PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body where does this go?

jamesvnz
12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
hi i found this thing hanging on my brake line in the front left of the car does anyone know where it goes!

also happy new year to all ! :goatee:38918

Michael
12-31-2015, 07:00 PM
hi i found this thing hanging on my brake line in the front left of the car does anyone know where it goes!

also happy new year to all ! :goatee:38918

Looks like a angle drive/speedo cable stay

EDIT, my mistake, part of it anyway.

Tillsy
12-31-2015, 07:06 PM
Looks like the clip that holds the angle drive cable or something my daughter's would wear in their hair ;)

Update - Doh too slow!

Here's a piss poor crude pic :)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38919&d=1451606945

Jonathan
12-31-2015, 07:33 PM
http://store.delorean.com/p-7328-pipe-and-cable-brkt.aspx

jamesvnz
12-31-2015, 07:45 PM
http://store.delorean.com/p-7328-pipe-and-cable-brkt.aspx

thankyou! I know another owner that had this part lurking around as well

DMC-81
12-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Interesting. Is that part VIN specific? That's the first time I saw it.

sdg3205
12-31-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't think they're vin specific, just on the cusp of functional and therefore often removed :)

Jonathan
01-01-2016, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure if it was a formal production change at some point, but some cars have this bracket:

http://store.delorean.com/p-7327-pipe-and-cable-brkt.aspx

(Notice it's the same item #15 on that parts diagram)

And it was used together with this:

http://store.delorean.com/p-7329-pipe-clip.aspx

The lower speedo cable was held in place by this pipe clip.

I don't remember which one was used first. It's either that they started with the one you found the chunk of, but stopped using it because it kept breaking, or they started with the shorter one and the plastic clip, but went to the long extension style because they found it held the cable at a better angle and was less likely to cause some misalignment failure in the speedo system.

You need to be able to disconnect, and open up, the brake fluid line at that front left wheel to change these brackets. Not as simple as it sounds on some cars (with rusty fittings or fragile brake lines).

I personally think the longer extension style was a better design for longevity of the speedo system. Your mileage may vary... yuck, yuck, yuck ;)

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
I see what you did there, Jonathan ;)

Jonathan
01-01-2016, 09:14 AM
I see what you did there, Jonathan ;)

Haha, brutal, eh?! Might as well get the new year off to a punny start!

Happy New Year!!

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 09:21 AM
We certainly get a lot of mileage out of that joke!

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 09:22 AM
When it comes to humour, we really go the distance

SS Spoiler
01-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Funny, my car never had a bracket [held on with wire ties]
Still running original "angel" drive....

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Heavenly.

Lou and "Boo"
01-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Heavenly.

I see what you did there Steve!

Nice!

P.S. How can it be Delorean MOTOR Company if Delorean never built a motor?

Figured I'd leave you guessin' !

DMC-81
01-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks all for the enlightenment. My car has part 106646 but was missing the plastic pipe clip. I'll correct that.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Interesting. Is that part VIN specific? That's the first time I saw it.

I thought I saw a parts bulletin on the revised bracket but I can't seem to dig it up. IIRC the revised bracket (#110728 ) was introduced from VIN 005179 onward (See Parts Manual 511 Gr. dated 6-12-81) along with the shorter 26" long (#111412) as opposed to the earlier 36" long (#101412) lower speedo cable. The better cable retention and shorter cable ensured a straighter path to the angle drive and reduced speedo needle vibration as well as cable failure. In true British form of the day however not enough thought was given to the strength of the metal loop so this bracket became a secondary source of trouble just like the one pictured above. I've thought several times about making a stronger version but the tooling charge would be hard to recoup. It is far easier to reinforce an existing bracket by welding a small metal plate to the loop anchoring it to the bracket better.
Rob

P.S. Tillsy your car needs the front end recall (#109269) based on the fact that your ball joints haven't been drilled and cottered using castle nuts. Where did you get the yellow brake lines btw?

jamesrguk
01-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Funny, my car never had a bracket [held on with wire ties]

Mine too! the bracket is zipped tied on and my car is still (to the best of my knowledge) running the original angle drive.

