PDA

View Full Version : Wanted WTB Ignition Coil Cover

RamblinDMC
01-01-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm looking for a good condition ignition coil cover.

Thanks!

Jonathan
01-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Houston offers one:

http://store.delorean.com/p-7126-cover-assy.aspx

(Wasn't sure if you knew that and were looking for a used one, or hadn't realized they were available new. I thought they were NLA so nice surprise seeing them on the parts store).

RamblinDMC
01-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Oh wow, I thought they were NLA.
I'm probably in the market for a used one $109 is kinda steep.

Dangermouse
01-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Guaranteed to fit as well as the original :)

sdg3205
01-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Guaranteed to fit as well as the original :)

Held in place haphazardly by adjacent hoses and wires ;)

Jonathan
01-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Held in place haphazardly by adjacent hoses and wires ;)

It is not entirely uncommon for things to be held in place on a DeLorean by way of THE FORCE.

sdg3205
01-02-2016, 10:03 AM
It is not entirely uncommon for things to be held in place on a DeLorean by way of THE FORCE.

Vulgarity and a rubber mallet?

mluder
01-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Yeah... I've never met anyone - DMC personnel included - who could explain how the bottom clip was supposed to work.

Cheers
Steve

shadowfax101
01-12-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm looking for a good condition ignition coil cover.

Thanks!

I have an extra one in storage. Let me fish it out and send you some pics to see if it is what you are looking for. It should be in what I would consider really good condition.

RamblinDMC
01-12-2016, 12:48 PM
I have an extra one in storage. Let me fish it out and send you some pics to see if it is what you are looking for. It should be in what I would consider really good condition.
Great! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

DMCMW Dave
01-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Yeah... I've never met anyone - DMC personnel included - who could explain how the bottom clip was supposed to work.

Guess you didn't ask me.

On the bottom of the cover there is a metal clip that has a raised edge riveted to the cover. On the bottom of the plate attached to the car there is a clip with a tab sticking up that is bent toward the car body. Often the tab is broken off. You are supposed to be able to push the bottom of the cover so that it aligns and catches on the clip and holds the bottom in place, then buckle the top. A huge pain that seldom works (I re-made the body clip on my own car with larger tab so that it would actually catch the cover). Later cars just gave up and used a belt/buckle arrangement.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-12-2016, 05:44 PM

Cheers
Steve

I managed to get one to latch ONCE....just to prove to myself it could be done. Couldn't move my fingers for days the carpal tunnell symptoms were so bad and that was 30 years ago IIRC!!!
Rob

mluder
01-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Guess you didn't ask me.

On the bottom of the cover there is a metal clip that has a raised edge riveted to the cover. On the bottom of the plate attached to the car there is a clip with a tab sticking up that is bent toward the car body. Often the tab is broken off. You are supposed to be able to push the bottom of the cover so that it aligns and catches on the clip and holds the bottom in place, then buckle the top. A huge pain that seldom works (I re-made the body clip on my own car with larger tab so that it would actually catch the cover). Later cars just gave up and used a belt/buckle arrangement.

You are correct, I did not ask you...

That being said - my car has both tabs but your description of the one on the car mounted plate doesn't seem like I remember it being. I'll have to take a look but I'm almost positive mine points down - not up - making engagement with the cover clip impossible. I'll look tonight.

Cheers
Steven

sdg3205
01-13-2016, 12:02 PM

DMCMW Dave
01-13-2016, 01:51 PM

I'll have to take a look but I'm almost positive mine points down - not up - making engagement with the cover clip impossible. I'll look tonight.

Cheers
Steven

That's what it looks like when the tip breaks off.

kenny
01-13-2016, 06:26 PM
There was no cover on my car when I bought it 9 years ago so I foolishly bought one. Spent too much time trying to fit it, gave up in the end and it has ended up being stored in my garage gathering dust since. Waste of money IMO

mluder
01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
That's what it looks like when the tip breaks off.

AHHHH HAAAAA! :facepalm:

Cheers
Steven

BABIS
01-14-2016, 03:43 PM
There was no cover on my car when I bought it 9 years ago so I foolishly bought one. Spent too much time trying to fit it, gave up in the end and it has ended up being stored in my garage gathering dust since. Waste of money IMO

I guess you can keep it hooked just by the upper latch, like most owners do :P

Bitsyncmaster
01-14-2016, 03:45 PM
I guess you can keep it hooked just by the upper latch, like most owners do :P

Most have a heater hose close to the bottom and that with the top latch keeps it on.

mluder
01-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Most have a heater hose close to the bottom and that with the top latch keeps it on.

They should alter the shop manual to include this as I'm sure it's how most owners have it secured.

Cheers
Steven