PDA

View Full Version : Spark Advance Table

lazabby
01-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Could someone, preferably with and automatic, post a picture of their spark advance table? I'd like ot compare with mine.

dn010
02-19-2016, 01:23 PM
I had TunerStudio generate the table for me (paid version though). What it came up with seems pretty good only I had to adjust what it was at the 700rpm range/idle. You might look into doing the same.

Could someone, preferably with and automatic, post a picture of their spark advance table? I'd like ot compare with mine.

opethmike
02-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Tuner Studio does generation of the VE table, not the spark advance. They have on-line advice on how to start a base line though.

Josh
02-25-2016, 01:03 AM
Tuner Studio does generation of the VE table, not the spark advance. They have on-line advice on how to start a base line though.

X2

Also there should not be a difference between ignition tables on a manual vs an automatic transmission vehicle.

opethmike
02-27-2016, 11:55 PM
The following link explains the basic theory behind creating a base-line spark advance table; and with some inputs from the user can generate one for you. Spark advance isn't a dark shrouded mystery.

The baseline it can create for you, if you enter the DeLorean engine properties correctly, will come eerily close to match the description of the spark advance curve found in the workshop manual.

http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/advrules.htm

dn010
02-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Maybe I'm using a different version, but once I entered all my engine info along with where my timing would be at idle, TS had generated a usable ignition table for me when I opened the table window.

opethmike
02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Maybe I'm using a different version, but once I entered all my engine info along with where my timing would be at idle, TS had generated a usable ignition table for me when I opened the table window.

It didn't 'generate' anything. That's a standard table that it comes set with.

Josh
02-29-2016, 01:20 PM
I have used the AFR and VE table generator before - just to see what it would come up with. The result was pretty bad. So even if there is an ignition table generator, I wouldn't have much faith in it.

opethmike
02-29-2016, 01:30 PM
There is a tremendous amount of engine tuning theory; including what AFRs are good for what load/rpm ranges for which kind of engines, what kind of ignition advances are good for load/rpm ranges, etc, all sitting out there.

Josh and I learned from doing A LOT of reading on in-depth engine theory, all from free articles through google. Stay away from learning on kiddie tuner sites, and pay attention to engineering documents, articles by established tuner shops, etc.

The AFR/VE table generators in Tuner Studio are garbage. The following is my AFR table, which is pretty much what 99% of naturally aspirated engines are going to look like. Of course, the underlying VE will vary, but the AFR target ranges are almost always identical.

Josh
02-29-2016, 04:47 PM
For sake of comparision, here is my AFR table. This table is a result of constant tweaking over 13000mi

Mine is more aggressive as I leaned it out in the cruise sections for better mpg on the highway. I do not recommend this to a beginner. But it just goes to show there is no one "correct" or "perfect" tune. It is what you want it to be. That is where properly understanding the concept comes in. This comes from a lot of research!

opethmike
02-29-2016, 06:37 PM
As you can see, our tunes are quite close; biggest difference is Josh goes very lean in the cruising cells. We match at idle, and at peak power, and at peak torque.

He was running a basic 3.0 Eagle engine, whereas I run a PRV 2.85 with heads/cams/exhaust; so our underlying VE tables are very different.

dn010
05-03-2017, 09:32 AM
I'd just like to add this website as a reference here. I was wrong in that the actual TS program created an initial table for me, I used this website but what it creates will still need a lot of work. Good luck.

http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm