PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Specialtauto.com Stainless Air Cleaner on Ebay

DeloreanJoshQ
02-14-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm selling a Specialtauto.com Stainless Air Cleaner on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301868472047?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Ends tonight

Ryan S.
02-14-2016, 04:59 PM
why are you selling it?

Michael
02-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Anything under 300 is a very good buy. That lexan window is easy to replace with a 10.00 bill and a trip to Lowes (provided you have a bandsaw)

PS, it sells new for 350, not 500.00

81dmc
02-14-2016, 09:15 PM
I would buy it, but where would the crankcase breather hose connect?

Michael
02-14-2016, 09:20 PM
I would buy it, but where would the crankcase breather hose connect?

It doesn't connect to anything, but you can make any number of mods. Here is what I did:

81dmc
02-14-2016, 09:23 PM
It doesn't connect to anything, but you can make any number of mods. Here is what I did:

Thanks, I guess I'll give a shot at bidding.

Michael
02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll give a shot at bidding.

You can get those breather filters at almost any parts store (in the ricer section).

The rods on mine were incorrectly welded too high and I had to tap extra threads to make it work. Not hard to fix if yours is like that.

81dmc
02-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Oh well... I tried, but someone beat me right at the end.

Ryan S.
02-15-2016, 12:22 AM

Are you talking about your cold air intake? It is not connected to anything??? Just for looks?
Bidding went much higher than I expected and I never had a chance.

Michael
02-15-2016, 01:19 AM
Are you talking about your cold air intake? It is not connected to anything??? Just for looks?
Bidding went much higher than I expected and I never had a chance.

No, the vent hose from the oil fill to the air box. With the new air box, it has nothing to hook up to so you can either just leave it loose or do something like I did.

If i remember right, those boxes were 400 bucks back in the day. They are now 350 so 275 is not bad, it's just a fairly narrow audience and a fairly narrow timeframe. Heck i can't remember the last time I cruised ebay just for something for my car that I didn't know i needed.

Ryan S.
02-15-2016, 01:52 AM
Ahhh.. That's right. I forgot about the oil fill vent hose. Adding a cold intake filter unit makes sense and looks cool.
Although one of pages is listed as $350, if you add it to basket, it becomes $500, which is too high for me.
Does it really make any differences in performance? Or just for aesthetic? By the way, you engine bay looks amazing with SS air cleaner with lights.

Michael
02-15-2016, 02:06 AM
Thanks, I like it. There are no performance gains whatsoever by running it. It's all cosmetic and I think it was mentioned, it does require a little "massaging" to make everything line up, but I have had it for around 4 or 5 years now with no issues.

dmc3130
05-07-2016, 10:48 AM
I just ordered on today from them. 499.00 the price has gone up. on the site it is lower but when you check out its $499.00

Michael
05-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I think I paid 200.00 but he gave me 100.00 off since I got it in bare form. I had to grain it and cut the lexan for it which was fine with me.
499....makes me think I should ebay mine. With the LED lights it might fetch 600.:eek1:

Chris 16409
05-07-2016, 01:49 PM
I just ordered on today from them. 499.00 the price has gone up. on the site it is lower but when you check out its $499.00

Stephen, tell John, you see it advertised lower on the web page. I've bought stuff from John where it is more expensive in the "cart" than on the webpage. He always gave me the lower price.

dmc3130
05-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Stephen, tell John, you see it advertised lower on the web page. I've bought stuff from John where it is more expensive in the "cart" than on the webpage. He always gave me the lower price.

Crap. I just saw this post. I'll contact him today. I received mine a couple of days ago. The finish is good but the plastic has a slite scuff on it (maybe from shipping) and the hole for the throttle body is slightly too big. Michael, did you have any issues with the this??

Michael
05-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Crap. I just saw this post. I'll contact him today. I received mine a couple of days ago. The finish is good but the plastic has a slite scuff on it (maybe from shipping) and the hole for the throttle body is slightly too big. Michael, did you have any issues with the this??

I had to finalize the graining and finish myself as well as cut the lexan plate. The fitment over the throttle body was OK but not as tight as I would like. Could easily be cured with a new o-ring from the hardware store of your choice. Mine wasn't loose enough to worry about.

jamesrguk
05-24-2016, 03:47 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I have one of these thrown on a heap of spare odds'n'sods in the corner of my garage.

I had it installed for a few years then went back to stock, mainly because it was one of the first ones that was manufactured (around 2003), the fit to the metering flap/venturi wasn't very good, and other aspects of the design were simply unsuitable.
For example under hard acceleration the filter element would lift up within the housing allowing the air to effectively bypass it, which defeats the object of having a filter in the first place.

Obviously the design was fine tuned and looks very good now and indeed mine could be tweaked to make it good but for now it will stay in the pile of odd, used dmc parts in the corner of my garage lol.

It's a reminder of a *very* brief time where I had cash in my pocket and was easily attracted by shiny DeLorean related trinkets :)

J