Perhaps the zip ties were an official factory upgrade lol.

J

PJ Grady Inc.
01-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Mine too! the bracket is zipped tied on and my car is still (to the best of my knowledge) running the original angle drive.

Perhaps the zip ties were an official factory upgrade lol.

J
Judging from your VIN you had the loop but it broke off! A closer inspection of your bracket should reveal the welded leg extensions which held the loop to it. If you have an early bracket there will be a small welded box to hold a plastic clip to the cable which makes it hard to R&R the cable end.
Rob

David T
01-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Judging from your VIN you had the loop but it broke off! A closer inspection of your bracket should reveal the welded leg extensions which held the loop to it. If you have an early bracket there will be a small welded box to hold a plastic clip to the cable which makes it hard to R&R the cable end.
Rob

Besides the revised bracket and lower cable there is also a Service Bulletin, ST-10-10/82 adding the angle drive as an additional lubrication point at each scheduled service. Unless you are putting on a lot of miles a year (around 10,000) you should probably be doing the service annually. It also wouldn't hurt to remove the lower inner cable and lubricate it. Not having that loop bracket puts a lot of strain on the angle drive and lower cable. You should also inspect the dust cover and speedometer cable core for signs of fraying or rounding the square hole in the dust cover.

Jonathan
01-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks all for the enlightenment. My car has part 106646 but was missing the plastic pipe clip. I'll correct that.

The parts diagram shows a washer together with that pipe clip. I don't know how crucial it is, as my own car didn't have this washer, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6069-washer-m8.aspx

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

I think it was more of a tangent... like a right angle to the original topic? ......gggggrrrrrrooooaaaannn! Took me all day to come up with that one, Dave!

DMC-81
01-01-2016, 10:13 PM
The parts diagram shows a washer together with that pipe clip. I don't know how crucial it is, as my own car didn't have this washer, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6069-washer-m8.aspx

I think it was more of a tangent... like a right angle to the original topic? ......gggggrrrrrrooooaaaannn! Took me all day to come up with that one, Dave!

Thanks! Duly noted. Great info in this thread. :thumbup2:

Tillsy
01-02-2016, 06:03 AM
Tillsy your car needs the front end recall (#109269) based on the fact that your ball joints haven't been drilled and cottered using castle nuts. Where did you get the yellow brake lines btw?

Hey Rob thanks for taking the time to observe potential issues in my photograph!

I have the strengthening brackets on my front frame extension so I had figured the rest of the that recall was done too. Which nuts are meant to have cotters in them? If you're looking at the steering rods I have a replacement steering rack so those nuts are nylocs, and the others have dabs of pain on them so I figured they had been redressed in some fashion... let me know if there is an issue here, yikes!

I got my brake and fuel lines through Just Bandits.

sdg3205
01-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Took me all day to come up with that one, Dave!

Not your 'speediest' pun-post! Should we 'cap' this humour now ?!

Jonathan
01-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Not your 'speediest' pun-post! Should we 'cap' this humour now ?!

Yea, we should take a brake...

PJ Grady Inc.
01-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Hey Rob thanks for taking the time to observe potential issues in my photograph!

I have the strengthening brackets on my front frame extension so I had figured the rest of the that recall was done too. Which nuts are meant to have cotters in them? If you're looking at the steering rods I have a replacement steering rack so those nuts are nylocs, and the others have dabs of pain on them so I figured they had been redressed in some fashion... let me know if there is an issue here, yikes!

I got my brake and fuel lines through Just Bandits.

The upper and lower ball joints are drilled 1/8" and blue plated castle nuts are fitted and cotter pinned in place as part of the recall. We have the factory correct fasteners or you can match them up locally. The later recall (there were two addressing this area) used blue dabs of paint on the modified areas to signify the procedures were done by an original dealer to factory specifications. Part of the recall was measuring the stabilizer bar ends for proper thread dimensions. You should obtain the recall instructions and follow them to the letter if you want the equivalent of the factory recall specs being executed correctly.
Rob