PDA

View Full Version : General How is the rule of $25000 looking lately?

John U
01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
When I bought my Delorean in 2009, the rule of $25000 was pretty accurate in most cases (ie, didn't really matter if you bought a $10000 car or $20000 car, by the time you had a good condition driver you would be out $25000)
I haven't really been searching Delorean for sale ads for a few years now. Is the $25k rule closer to $35 now? Looks like $15000 cars are pretty rare now when I look online.

John

PJ Grady Inc.
01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
When I bought my Delorean in 2009, the rule of $25000 was pretty accurate in most cases (ie, didn't really matter if you bought a $10000 car or $20000 car, by the time you had a good condition driver you would be out $25000)
I haven't really been searching Delorean for sale ads for a few years now. Is the $25k rule closer to $35 now? Looks like $15000 cars are pretty rare now when I look online.

John

I think it's fair to call it the rule of 35K (or more) now.
Rob

Soundkillr
01-08-2016, 06:47 PM
I think it's fair to call it the rule of 35K (or more) now.
Rob
I agree with this. I've been seeing this for just over a year now. There will always be exceptions, but it seems to be the new norm.

Gregadeth
01-08-2016, 06:50 PM
I think the 25k rule is still valid. I've been looking at cars for the past 3 years, and finally bought my car this past september. What I see is a lot of sellers (private party) posting their cars at a higher price (like 35k) but most aren't really selling. You may have to go into the high 20s, but you don't need to go above 30k.

sdg3205
01-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I think the 25k rule is still valid. I've been looking at cars for the past 3 years, and finally bought my car this past september. What I see is a lot of sellers (private party) posting their cars at a higher price (like 35k) but most aren't really selling. You may have to go into the high 20s, but you don't need to go above 30k.

Depends where u are. In Canada cars consistently sell at 35k and up.

Just you folks in the states that enjoy cheaper prices.

John U
01-08-2016, 07:36 PM
35k Canadian is about two dollars US....or it soon will be anyway!

sdg3205
01-08-2016, 07:38 PM
That's why we love selling to Americans. Everyone wins.

cdrusn
01-08-2016, 07:54 PM
It's a little early to say that a excellent driver would sell for $35K but they are headed in that direction. Just because they list for sale on ebay for $25K and up it doesn't matter unless it sells and quite often the auction ends with no one meeting the reserve. What is undisputed is that there are no more $10K non running Ds for sale anymore. Even one needing a complete resto and not running will bring in close to $15K and the number of bidders is very high. Sure some guys will brag about the one they found in an old ladys driveway that her husband never got around to fixing that they "stole" for $6K but those are very rare anymore. People know they are worth something and with parts and mechanics who will work on them they can be brought back to life relatively easy . I would say you're going to see them in the $35K range in the near future. :yoda:

RamblinDMC
01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm going to be able to finish my car for around $10,000 all together.

Soundkillr
01-08-2016, 08:10 PM
It's a little early to say that a excellent driver would sell for $35K but they are headed in that direction. Just because they list for sale on ebay for $25K and up it doesn't matter unless it sells and quite often the auction ends with no one meeting the reserve. What is undisputed is that there are no more $10K non running Ds for sale anymore. Even one needing a complete resto and not running will bring in close to $15K and the number of bidders is very high. Sure some guys will brag about the one they found in an old ladys driveway that her husband never got around to fixing that they "stole" for $6K but those are very rare anymore. People know they are worth something and with parts and mechanics who will work on them they can be brought back to life relatively easy . I would say you're going to see them in the $35K range in the near future. :yoda:

I've said this before, you can not use eBay as a value indicator. It can be used to gauge overall interest in the car, but eBay is the flea market of car buying. Most people who buy a car on eBay, have a set limit they are going to spend on a car sight unseen, and it's usually well below actual market value. When I was looking for a viper for example, you could buy a 96 or 97 blue and white gts on eBay for around 32-35k. That said, almost every private seller was asking 45-55k (and getting it)
I have been following our for sale ads on this forum for a very long time, and prices are going up, and those cheaper cars (yes those cheaper in the 22-24k prices range) are usually selling pretty fast. I have seen some sell as fast as a weekend. Yes, it's true I don't know what actual price they settled on, but as a seller, there would be NO WAY I would budge on my price, with buyers lining up, and throwing cash at me, when my ad has only been up for a few days.
Cars that are very clean with very clean frames are also selling in the 35k+ range. They aren't selling as quickly, but they are selling.

Nicholas R
01-08-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm going to be able to finish my car for around $10,000 all together.

