PDA

View Full Version : How To: Installation of Hella Dual Air Horn with wireless remote horn button

Ryan S.
01-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Here is my installation write up.
Took me pretty much entire day because I had to do a lot of trial and errors and took time to avoid making any catastrophic errors. Plus I was doing other things to my car.

First part is installing wireless remote to (fake) Momo steering wheel horn button.

I purchased a 1 button 433mhz wireless RF switch relay remote (http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00JL3J594?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) from Amazon for about $9. It took about a month to get here. Basically opened the remote and soldered lines to remote button and connected to MOMO horn button. Finally wraped it all up behind horn button using electrical tapes and plastic ties. Yes, I know it looks terrible and I will have a tough time when I have to change a battery.
Snap back into steering wheel and you are done.

If you are wondering, I added a metal washer to increase button sensitivity. You may want to test and make sure your remote button works by hooking up the wireless relay to a light bulb or something using 9V battery. When you press the button and light comes on then you know that you did it right.

39255 3925639257392583925939260

Ryan S.
01-24-2016, 03:08 PM
I purchased Hella 2-Trumpet 12V Air Horn Kit from Amazon (http://amazon.com/gp/product/B001ODRWFS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) for $35.

Second part is to install the actual horns and compressor. This is where I spent tons of time trying to find a right location.
Finally decided to put horns above the exiting left horn using a L shaped bracket that I had it in my tool box. This part was pretty easy.

1. Get L shaped metal bracket. Doesn't have to be very strong since horns are pretty light.
2. Attach horns to L bracket.
3. Remove a nut that holding the left horn and put the L bracket and re-attach a nut.

I wanted to mount the compressor where it is protected from elements but couldn't find a good location inside of trunk without drilling a hole. So after several hours of trials and errors, I ended up attaching it next to horns/windshield washer container using a small L bracket. It is not the best location but I didn't have much options.

By the way, Hella Air Horn kit doesn't come with any brackets so you need to get your own

Ryan S.
01-24-2016, 03:52 PM
I didn't want to use wiring from existing horns and I also wanted to leave old horns alone since they are working.
So I had to pull a dedicated line from battery. Also using a standard relay that came with the kit and using the wireless remote relay.
This took some trials and errors. Fortunately, I didn't damage anything is the process.

1. Connecting relay and wireless remote relay

I think this is correct. Dave can verify and make sure I didn't mess it up.

39268 39269

Wireless relay didn't come with a case so I had find one. It fits nicely into a bicycle flat tire patch kit case. Just had to drill a hole for led light.

2. Installing the relay kits to electric compartment

Thanks to Patrick C's recommendation, I got busbars with covers from Amazon. I wish I had these earlier. Makes installation easy and clean.
Basically connecting 85 and wireless relay (-) to ground terminals and lines from COM, 30, and 12V(+) to battery terminals. Blue line (87) goes to horn compressor (+) terminal.
And added a fuse (15a) to a wire that goes to battery

39270 39271

3. Wiring from relay to compressor

I just ran a dedicated 14g wire from electrical box through center console, to under dash, trunk, fuel compartment area, brake master cylinder, and etc... Nothing too complicated
Used plastic ties to secure the wire. Do not tie it to radiator hoses or pipes. It might melt.
Attacheed compressor's (-) wire to ground. I ended up attaching it between horn bracket and old horn.

Ryan S.
01-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Now I have a horn that works like a regular car and sounds like an Italian car.
It's very loud. And it should be this loud if I want to get any attention on the road from a distracted drivers.

I don't know how often I have to change battery for remote button. Hope it won't be too often.
I may add a cut off switch later. Just in case, if wireless remote or relay malfunctions and stays on.
I am still not sure about the location of compressor. Hope someone can come up with a better location.

Otherwise very happy with this installation

Bitsyncmaster
01-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Not sure if the compressor would fit but there is some room behind the front grill. There are also two large ground wires from the relay compartment to the headlight grounds. If you wire the headlight grounds to the frame, you can use one or both of those large wires for a power feed. It's easy to drive them with power in the relay compartment. The wires are black though. I did that on my car but only need a low power feed for my side light blinkers.

DavidProehl
01-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Great write up Ryan! Very detailed. Would love to hear the horn, can you post a video of it in action?

Ryan S.
01-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Great write up Ryan! Very detailed. Would love to hear the horn, can you post a video of it in action?
You got it. I'll take some video and upload it this weekend.

Dangermouse
01-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Nice idea.

is the momo wheel intended to have a center mounted horn or did you have to do something to it to get enough space?

Ryan S.
01-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Nice idea.

is the momo wheel intended to have a center mounted horn or did you have to do something to it to get enough space?

Steering wheel came with a horn button already. Even a fake momo wheel had one.

Ryan S.
01-30-2016, 02:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvDOk_GneKE

DavidProehl
01-30-2016, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvDOk_GneKE

Wow! Just a little different huh? Nicely done! You will certainly be heard now.

Patrick C
01-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks to Patrick C's recommendation, I got busbars with covers from Amazon. I wish I had these earlier. Makes installation easy and clean.

Glad to help!

thegodfather
01-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Where did you get that steering wheel?

thegodfather
01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Never mind, I found it. Where did you find the DMC logo to go in the middle?

DavidProehl
01-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Never mind, I found it. Where did you find the DMC logo to go in the middle?

I should probably give Ryan a chance to reply himself, but I think he bought the wheel from DMCMW with the logo already embedded. I'm not sure they still stock these momo style wheels anymore.

Ryans car is currently for sale (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14543-81-Automatic-Delorean-for-Sale). Depending on how badly you want that wheel, if you offered him above retail price for it maybe you could convince him to go to the effort remove it to sell it to you. I'm guessing it would have to be a very favorable offer (at least it would for me). Just a thought.