PDA

View Full Version : Elio vs. Delorean

powerline84
01-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I Hope this little thing makes it into production, I think it's a great idea. I am all about American jobs/manufacturing, and new companies succeeding in America. Tesla are really the only ones who were able to start their own car company and make it last in America since the big 3. Nobody thought they would succeed. John Delorean stopped main line production in less then a year, and went into receivership what a year after first production? (something like that lol please don't attack me if i am little off) This story seems to have a lot of similarity. It will be interesting to watch. Will they be the next Tesla, or the next big failure in the automotive industry? What do you guys think? I would totally buy one for my daily commute of 80 miles.

Dangermouse
01-02-2016, 10:32 PM
A link to whatever you are talking about would be nice ;)

powerline84
01-02-2016, 10:41 PM
oops, my bad
http://www.eliomotors.com/

Peripatetic
01-02-2016, 11:42 PM
I dunno. Elio has too many different things about it and that makes me think it will have a hard time going mainstream. From the shape, the gas card financing (you can pay more at the pump and the extra money goes towards the car), limited cargo, 10 second 0-60, the shape, and the perception that it isn't safe. Plus, I'm pretty sure you need a motorcycle license for this car since it has less than four wheels.

In my experience it's hard to convince people that the Smartcar still has to pass the same safety tests ad regulations as their normal sized car so I imagine the same will happen here. Sure, Tesla has a lot of new different things as well (what with the lack of a gas tank), but it still looks like a regular sedan to those who aren't car people. They even gave it a black grille looking front cap thing to blend in more. Although the common assumption is that the upcoming cheaper Model III will also look like a regular sedan and/or crossover (supposedly to be named the Model Y).

The only thing that makes me doubt my feelings that it'll go the way of the dodo--err--DeLorean is the low price of $6,800.

powerline84
01-03-2016, 04:14 AM
That's my thing, and don't thing and don't get me wrong i would like to see it succeed cause I would buy one, but will Americans really drive this? In order to build the amount of cars needed to sell for that cheap they would need a metric !@it tone of interest. Apparently they would have to sell as many ellios as Mazda sold last year to be financially viable.

88KPH
01-03-2016, 05:43 AM
In the UK, electric cars are actively encouraged.
They pay no VED (Road tax) compared to £1100 (US$1500) per year for a new RangeRover V8. (That is a tax/duty just to be allowed to use the public roads). £230 (US$350) for my old Delorean
They are exempt from London congestion charges, £400 pa (US$600), to be allowed to drive in London.
As a result, sales are increasing (over 100% increase year on year) but from a very small starting number. Only 1% of total sales iirc.
In the UK a full bike licence (over 125cc) and all car licences, qualify you to drive a 3-wheeler.
The problem with all electric cars is how the electricity is generated, most comes from fossil burning power-stations, so you are just moving the pollution from the tail-pipe to the chimney stack.

DMC-81
01-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Cool. At least they learned from the Reliant Robin to put the single wheel in the back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

88KPH
01-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Yes looks like they've copied the Morgan from the 1920's.
Crazy car, The Reliant layout was a cost saving design & obviously not meant to be driven by idiots! :lol:

Mario
01-03-2016, 04:03 PM
If you want a 10-second 0-60 and 84mpg, look no further than the Honda Insight! :) Most are less than $6,800, even. I love mine, it's a great car. A lot of people on the Insight forums are excited for the Elio to come out, too.

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/610394-870-0.jpg

Timebender
01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
In the UK, electric cars are actively encouraged.
They pay no VED (Road tax)
Compared to the great state of California, who now wants to charge a road/freeway use tax to all vehicles, electric and gas, thanks to all of the hybrids and electrics on the road. Our state used to fund (supposedly) road maintenance through a small fuel tax, but since there are so many cars not using as much or if any fuel (and California still gives tax refunds for hybrids and electrics), they've decided to ding EVERYONE who drives by charging a per mile fee to all residents - of course this doesn't apply to visitors from other states, or the thousands of cars coming up from MEXICO every day that aren't smog legal.

...and that's a whole other rant that might fall into political territory.

Exolis
01-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Looks neat and potentially promising. The biggest concern I would have is how practical it would be to own one. It would almost seem it would sell strongest with new drivers (High Schoolers and College Students). Maybe a little to fresh out of college too.

While it claims it seats two, I can't really imagine a grown person being able to fit in the back. So I can't really see a couple wanting this for a road trip or anything.

Also, looks like Takata is their supplier for Airbags... hope they consider changing suppliers soon...

Their board members looks pretty solid and seems to have good experience. Hopefully they are successfully, I don't see them being huge or anything, but probably good enough to float along and be profitable.

