PDA

View Full Version : General Car wont start

coreydmc
12-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi Guys

I finally decided to pull my delorean out of the garage. Its been sitting for awhile but it has fresh fuel. I know thats not the problem. Car cranks over I smell gas but will not start. I hear the accumulator humming when i switch the ign key on. I have had this car about 20 years and never had this problem. I checked all the fuses and cleaned the connectors at the bulk head. I also replaced the ign coil with a nos from dmch about 2 years ago. I believe im getting spark but not sure how strong. I know its not the inertia switch since im smelling fuel. What should I start checking to start a process and elimination?

Thanks in advance!

Corey

Jonathan
12-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Could be as simple as the battery isn't fully charged. You could take it out of the car and charge it or get it tested if it's old. Or you could jumpstart the car with another car (won't help you if the problem is something else, but will if it is the battery is just dead).

coreydmc
12-27-2015, 09:07 PM
good idea but the battery was dead. I know the delorean is finneky if if doesnt have enough cranking amps. I always keep a fully charged jump pack on hand, and I used that but wouldnt fire up. The engine was cranking over pretty fast and strong though.....

Jonathan
12-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Another easy thing to check would be the connectors on your ballast resistor and the top of the ignition coil.

It could also be flooded at this point though too.

Rich
12-27-2015, 09:24 PM
I believe im getting spark but not sure how strong. I know its not the inertia switch since im smelling fuel. What should I start checking to start a process and elimination?

Let's assume for now that you have enough fuel and air since you smell fuel.

You'll need a helper to start with. Pull the high tension cable from the coil off of the distributor. Find a way to check that the spark from the coil wire (with a temporary bolt or other metal conductor connected to the wire terminal) will jump at least 12mm (1/2 in.) to a ground while she's cranking.

That is Step 1 of "Ignition -Engine Will Not Start" in the DMC troubleshooting guide in the Tech Info Manual, page 126. Proceed accordingly.

Here's the chart. Click on the image when it opens to get the full res image:
LINK: Factory-Troubleshooting-Charts-Engine-Will-Not-Start (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3142-Factory-Troubleshooting-Charts-Engine-Will-Not-Start)

coreydmc
12-27-2015, 09:35 PM
ok so basically pull the center wire off the dist. than put a bolt inside the wire to make contact with the metal in the wire. Hold the wire so the bolt is about a inch away from a ground source, With someone cranking engine I should see about a healthy 1/2" spark? I will also cut the small wires connected to ign coil and install new terminal ends

Rich
12-27-2015, 11:37 PM
ok so basically pull the center wire off the dist. than put a bolt inside the wire to make contact with the metal in the wire. Hold the wire so the bolt is about a inch away from a ground source, With someone cranking engine I should see about a healthy 1/2" spark? I will also cut the small wires connected to ign coil and install new terminal ends

Almost correct. Just hold the end of the test "bolt" 0.5 inch (12mm) from a good ground and look for a spark. Hold the bolt without touching it...or a ground....during the spark test. Ouch.

No spark at specified distance = pass, any spark at that distance = good. What counts is the distance, not the color.

Don't mess up the inside of the coil wire with the bolt or the bent wire or whatever you shove in there for the test.

Run the test, then refer to charts for next steps depending on what you get.

coreydmc
12-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Ok just got back from the garage. I cut the ends off the coil ballast wires and crimped on new ends. I also pulled the center wire off the distributor and installed a bolt. When i have someone crank over the engine i get a spark between the bolt and engine block. If i increase distance more than 1/2" I loose spark. I also jumped the fuel relay just to rest that theory and nothing wont start. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to start but not that often. Whats next? Thanks in advance!

David T
12-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Ok just got back from the garage. I cut the ends off the coil ballast wires and crimped on new ends. I also pulled the center wire off the distributor and installed a bolt. When i have someone crank over the engine i get a spark between the bolt and engine block. If i increase distance more than 1/2" I loose spark. I also jumped the fuel relay just to rest that theory and nothing wont start. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to start but not that often. Whats next? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you may have already flooded the engine and fouled the spark plugs. I would pull them and clean and regap them and try to start the motor again.

coreydmc
12-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Will pull plugs later. Does the spark i have seem normal?

PJ Grady Inc.
12-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Will pull plugs later. Does the spark i have seem normal?

Yes and as Dave suggests you'll probably need to clean the plugs before doing more troubleshooting.
Rob

coreydmc
12-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Replaced spark plugs today and BAM! Car started right up! What would cause that? Battery on the way out with not enough cold cranking amps to start and caused flooding?

opethmike
12-31-2015, 12:44 AM
Yes. Exact same thing has happened to me before.