PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Greetings from a new member

MADMACK692
01-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Hello!

I'm new to the forum. I have always been interested in DeLoreans since I was 12 (now 33). I was considering getting one as a project. I am currently finishing up an 88 Monte Carlo SS then Id like to start a D.

I had originally intended to spend about 10-15k for a car needing work. Not crashed, rusted out or a basket case, but a mostly complete non running or high mileage car. Maybe even a failed engine swap. Is this realistic? I know a while back you could get a driver for 16-20k but seems like all the ones out there now either belong in a museum or junkyard, and no matter what you can't touch one for under 20 grand.

I like DeLoreans and all, but I think for 20k for a project car I would just get a new truck or a wrx.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

sdg3205
01-30-2016, 12:41 AM
Welcome. Have a quick read. You won't have much luck getting something decent for $20k.

There is a failed BTTF conversion car for sale for under $10k. Have a peak under the "for sale" section.

Please read before posting “I want a cheap DeLorean” or “Project Car Wanted” threads
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?t=371

MADMACK692
01-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Welcome. Have a quick read. You won't have much luck getting something decent for $20k.

There is a failed BTTF conversion car for sale for under $10k. Have a peak under the "for sale" section.

Please read before posting “I want a cheap DeLorean” or “Project Car Wanted” threads
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?t=371

Thanks! I did happen across that car. Something like that without holes drilled in the stainless would be perfect.

Looks like I would be anywhere in this range:

- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.

That's really what I want. "A daily driver with some work."

I don't really want something "cheap" Just don't want a high priced museum piece. I want something I can drive and if I put the work in it myself at least I'll know it was done right. id rather buy a 10k car and put another 10k in it than pay 20k and not know what was done, if it was done right or done the way I want it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open...

sdg3205
01-30-2016, 02:25 AM
Cool beans.

Unfortunately even that post was written in 2011 and the prices have probably jumped $5-$7k up in each category. We should probably update it :)

I bought my project car in 2009 for $12k. It kinda ran, kinda stopped etc. The same car is $18-20k now.

You've come to the right place. We can help you determine if a DMC is worth the asking price. We're fortunate to have DeLorean vendors as regulars on this forum who will provide sage wisdom.

Best of luck.

kajcienski
01-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks! I did happen across that car. Something like that without holes drilled in the stainless would be perfect.

Looks like I would be anywhere in this range:

- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.

That's really what I want. "A daily driver with some work."

I don't really want something "cheap" Just don't want a high priced museum piece. I want something I can drive and if I put the work in it myself at least I'll know it was done right. id rather buy a 10k car and put another 10k in it than pay 20k and not know what was done, if it was done right or done the way I want it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open...

Those prices seem extremely optimistic to me - and the numbers mean nothing without understanding what is easily acquired on a DeLorean restoration and "restorable" - assuming you have a dream of a perfect D one day. I don't usually chime in on these type of threads, but have wanting to give my two cents on this subject. This type of analysis on any car is very tough. I have been going through a similar mindset on buying an MGA and wanting a clean cut answer - no dice. An MGA is new territory for me and want (so badly) to have a simple answer to condition and price - and the dream of bringing an MGA back to life with some elbow grease. Reality check. My brother recently bought, for example, an old car following a guideline much like you stated above - and ended up replacing every part possible as the overall condition was just that - "overall". Not all, but most cars (say a DeLorean, what the heck!) in the $10-20k range have a lot in terms of cosmetic restoration that simply cannot be "fixed to look new". A fortune can be spent trying to get a $20k car to look like a $40k car cosmetically - forget mechanical. You just don't bring a faded DeLorean interior into a shop and replicate. It simply is not that type of interior. You replace one vent, then the rest look shabby. You replace one knee pad, and the rest look warn, off-color, and unsavory. It is a reality with a project car that hard work will not equal a clean car. My point is just be aware when buying a project specialized like a DeLorean. Elbow grease gets you mechanicals, money gets you cosmetics. Think about what you really want in your ideal car - and what your challenges are - or what makes you happy in owning a car like this...

Domi
01-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

MADMACK692
01-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! You sure a friendly bunch!

I am confident I can do almost all of the work myself. If I had to pay someone it would not be worth getting a cheap car.

I really have no expectation of buying a 15k DeLorean and turning it into a 40k museum piece for another 5k. I just want a driver. I can do the mechanical / body work. I know a guy that can do upholstery. I am sure without bankrupting myself I can have a mechanically sound presentable car. It may not be 100% authentic but I don't care.

Saw another one go on ebay for 20k that looked like it was painted then had the paint stripped and needed a new interior... Starting to think I'm priced out of the market for now. I'll keep checking it out I'm not in any hurry...

Does anyone know if any of the vendors sell project cars or could put me in touch with someone that tried to sell the vendor a non running car that they didn't want?

Thanks everyone!

kajcienski
01-31-2016, 02:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! You sure a friendly bunch!

I am confident I can do almost all of the work myself. If I had to pay someone it would not be worth getting a cheap car.

I really have no expectation of buying a 15k DeLorean and turning it into a 40k museum piece for another 5k. I just want a driver. I can do the mechanical / body work. I know a guy that can do upholstery. I am sure without bankrupting myself I can have a mechanically sound presentable car. It may not be 100% authentic but I don't care.

Saw another one go on ebay for 20k that looked like it was painted then had the paint stripped and needed a new interior... Starting to think I'm priced out of the market for now. I'll keep checking it out I'm not in any hurry...

Does anyone know if any of the vendors sell project cars or could put me in touch with someone that tried to sell the vendor a non running car that they didn't want?

Thanks everyone!

I think you have a positive plan for what you want out of the car! Welcome!

DMC-81
01-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Yes. The vendors may sell project cars, or at least they used to. I bought mine as a running project from DMCFL. I was very happy with the quality of the car and the deal.

Cheers,