PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body What is this engine lid latch meant to look like

Petey
02-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Hi there!

What is this little latch meant to look like? Is this how they came from the factory? :)
http://www.peterleary.com/ForumFiles/IMG_6262-JmeyroYVZp.JPG

Thanks,
Pete

vwdmc16
02-03-2016, 01:02 AM
That is not factory, someone installed that to help hold the lower engine lid up because the factory holder to support the lid open is terrible

Ryan King
02-03-2016, 01:03 AM
Not stock, no. I added something similar to my car to help pull the lower engine cover up higher. Plus, if you use the factory lower compartment engine bracket, it can bend the fiberglass. I'm not a big fan of it.

Petey
02-03-2016, 02:48 AM
Hehe, yeah it actually works great!
But without that, there's nothing to hold it up (on my car). How does it usually stay up?

DMC-81
02-03-2016, 07:33 AM
But without that, there's nothing to hold it up (on my car). How does it usually stay up?

Hi there,

The factory holder is 106363 engine cover stay assembly. It looks like it's NLA. There are other vendors that sell a holder like you pictured that fastens to the louver.

As others have mentioned, the original holder is hard on the fiberglass lower engine cover. I have made a prop rod for times when I need to have the cover open for a while to avoid any cracks.

Lou and "Boo"
02-03-2016, 04:05 PM
I believe mattdavid on dmctoday has a nos one for sale.

Rich
02-04-2016, 10:32 PM

The OE engine cover support is the shiny trapezoidal bail that's seen in upper center of this engine bay photo.

LINK: File:1982_DeLorean_DMC-12_engine (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1982_DeLorean_DMC-12_engine.JPG)

Hinged to the back of the engine bay, when the cover is up the support clips into a molded plastic receptacle mounted along the central rib of the engine cover.