PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Time to paint.

penciltester
03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
So this Sunday, hopefully, we will be painting the black bits. My dad has a little shop with the correct tools and we have the correct paint. What prep do you guys recommend? Just soapy water and then alcohol to clean? My dad wants to scuff up everything with sand paper before we paint. I was thinking this would be be necessary for the painted stainless steel trim around the windshield but im not to sure about doing that to the side mirrors, louvres, and bumpers.

What have your experiences been with painting these bits? Anything you would have done differently in hindsight?

Thanks

DavidProehl
03-03-2016, 11:17 AM
I think scuffing up the windshield trim is normal, but I've never heard of anyone doing that to any of the plastic pieces (mirrors, bumpers, louvers). I haven't done any painting though so I'm sure others have suggestions from experience.

mluder
03-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Yeah... Window trim definitely wants a key. I would use a red scotch brite scuff pad instead of sand paper though. Sand paper can be too aggressive. Follow that up with a self etching primer of the same brand of top coat paint you're using. BTW the side windsheild trim is aluminum the top is stainless steel. Make sure you follow the instructions on flash time and re-coating o the paint may fail prematurely. Ask me how I know.

I would not sand the plastic bits. You'll take away, or dull, the texture tehy're supposed to have. Just clean with soap and water and use a good degreaser meant for paint prep.

Cheers
Steve

DMCMW Dave
03-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I would not sand the plastic bits. You'll take away, or dull, the texture tehy're supposed to have. Just clean with soap and water and use a good degreaser meant for paint prep.

Yeah - it's a trade-off. Paint will stick much better to a sanded surface, but sanding the mirrors will make them look smooth when finished, which isn't really correct. The original mirrors are not painted but are molded in black. If you really want to paint them, scrub as best you can and you may still end up repainting them from time to time. The other black parts are generally safe to sand. Keep in mind that the original fascia black areas are not paint at all, but are bare urethane. The engine cover and louver are painted, as well as the windshield moulding and center side vents. The rear vents (the ones next to the glass and the ones in the louver) are not painted.

Soundkillr
03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Yeah... Window trim definitely wants a key. I would use a red scotch brite scuff pad instead of sand paper though. Sand paper can be too aggressive. Follow that up with a self etching primer of the same brand of top coat paint you're using. BTW the side windsheild trim is aluminum the top is stainless steel. Make sure you follow the instructions on flash time and re-coating o the paint may fail prematurely. Ask me how I know.

Cheers
Steve

The solution is to scuff all the parts with a scotch brite pad. It's perfect for scuffing and prepping for paint on textured surfaces.

OZ DMC
03-03-2016, 09:34 PM
So this Sunday, hopefully, we will be painting the black bits. My dad has a little shop with the correct tools and we have the correct paint. Thanks

For the benefit of a new owner in the process of renovating my "D" - what is the correct paint/s for the black bits?
I assume this is something you can do your self.

OZ DMC

penciltester
03-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Hmmm, ok so is it recommended to just use back to black regularly on the bumpers and mirrors? Has anyone painted them, if so how'd it turn out?

DMCMW Dave and/or soundkillr, are you recommending scuffing the center vents and louvres before painting?

Mluder and DavidProehl thanks for the info and tips as well.

Patrick C
03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Hmmm, ok so is it recommended to just use back to black regularly on the bumpers and mirrors? Has anyone painted them, if so how'd it turn out?

DMCMW Dave and/or soundkillr, are you recommending scuffing the center vents and louvres before painting?

Mluder and DavidProehl thanks for the info and tips as well.

Clean with lacquer thinner and then paint with SEM Trim Black. It will last much longer and look much better than using Mother's Back To Black.

http://www.eastwood.com/trim-paint-satin-black-aerosol-15-oz-net.html?fee=7&fep=52&SRCCODE=GA220010&adpos=1o1&creative=83580269820&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNKgk-6MpssCFZeEaQodbmUNyA

DMCMW Dave
03-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Avoid using Back to Black, etc, especially anything with silicones in it. If you ever do want to paint it later, silicone makes it about impossible to get a good paint finish.

We've had bumpers painted if they were too far gone, but you'll be surprised what you can do with the bumpers using sandpaper gradually up to 1600 grit and then compounding them. The black color goes all the way through.

Yes - sand the side vents and back louver. NOT the little ones at the rear of the quarter glass. NOTE that the finish on the louver is supposed to be very rough. Most painters will get it wrong as they can't believe it is supposed to go on as dry as the factory did it. An NOS louver feels like 200 grit sandpaper to me! Unfortunately the closer you get to the OE finish the worse it will hold up over time. So using the SEM paint at a moderate gloss is a good compromise. Whatever you do, don't paint them with high gloss black paint. That just looks wrong.

PS I've never painted mirrors, and I have seen quite a few that were done and the paint is peeling off.

penciltester
03-04-2016, 12:57 PM
I have SEM black trim paint. Not sure what kind of gloss it is.

Kenny_Z
03-06-2016, 09:48 AM
PS I've never painted mirrors, and I have seen quite a few that were done and the paint is peeling off.

Red's mirrors are painted with SEM trim black after a VERY good scrubbing with Dawn and a proper (directions followed) application of Bulldog adhesion promoter. Three years later and they haven't peeled. I don't have a garage so they bake in the Alabama sun all year round. The front spoiler is peeling though. I apparently didn't do a good job there.