PDA

View Full Version : General Where were you 35 years ago today?...................

88KPH
01-21-2016, 02:30 PM
First production Delorean............

Dangermouse
01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
It was a Wednesday, so I was at school, not far from there.

burch
01-21-2016, 03:05 PM
I was 12 days old :)

DavidProehl
01-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Getting my diaper changed most likely and crawling around like a madman. I was 16 months old. Also, celebrating my Dad's birthday as best I could for that age. Yes, my Dad has a pretty cool birthday.

Ryan S.
01-21-2016, 05:22 PM
I don't know if it was exactly today but I remember stopping by a Delorean dealership in Davis, CA with my dad. Sitting in an awesome looking brand new Delorean and thinking that someday I am going to own this car. Someday....

Michael
01-21-2016, 05:41 PM
It was Wedensday, I was in 3rd grade. I remember because that was the day of the infamous pop quiz in Mrs. Jackson's history class. I sit in the front row that day because I had a crush on Jenny Winston and she was wearing her Pacman t-shirt and it had very short sleeves...got to see a lot of arm. I remember as she passed the copies of the test back she glanced over and looked at me with those beautiful green eyes and said "What are you looking at geekoid?" I was heartbroken. Lunch made up for it because mom had packed my favorite, blogona and mustard....unfortunately mom was colorblind and the mustard and ketchup were in the same kind of bottle. I washed it down with the 1% milk that would have been good had it not sit next to the radiator heator in the class all day. After recess and me spending the next 20 minutes getting the wedgie unstuck I scampered back into the hallway for my daily beating from Freddie Higgins and his crew of future trash collectors (one comes by my house every week now).

The bus ride home found me gazing out the window as I passed nice home after nice home with nice car after nice car in the driveway. As the bus stopped in front of these 1,800 sq ft mansions, the other children left one by one to meet their beautiful parents in their beautiful homes. They paraded up the bus isle like they were on a model runway flashing Members Only jackets and the cuff of their Levis breaking just enough so I could see the Nike swoosh while I looked down at my Flea market socks because the Rustler jeans I was wearing were almost 3 years old now barely covered my calves.

Once in the saftey of my trailer and the precious few minutes I had with the TV while dad worked on guns and mom flipped through her magazines complaining the kitchen was a mess, I caught a news break where this amazing looking car had just left the factory destined to make it's way to my country! As the footage seared into my soft delicate 9 year old memory, the lines and the gleam from the bare stainless mesmorized me. The gull wing door rising into the air made me feel funny like I was looking at Jenny Winston in a sleeveless v neck.

That night I wrote Jenny a goodbye note saying I had found another and the next day I delivered it to her (and her new boyfriend Freddie Higgins),...who promptly made said note my lunch for that day. A little ketchup would have been nice.

Anyway that was my January 21, 1981 as I remember it.

airfireman1
01-21-2016, 05:44 PM
On my honeymoon. Still married the same lady.

SS Spoiler
01-21-2016, 07:20 PM
I was working as a carpenter, and remember reading in Popular Science
About the new radical DeLorean car. Never saw one live until 1988 on the lot
Park Jeep in Burnsville MN.

Gregadeth
01-21-2016, 07:20 PM
For me it was just another normal day of not being born yet. :umm:

mr_maxime
01-21-2016, 07:32 PM
For me it was just another normal day of not being born yet. :umm:

Same here. I dont think my parents were even together yet.

refugeefromcalif
01-21-2016, 07:34 PM
I was 19 years old, had just started my first Real job as a machinist two weeks before with a company I'd been working part time for, (after leaving the Navy).
I remember hearing, (at some point that year), about the car I'd previously read about, (and lusted over), finally being available to buy.
31 years later I was able to, "Live the Dream"...

George

DL4567
01-21-2016, 09:32 PM
I was 12 days old :)

I was 11 days old. :wave2:

burch
01-21-2016, 10:13 PM
I was 19 years old, had just started my first Real job as a machinist two weeks before with a company I'd been working part time for, (after leaving the Navy).
I remember hearing, (at some point that year), about the car I'd previously read about, (and lusted over), finally being available to buy.
31 years later I was able to, "Live the Dream"...

George

Very cool! I think you have the closest VIN to mine that I've seen too. I'm 6631

I was 11 days old. :wave2:

Haha, happy belated birthday then!

Rich_NYS
01-21-2016, 10:18 PM
I was in high school, and it was the 80's.....

Bruce Johnson
01-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Delorean :dunno: house, Delorean :hmm: house, Delorean :thinkin: house.....:sleeping: house

Alan
01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
My recollection isn't nearly as good as Michael's. I was in 6th grade. It had been 2 years since one of my best friends from 4th grade had told me about this guy who was going to build this cool, unpainted car with really unique doors... and I didn't remember about it at all. It would be another 8 years or so before I saw BTTF (on VHS) and realized the time machine was what my 4th grade friend Chris Carlson had been talking about.

SamHill
01-22-2016, 06:33 AM
In Mrs. Covey's first grade class at Portsmouth Christian, listening her debate whether she was supposed to teach metric or not.

DMC5180
01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
In high school with a freshly minted learners permit. Dreaming about a car that seemed incredibly unattainable for a soon to be 16 year old. Little did I know that dream would be fulfilled 13 years later.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I was working in our service department anxiously waiting for our first Delorean to arrive. The first three arrived about a month later and my lifelong career began that day. I just didn't know it then. Hindsight is 20 20.
Rob

Domi
01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
I was 8 years old...

88KPH
01-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Oh I started it & forgot to say, I was at Primary (Junior?) school, not aware of launch & only vaguely aware of collapse. First real awareness came 4 years later in the form of a long forgotten, small, foreign film.

I was working in our service department anxiously waiting for our first Delorean to arrive. The first three arrived about a month later and my lifelong career began that day. I just didn't know it then. Hindsight is 20 20.
Rob

That's great, there can't be many people who have had their whole life (so far) involved with such a short lived company.
I'd guess nobody in NI where they were actually built & so many dreams shattered.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Oh I started it & forgot to say, I was at Primary (Junior?) school, not aware of launch & only vaguely aware of collapse. First real awareness came 4 years later in the form of a long forgotten, small, foreign film.

That's great, there can't be many people who have had their whole life (so far) involved with such a short lived company.
I'd guess nobody in NI where they were actually built & so many dreams shattered.

I'd guess Don Steger and myself are the only Delorean dinosaurs that have been there from the beginning but I have a long way to go before lumbering off into the sunset....I hope!
Rob

Michael
01-22-2016, 03:38 PM
I'd guess Don Steger and myself are the only Delorean dinosaurs that have been there from the beginning but I have a long way to go before lumbering off into the sunset....I hope!
Rob

I thought Don retired?

PJ Grady Inc.
01-22-2016, 04:04 PM
I thought Don retired?

He did but is doing side work and I just saw him say on Facebook he is thinking of "unretiring" if there is such a word.
Rob

Lenny
01-23-2016, 08:01 PM
I was a K-9 cop. So I was probably out following the smart one of the partnership.

Spittybug
01-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Just starting second semester of my Freshman year in college; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). I remember seeing the ads and thinking "how cool would that be...."

skill
01-29-2016, 12:41 AM
I was in kindergarten. Into Hotwheels madly. I remember being taught how to plant. At recess we had these massive wooden blocks heavy as hell and we made this big ass car we'd pretend to drive. One of my first glimpse of a Delorean was on our big Philco television... I watched the TV commercial in my wanna be Michael Jackson burgandy pleather pants. Who's Bad?