PDA

View Full Version : A/C panel lights jumper

Spittybug
08-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Someone kindly remind me which pins get jumpered in the relay socket so that the A/C panel lights only come on with the headlights..... I had it wired this way and removed the jumper when I was doing some work in there. I only noticed last night that I don't have lights. The old site had a "how to" on it I think, but I couldn't find one here.

Thanks.

EdR5150
08-20-2011, 10:00 PM
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/acpanellites.htm

http://www.16908.info/?p=341

Spittybug
08-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Perfect, thank you.

Bitsyncmaster
08-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Someone kindly remind me which pins get jumpered in the relay socket so that the A/C panel lights only come on with the headlights..... I had it wired this way and removed the jumper when I was doing some work in there. I only noticed last night that I don't have lights. The old site had a "how to" on it I think, but I couldn't find one here.

Thanks.

That's why I permanently (butt connector) modified my wiring by clipping the wires and connecting.

chef4u
08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
It works, thanks.
I went ahead and replaced those lights with LED's.

DeLorean03
08-22-2011, 01:27 AM
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/relay-comp2.jpg

Pull #11.

Take a pair of pliers and gently wiggle the MIDDLE SPADE back and forth over and over until it gets flimsy, and then lightly break it off. That spade is the ONLY one you want to mess with. Reinstall relay. Now the AC panel lights will be off until the headlight switch is activated.

Bitsyncmaster
08-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Take a pair of pliers and gently wiggle the MIDDLE SPADE back and forth over and over until it gets flimsy, and then lightly break it off. That spade is the ONLY one you want to mess with. Reinstall relay. Now the AC panel lights will be off until the headlight switch is activated.

As I read the schematic, the lights go full intensity with the key on and dim (uses resistor) when the lights are switched on. Removing the center pin would just use the "dimmed" light function. It probably would not be noticed with LEDs.

The jumper solution eliminates the load and heat produced by the relay coil power and gives you full intensity of the lights.

Kenny_Z
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you for this thread, I did the modification earlier today and it is so much nicer.

content22207
08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Actually the original intent of the A/C panel relay was to have a totally opaque black panel that you could not even see the control markings on until the car was energized and the panel was illuminated. See p. 52 of the Gold Portfolio (Car & Driver July 1981). Vin 500 has the opaque panel:

Obviously this razzle dazzle was dropped for production cars, but the original wiring remained intact.

Bill Robertson

DeLorean03
08-24-2011, 01:20 AM
As I read the schematic, the lights go full intensity with the key on and dim (uses resistor) when the lights are switched on. Removing the center pin would just use the "dimmed" light function. It probably would not be noticed with LEDs.

The jumper solution eliminates the load and heat produced by the relay coil power and gives you full intensity of the lights.

Point noted. I performed this mod back before LEDs were so widely used on our cars, and I was trying to keep the warping on the A/C panel down to a minimum. With LEDs, I suppose I could go back to "stock" setup. Either way, everyone wins (: !

DeLorean03
08-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Sean, I'd say this one should go under the resources/useful tech stuff thread (Same place the cold start valve testing is located).

sean
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Sean, I'd say this one should go under the resources/useful tech stuff thread (Same place the cold start valve testing is located).

Done.

Nicholas R
08-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Here's another link:

http://deloreanproject.com/index-5.html

Farrar
09-05-2011, 01:50 PM
According to the schematic, inserting that jumper between pins 30 and 86 bypasses the resistor (red socket). Is that resistor part of anything else, or could it be removed after making this mod?

Farrar

Bitsyncmaster
09-05-2011, 01:51 PM
According to the schematic, inserting that jumper between pins 30 and 86 bypasses the resistor (red socket). Is that resistor part of anything else, or could it be removed after making this mod?

Farrar

Remove it.

Farrar
09-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Remove it.

Thanks. I need the space.

Farrar

JohnZ
03-25-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm resurrecting this old thread since I want to do this mod. However I found a discrepancy between this link http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/acpanellites.htm that states that the jumper should be performed from the bottom pin to the RIGHT pin of the socket and this link http://deloreanproject.com/A_C_Panel_Lighting_Update_Options/index.html that tells that the jumper goes from the bottom hole to the TOP one.

Which one is correct???

Bitsyncmaster
03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm resurrecting this old thread since I want to do this mod. However I found a discrepancy between this link http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/acpanellites.htm that states that the jumper should be performed from the bottom pin to the RIGHT pin of the socket and this link http://deloreanproject.com/A_C_Panel_Lighting_Update_Options/index.html that tells that the jumper goes from the bottom hole to the TOP one.

Which one is correct???

Looking at the schematic, Your deloreanproject.com photo is wrong. That would keep the lights on dim all the time.

It would have to jumper to one of the sides (schematic I think shows the bottom) so I would guess the dmcnews.com info is correct.

JohnZ
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Looking at the schematic, Your deloreanproject.com photo is wrong. That would keep the lights on dim all the time.

It would have to jumper to one of the sides (schematic I think shows the bottom) so I would guess the dmcnews.com info is correct.

Ok, so does it go like this? (yellow line):

:)

Bitsyncmaster
03-26-2015, 04:23 AM
Ok, so does it go like this? (yellow line):

Yes that would be how I read the DMCnews info. If it's the left side it would not harm anything, the lights would just not turn on, ever.

JohnZ
03-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Yes that would be how I read the DMCnews info. If it's the left side it would not harm anything, the lights would just not turn on, ever.

Ok thanks Dave! I wonder why the other site there carries that sort of misinformation (the wrong picture)... :shameful:

ALEXAKOS
03-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I just replaced all bulbs with LEDs.

JohnZ
03-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Today I built my own jumper and installed it.

I must have done it the right way, 'cause the mod works fine!!

DMC5180
04-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Instead of doing the wire jumper, just remove the relay and break off or cut the 87a (NC) spade from the relay and plug it back in. The A/C panel light will be OFF with the key on and will turn ON with the headlight switch.

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Instead of doing the wire jumper, just remove the relay and break off or cut the 87a (NC) spade from the relay and plug it back in. The A/C panel light will be OFF with the key on and will turn ON with the headlight switch.

The OE wiring puts full power to the AC panel lights with the key on and reduced power (via resistor) when headlights go on. So doing the "break off pin 87a" will just give you the reduced power with headlights.

With the jumper you get full power to the AC panel with the headlights on. You can also remove the resistor if you want an extra relay socket to use for something else. And you don't add the power requirement of running current through a relay coil.

If you hardwire the "jumper" in the harness, then you can get two extra relay sockets to use for "extras" or just leave them empty.

DMCMW Dave
04-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Funny thing about that trick - be careful how you "break" that pin off. If you just grab it and twist with pliers, you'll often damage the internals of the relay and it wont work at all. It's hard to get in there but cutting it off is better.

Also be sure to paint that relay a different color as it will no longer interchange with the others. Although few other applications of that relay in the car use that center pin, a couple do. Be Nice to Future Mechanics.