Well that's clearly a lie because everyone knows a DeLorean is never "finished". :wink:

RamblinDMC
01-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Well that's clearly a lie because everyone knows a DeLorean is never "finished". :wink:

Haha, true. :)

skill
01-09-2016, 06:50 AM
It's what it is: The $25K Delorean price tag was yesteryear. As well, both oem and reproduction Delorean autopart prices have gone up (which is understandable). I'm extremely happy to see the car value go up.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-09-2016, 04:48 PM

The rule of 25K was meant to convey what a good drivable car will cost after the buy-in along with the costs of bringing it up to roadworthy specification. While you can find cars for 25K your end cost will be far higher in most cases.
Still disagree? Ok that's fine. Rules are made to be broken but we're talking the average deal here not the rare "steal" deal.
Rob

David T
01-09-2016, 05:06 PM
The rule of 25K was meant to convey what a good drivable car will cost after the buy-in along with the costs of bringing it up to roadworthy specification. While you can find cars for 25K your end cost will be far higher in most cases.
Still disagree? Ok that's fine. Rules are made to be broken but we're talking the average deal here not the rare "steal" deal.
Rob

Between parts getting more expensive and the cars getting older and in generally worse shape your "all in" costs are rising. Of course it also depends on just how nice and reliable you want the car to be when you are done. You will always have a better car by getting the best one you can afford and fixing it up. Buying a non-runner and expecting to make a concours level car is always going to take the most time and cost the most. With all of this being said you are probably way past the rule of 25 unless you get very lucky and buy a nice car cheap. Probably close to 35 than $30K now. It is not realistic to apply this rule by buying a car for $5K and expecting to make it very nice by adding $25K. It is usually the other way around meaning buying a car for $25K and spending $5K. Another thing to consider is if you are doing the work or you send it to a shop. That can double the costs. This general rule applies only if you do most f the work.

88KPH
01-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Here in the UK I'd say the average asking price seems to be around £28k. ($40k)
IMO, I'd have to say that the majority of cars bought are by people wanting to restore or improve them so most sales are for cheaper project cars.
However, Would agree that there is no such thing as a cheap Delorean (unless you meet an unaware/elderly owner). Even if you do the vast majority yourself, a good runner, non show-car, is going to cost you £20k ($30k)

Rich_NYS
01-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Early last year I bought 4728 for [what I believed to be] a few thousand more than a 2013-2014 price. I had been looking for a running/rolling restoration 5-speed with a good frame for a price "in the teens." I was looking for about a year, the prices climbed continuously and I wasn't finding what I wanted. My thoughts were: the prices might move around a bit but not "come back down," and that the higher price I paid in 2015 would be an average price in 2016. Doing most of the work myself, I expect to have it fully restored and upgraded for <10K (not including the purchase price.)

Since I bought this car in early 2015, I haven't seen anything comparable in the mid-teens price range, so it appears to me that the rule of 25K is closer to 30K-35K.

It's also a good time to mention the debate of "should I finance a DeLorean?" In 2014, my opinion was that a person "saving for 10 years" wouldn't outpace the increase in prices, but the market value of the car would outpace the interest rate on a loan. Last year I pointed out that someone who financed in 2012-2013 (versus continuing to save) would be miles ahead in 2014-2015. That was definitely accurate, but I might have a different opinion going forward.

In market terms, I'm calling 25K the level of "support," and 30K-35K the level of "resistance."

mr_maxime
01-10-2016, 01:36 PM
I bought a painted car for $21.5k about a year ago and got DMCMW to do about 4k in work. I also had to replace the rear calipers and taillight circuit boards. It is mostly mechanically good, definitely needs suspencion work and I don't have heat. I've done some various things so in all maybe about $28k for a nice running painted car.

Depending on how paint devalues the car, that should be a better idea of actual values. I would personally say the rule of 25k is out.

01-12-2016, 11:04 PM
I've said this before, you can not use eBay as a value indicator.

I agree. A search of "completed" sold listings would have shown 2 cars that I "won" however my "winning bid" didn't mean the reserve and the sellers relisted.

I ended up buying privately off of ebay, for 7k more than the ebay auctions, but I ended up with a much better condition (& local) car for the $.

Silverbullet
01-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Well... there is "good running"... and "Upgraded" Mine has Stage 1 and wings-a-loft.... as well as new everything... and new combo fuel pump, factory radio with I pod hook up, interior is great... It just runs great, like a Swiss Watch, no issues... that is worth a lot to me... I don't like getting stranded... I was VERY lucky Don and Danny did a lot of the work and it was done right... I have over 40k in it... but it is worth more to me...

Craig

Lwanmtr
01-13-2016, 06:18 AM
For my experience (so far)....I paid 13k (about 15 with renting truck and trailer)..have put about 3500 in parts and labor..and my estimate for what needs done still is about 5-8k to get it back up to a very presentable and good running state (not concourse, but i dont want that)...so based on that I think the 25k rule is still valid.

Ebay prices are all over the map, so you cant trust that..seen some go for less than I think they should..and some have been relisted over and over at near 40k.