Looks like it'll be at the N.A. Auto Show, so hopefully I'll be able to check it out next week during industry day!

DMCVegas
01-05-2016, 03:27 PM
This thing scares me:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/elio-motors-prototype-at-new-york-auto-show-press-conference-apr-2015_100507577_m.jpg

I feel like in a normal fender bender, I could end up with a crunched sheet metal along with a damaged bumper, and *maybe* pop a tire and end up with minimal repairs. But with the Elio, I would be at a high risk of catching the wheel on something, and ripping it and the entire suspension off to disable my car.

I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of this car to say the least. Especially with that rear passenger seat for side and head trauma. But I would hope they get that worked out. Otherwise, yes, I like the looks and the design. Just looking at the evolution of the engine alone shows a great amount of promise for this company's commitment. They've gone from Carburetion, to EFI, not to mention what appears to be further development of the cylinder head,and because of that they do appear to be committed to developing the car and not just using it to promote investments.

I hope they make it. Given Carl Ichan's massive investment in Pep Boys, who just so happens to be the preferred repair center for these cars, I think that's a good sign.

Exolis
01-05-2016, 08:59 PM
This thing scares me:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/elio-motors-prototype-at-new-york-auto-show-press-conference-apr-2015_100507577_m.jpg

I feel like in a normal fender bender, I could end up with a crunched sheet metal along with a damaged bumper, and *maybe* pop a tire and end up with minimal repairs. But with the Elio, I would be at a high risk of catching the wheel on something, and ripping it and the entire suspension off to disable my car.

I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of this car to say the least. Especially with that rear passenger seat for side and head trauma. But I would hope they get that worked out. Otherwise, yes, I like the looks and the design. Just looking at the evolution of the engine alone shows a great amount of promise for this company's commitment. They've gone from Carburetion, to EFI, not to mention what appears to be further development of the cylinder head,and because of that they do appear to be committed to developing the car and not just using it to promote investments.

I hope they make it. Given Carl Ichan's massive investment in Pep Boys, who just so happens to be the preferred repair center for these cars, I think that's a good sign.

That does bring a good point. I wonder if they have to meet any safety regulations since they imply it's classified as a motorcycle but still beat around the bush to exactly what it is (pretty shaddy).

ssaleen
01-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Ugly as hell and I couldn't see something like this making it here. It looks too much like a concept that will never be in production. But good luck if it is built.

DMCVegas
01-07-2016, 09:45 AM
That does bring a good point. I wonder if they have to meet any safety regulations since they imply it's classified as a motorcycle but still beat around the bush to exactly what it is (pretty shaddy).

Thanks to Polaris and their shady dealings with their Slingshot model, that's not going to be able to apply any longer, and the Elio probably isn't going to happen now...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101719_nhtsa-to-alter-vehicle-code-to-prevent-3-wheelers-like-elio

powerline84
01-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Damn, I feel like that is going to be a big problem if they cant get passed that regulation. I fail to see how this thing crashes well lol.

DMCVegas
01-07-2016, 07:16 PM
I fail to see how this thing crashes well lol.

Well if one crashes, you will see it fail!

Polaris really are the ones that screwed it up for everyone with that damn Slingshot. That's where all this regulation came from. But if not for Polaris, it might have been Elio too. But I also understand this as well. Because with a motorcycle, you kinda know what the dangers and risks involved are. But when you're strapped into a seat with a belt or harness and you've got a steering wheel, you feel a bit safer like a car, and that's a false sense of security. So I get it.

Now that's not to say that this vehicle can't be safe. I mean, you have compact cars that do rather well in matched crash testing like the smart fortwo. Which this vehicle shape and size could "potentially" match if the proper engineering was put into it. Though like my first concern here with head protection in the Elio, even the fortwo is only "Average".

Now if the Elio has the proper engineering put into place here, there's a good chance it could make it as a passenger vehicle. But then the next real concern is going to be emissions testing. They've done some work on the head and engine management, as well as reworked the cylinder head, but it's still an old 30 year old Suzuki engine. It needs to be both clean, as well as then get fully certified by the EPA for this platform.

It might still be possible for the Elio to come to market, but damn, it now requires much more work. It's like they got over a bill hill to now find a mountain got thrown in their way.

