you don;t push the headliner materiel loose.
The RTV is only necessary at the joint.

PJ Grady Inc.
12-22-2015, 01:08 PM
A few questions.

1) Trim flush with the outer lip edge.
2) They were sealed like that from the factory. Although they could have been neater about it it is necessary to keep water from sitting under the steel roof and rotting it out. We're starting to see roof panels rotting from the inside out now.
Rob

bfloyd
12-22-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm a firm believer there has to be a right way and a wrong way to install the inner doors seals. It's obvious to me, I installed mine wrong. My drivers door will not shut fully since I installed mine back in September. I replaced the original because it was torn where the door curves around the windshield pillar, and now the new one is torn in the exact same spot. I tried greasing it, and all that did was mess up my shirts every time I get in the car. The dash indicator light tells me the door is open all the time, and there are times the only way I can get it to fully shut is to roll down the window and pull from there.

The car is in the garage for the winter (although it's 74 degrees here in middle Tennessee today) so I plan on taking it off and flipping it around to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll buy a new one in the spring and try again.

PJ Grady Inc.
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm a firm believer there has to be a right way and a wrong way to install the inner doors seals. It's obvious to me, I installed mine wrong. My drivers door will not shut fully since I installed mine back in September. I replaced the original because it was torn where the door curves around the windshield pillar, and now the new one is torn in the exact same spot. I tried greasing it, and all that did was mess up my shirts every time I get in the car. The dash indicator light tells me the door is open all the time, and there are times the only way I can get it to fully shut is to roll down the window and pull from there.

The car is in the garage for the winter (although it's 74 degrees here in middle Tennessee today) so I plan on taking it off and flipping it around to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll buy a new one in the spring and try again.

This is why we grind and re-contour the body edges on most cars when changing the surround seals. This greatly improves door closing and seal life when properly done. That being said it's hard to explain and even harder to do without proper tools, safety equipment, and training.
Rob

dn010
12-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Mine were ripped too from the beginning when I started ownership in 02. Mine seemed to be from the replacement DMCH headliner boards rubbing as well as an improperly adjusted (drivers) door from whoever decided to mess with the alignment during the car's life.

I've since readjusted the door and when I redid all the headliners upholstery this October I shaved the cardboard down where they were protruding and rubbing the gasket prior to installing the material. After this was all done I cut a length of "good" old inner door seal and installed it just around the top of the door area to check if it would rub. So far it is looking good but the true test will be with the new seal.

I will install the seals in a few days once I figure out what I'm doing with my "bolster" since they vinyl is cracked and they look awful.