PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure reading

Trstno1
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Hey guys-

So just this last summer I had changed the oil, oil filter, and oil pressure sender on my car. All through the driving season everything seemed to be operating as it should with idle pressure around 60 and up to just shy of 80 driving under a load. Since then my car has been parked in the garage. I needed to move the car the other day to use the space to work on my daily driver and upon startup noticed that the oil pressure gauge bounced immediately over the 80 psi mark when idling acting like its having a seizure jumping around and pegs maxed out when given throttle. If I shut the car off the gauge rests around 20 psi like normal. What gives? Cold oil? Clogged oil filter? Clogged sender?

In order to troubleshoot I unplugged the sender and witnessed the gauge immediately peg and not move with ignition and start. I then grounded sender wire and witnessed the gauge go to 0 psi. This would lead me to believe the gauge in the dash is good. I checked the oil level which looked good with a level between the notches like normal. Am I missing a step in the trouble shooting process? Could I already have a bad sender? Or would leaving a car sit in a 55 degree garage thicken the oil to the point of throwing a high pressure warning? I sort of want to let the car idle for awhile to let the oil warm up thus maybe unsticking something that may be gunked up but definitely don't want to hurt the engine. Thoughts?

opethmike
01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Get an external oil pressure gauge. I think I paid like $20 for mine. Hook that up and see what it says. That'll tell you right away where your issue is.

DMCMW Dave
01-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Gauge is good, sender is bad.

Trstno1
01-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Gauge is good, sender is bad.

Thanks for the quick response. Any reason for a sender to go bad that's only 6 months old?

SS Spoiler
01-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Had same problem, had same question, DMCMW said bad sender
replaced .....all ok

88KPH
01-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Mines always done this, Starts at 80psi, jumping around, on a long hot run it may drop down to 60psi.
I just thought it was another Delorean quirk.
What ideally should it do?

Trstno1
01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Had same problem, had same question, DMCMW said bad sender
replaced .....all ok

ok, guess I'll get a new sender and see what happens. Thanks!

DMCMW Dave
01-20-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Any reason for a sender to go bad that's only 6 months old?

No, but it happens. Some seem to last forever, some don't.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Short answer....Chinese part! They're out there. Buy from trusted source.
Rob

Trstno1
01-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Short answer....Chinese part! They're out there. Buy from trusted source.
Rob

Is there any vender selling a sender that's not made in China? If so, how much $?

PJ Grady Inc.
01-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Is there any vender selling a sender that's not made in China? If so, how much $?
The ones we sell are currently made in Mexico and seem to be reliable. The price is $39.75. Very little is made in America these days but the parts we make for the Delorean usually are.
Rob