PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Deloreans: Last car I want...

Twilight_Fenrir
08-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I'm 24 from Minnesota, and have a great affinity for cars that were unique, and ahead of their time. My collection includes a '66 Oldsmobile Toronado, an '86 Pontiac Fiero, a pair of 80's El Camino's.... and a '61 Willy's CJ5 that was free when I bought my house :P I do all my own maintenence, I have my Olds 425 apart at the moment to replace a failed lifter.

The last car I really want to add, is a DeLorean. Over the last day or two, I've become obsessed with researching and learning what I could about the car... and I find there's something of a lack of specific technical information out there... Which I guess brings me here :D

I was always told DeLoreans were under-powered because all the stainless steel weighed them down... Only to find out there's very little steel in them at all, they're actually very light, and they're built like my Fiero... but in reverse. Neat. Also always thought they were a mid-engine, a little disapointed to find they're a rear-engine.

Anywho, that's where I'm at for the moment, I'll be posting around, finding out how feasible it is to do what I'd like to do with one, and weather I can afford it. Hopefully, I'll be able to find one too!

Thanks,
Richard

dvonk
08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
welcome to the best place for DeLorean info! :wave2:

DMC3165
08-19-2011, 11:40 PM
welcome to the best place for DeLorean info! :wave2:

+1

This forum has the most knowledgeable group of DeLorean owners and enthusiasts around. Good luck in your hunt for a D

DavidProehl
08-20-2011, 01:11 AM
MN has a great group of owners. We do a few events together each year and each one of them are the kind of people you'd enjoy knowing even if you didn't share a passion for the car. Let me know if you end up looking at cars to buy in the Twin Cities, I'd be happy to look at them with you.

sean
08-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Jonathan
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Over the last day or two, I've become obsessed with researching and learning what I could about the car...
Richard

Welcome to the forum Richard. If I could give you only one piece of advice it would be to suggest you continue to thoroughly research and learn about the cars until that initial "obsession" has come back to reality. IMO the worst thing you can do is buy a DeLorean based on emotion.

Byrne H&A
08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Hello Richard and welcome to the world of Delorean,
There is much good and exciting information available, come and visit us. www.DeLoreanupgradeparts.com Happy to know of your great collection. Byrne

Twilight_Fenrir
08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
MN has a great group of owners. We do a few events together each year and each one of them are the kind of people you'd enjoy knowing even if you didn't share a passion for the car. Let me know if you end up looking at cars to buy in the Twin Cities, I'd be happy to look at them with you.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind :D I see one or two on the Minneapolis Craigslist every now and then. But never responded because I knew they were above my means.

Welcome to the forum Richard. If I could give you only one piece of advice it would be to suggest you continue to thoroughly research and learn about the cars until that initial "obsession" has come back to reality. IMO the worst thing you can do is buy a DeLorean based on emotion.

Yeah, no kidding. I've always loved the cars, it had just recently occurred to me that I could actually probably afford one. So I wanted to start seriously looking into them, what they are, how they work, and such. Never actually seen one though... >_>

Since starting my actual research, i've discovered that no... no I can't affors one. Or, rather, I could afford a nice Looking D lawn ornament, and little more. Maybe next year. But still, now is the time to learn. I'm going to find out everything I can beforehand.

Domi
08-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

1Mcfly4u
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard !

Karin
08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey there and welcome to the forums. Enjoy our complimentary cookies and punch while we discuss our beloved car.

dmc6960
08-24-2011, 04:59 PM
The 12 annual Minnesota fall gathering is happening in a month...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1370-2011-Minnesota-Apple-Orchard-Get-Together

If your really interested in the DeLorean, this is the place to go. Its about the only regular high-attendance DeLorean meet in Minnesota.