BladeBronson
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
It reminds me of the Owosso Pulse, which was one of the futuristic cars shown in BTTF 2. I grew up near Owosso and saw these all the time. 6 year-old me wanted one so bad.

http://www.banovsky.com/archive/owosso-motor-car-company-pulse

louielouie2000
01-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Having been broadsided in a DeLorean, the thought of being broadsided in an Elio is pretty terrifying to me. However, I do wonder if this is an instance of the car's size working in it's favor. I'd have to think with the Elio being so light and only having one rear tire, that if it were broadsided by a larger vehicle, the Elio would simply be knocked out of the way vs crushing from the impact. However, that opens another can of worms... horrific whiplash. Not just that, but since the car is so narrow, the whiplash could lead to the occupants heads being bashed into the interior walls, unless this sub-$7,000 car comes with extensive side-curtain airbags. And on the domino scenarios continue.

For what it's worth, I've rooted for this company for a long time, though. The US needs more kooky, oddball vehicles- they've largely been legislated off our roads. Plus, in an era when even domestic automakers are outsourcing production, here's an upstart going against that tide. Do I think this venture will be successful? No, but I do love any time the automotive status quo is reexamined.

DMCVegas
01-08-2016, 12:27 PM
That's where airbags make a huge difference in car safety. Especially compact, and sub-compact ones. I mean, I've got a 2014 Focus, and the thing has 7 separate airbags inside. Engineering also goes a long way, too. Aside from the safety beams, the attitude has changed allot about making cars more disposable where the integrated chassis will not only absorb and transfer energy, but they're also sacrificial.

Now as much as I like the Elio design, I also can't lie that I wouldn't be buying one. Not new anyway, maybe in a few years as a toy to play with. In the used car market, there are just far too many competing vehicles.

valdez
01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Go with the Canadian T-Rex
http://campagnamotors.com/
Less dorky and more fun. Deep pockets needed thou.

If this had more style I'd be interested in it. The price is right.

Flicky
01-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I think there needs to be room for something that is between a motorcycle and a car. I have a bike and I like everything about it except for that I have to drive with people in cars. How stupid do these regulators think people are. Who will think this is as safe as a car? It likely is more safe than a traditional motorcycle. Considering the added utility of it I think there is a huge market if under 10K. The reason for legislation has nothing to do with safety. I mean, sure the do-gooders will use it as their platform, but this is all about the tax and kickback from the car manufacturers.

The one plus of 3-wheelers getting called motorcycles is they have really good brakes. What we likely will see is a forced increase into motorcyleish components such as vinal doors and a vinal top instead of anything fixed. Making them less safe and practical than if the regulation for "safety" wasn't in place. There should be a big sticker with your license plate tags that reads "driving a car can kill you and others" considering the way the government wants to treat cigarettes.

On a side note. There is also Tanom Motors that is pretty much like the T-Rex from Capagna but made in the US. ~55K also
http://www.tanommotors.com/

valdez
01-08-2016, 05:43 PM
On a side note. There is also Tanom Motors that is pretty much like the T-Rex from Capagna but made in the US. ~55K also
http://www.tanommotors.com/

Never heard of them until now. It looks like a blatant Chinese knock off, but it wasn't the Chinese. It looks like they couldn't even be bothered to change the styling much at all. Aren't knock offs supposed to be cheaper than the original?

Still should be fun but I would buy the original as these guys seem to have no creativity which makes me wonder about the entire product.

Michael
01-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Get a Polaris Slingshot. Around 20-25k and so much damn fun!!! The engine is a GM 2.4 so it's much cheaper to work on than the T-rex BMW powerplant.

DMCVegas
01-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Go with the Canadian T-Rex
http://campagnamotors.com/
Less dorky and more fun. Deep pockets needed thou.

If this had more style I'd be interested in it. The price is right.

That looks like an opened-up Tri-Magnum.

http://rqriley.com/imagespln/t-mag_bklite1.jpg

I think there needs to be room for something that is between a motorcycle and a car. I have a bike and I like everything about it except for that I have to drive with people in cars. How stupid do these regulators think people are. Who will think this is as safe as a car?

Well, most people ARE idiots. So there's that...

As for room for something in between, that's a tricky one... Texas had that problem of what to do with the Polaris Slingshot. So, they created a new category of "Autocycle" to register these vehicles. It's a motor cycle with car-like controls for steering and braking, which allows anyone with a Class C license to drive them. But it gets tricky because while Texas will register an Autocycle as a Motorcycle, they can only do that if the vehicle is recognized by the federal government as a motorcycle. NOW the DOT/NHTSA Proposed Amendment (http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201510&RIN=2127-AL15) as to the definition of a motorcycle, if passed, would void all of that out. Because if a motor cycle has a configuration to act as a passenger car, it will have to be classified as such.

But then, that begs the question, what the hell do we do with these contraptions?

http://i26.tinypic.com/2mmsb3q.jpghttps://clarkbunch.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/motorcycle-ish-6.jpg?w=640