PDA

View Full Version : What do you watch, and what do you like/hate about it?

Mike C.
08-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Im not a sitcom person. I usually stay on Discovery, TLC, History channels.

Today I was watching 'Sons of Guns'. Seen the show before, and really don't like it. This was an episode where they wanted to build a remote controlled turret "because it doesn't exist" so they can protect soldiers, etc...

Problem is, remote controlled turrets do exist. When they are on the demonstration range, they shoot rounds at a school bus, and it explodes. Real crappy effects, real crappy production, pretty badly staged. I think this is the norm now for "documentary-type reality tv". Horribly staged, bad acting, and staging to make crap look awesome to a mentally challenged viewer.

I think the worst are the towing shows. I grew up next door to tow truck drivers/repo men. They really aren't that interesting.

dvonk
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
favorite show, hands down: How It's Made. :wrenchin:

i also enjoy Factory Made, How Do They Do It, etc., which are fairly similar.

shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration are pretty cool, but alot of times id rather be on the computer or doing something productive than watching TV.

Jonathan
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Sports. Any sports. Well except maybe soccer. That game ain't so beautiful to me.

But in the past, I watched a few others:

CSI (the Vegas one)
Seinfeld (all time fav and still watch it on reruns)
Friends (a close 2nd to Seinfeld)
TWIB (see sports above)
The discovery channel or TLC shows like Frontiers of Construction (or it might be called MegaConstruction?). There are some on big bridges or cruise ships or whatnot that'll glue me to the set.
Fear Factor
(occasionally) Survivor
I draw the line at all this other reality garbage with real housewives and jersey sluts.

timothymoore
08-21-2011, 04:20 PM
i like pawn stars, ghost hunters, auction hunters, deadliest warrior,sons of guns, that gator huntin show, man vs wild,dual survival, man vs food nation, dog the bounty hunter, The Ultimate Fighter, American Chopper SR VS JR, Jersey Shore ( just so i feel smart sometimes lol), Impact! Wrestling.

one show i hate.....Hardcore pawn.. that dude just tries to act like a mafia hard ass, and is really dissrespectful to the people that come in. i mean they will have a dude come in with like 600 worth of tools and that prick will say its only worth only 60 so he will only offer 40.

SamHill
08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Breaking Bad. What I hate about it is that it's on during a time when I can't catch it. AMC needs to move it to Friday or Saturday.

08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Pawn stars, Property hunters and property hunters international. I'm into real estate and always dreaming of a place somewhere but where I am, even though I doubt it'll happen.

Also like a couple of the shows where they buy storage unit and go through them for profit. Problem is I think there staged, they almost always find great value in them. I had a unit (mine) once where the stuff was worth maybe 1K to me but on the open market a couple of hundred. Mattress, box spring, table, chairs, etc. Who'd want to sleep on my mattress? It being only a few months old is fine but it's still used to them.

timothymoore
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Pawn stars, Property hunters and property hunters international. I'm into real estate and always dreaming of a place somewhere but where I am, even though I doubt it'll happen.

Also like a couple of the shows where they buy storage unit and go through them for profit. Problem is I think there staged, they almost always find great value in them. I had a unit (mine) once where the stuff was worth maybe 1K to me but on the open market a couple of hundred. Mattress, box spring, table, chairs, etc. Who'd want to sleep on my mattress? It being only a few months old is fine but it's still used to them.

the auction hunters show i dont beleive they are staged however if you listen before the show starts, they say the show details the adventures of there most valuable find. to be honest, who would wanna watch it if they were ust finding junk all the time lol

08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
the auction hunters show i dont beleive they are staged however if you listen before the show starts, they say the show details the adventures of there most valuable find. to be honest, who would wanna watch it if they were ust finding junk all the time lol

I always miss the first minute or two of the show, my recorder doesn't get it and I don't care enough to reset things. Thanks for pointing that out though, makes more sense. American Pickers can be OK, I enjoy learning about history, what I like about Riick and the Pawn Stars, even though his history isn't always on the mark.

timothymoore
08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
and auction hunters seasons are short, i think in the year or so it existed, they are already on season three because 80-85 percent of the storage bins they buy are junk so thats why there is sooooo many re-runs on all the time

Jonathan
08-21-2011, 09:46 PM
We have one on a channel here in Ontario called Storage Wars. Is that the same sort of show? I only saw one episode and it was funny in an odd way. I'd agree with you that it seems staged. The show I saw had a few bins they went through, one that had pretty much nothing but an empty safe, but that safe turned out to be the prize in itself. Same episode had a unit with newspapers... 1,000's of them, and they were all from some southern area newspaper the day after Elvis died. Worth $20 a piece or so supposedly. So tons of cash... IF you can find 5,000 people to buy one.

Ryan
08-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Breaking Bad. What I hate about it is that it's on during a time when I can't catch it. AMC needs to move it to Friday or Saturday.

Huge Breaking Bad fan as well.

Roman Legion
08-22-2011, 12:43 AM
I don't really have TV, so I just stream movies or listen to youtube.. I doubt I would want to really watch anything on TV anyway..lol

Mike C.
08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
We have one on a channel here in Ontario called Storage Wars. Is that the same sort of show? I only saw one episode and it was funny in an odd way. I'd agree with you that it seems staged. The show I saw had a few bins they went through, one that had pretty much nothing but an empty safe, but that safe turned out to be the prize in itself. Same episode had a unit with newspapers... 1,000's of them, and they were all from some southern area newspaper the day after Elvis died. Worth $20 a piece or so supposedly. So tons of cash... IF you can find 5,000 people to buy one.

Storage Wars is just like Auction Hunters, except it follows 4 main characters versus Auction Hunters following just the 2 guys. Yes, these two are horribly staged. Auction Hunters lets you know that it's pretty much re-creating some of their most successful finds, but Storage Wars just lets people think that crap is real as it happens.

I do like the old guy Barry on Storage Wars. He reminds me of old school vegas.