PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door Issue

Brisfx
03-13-2016, 05:14 AM
Need some help, just today closed the drivers door today and now the front lock won't disegage. I go to open the door and the rear lock opens and the front stays locked. Prior to this when i closed the drivers door it would sometimes lock by itself an i had to manually push the inside lock button to open the door.

Really appreciate any suggestions

Elvis
03-13-2016, 06:34 AM
start with adjusting the rods inside the door.

1mm off/slightly bent and you get such a result.

Brisfx
03-13-2016, 06:58 AM
thanks mate do I need to remove all the inside trim? The door is now closed I am reaching in through the window

81dmc
03-13-2016, 10:06 AM
thanks mate do I need to remove all the inside trim? The door is now closed I am reaching in through the window

Open the passenger door and hop over the console. Much easier.

DMCMW Dave
03-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Need some help, just today closed the drivers door today and now the front lock won't disegage. I go to open the door and the rear lock opens and the front stays locked. Prior to this when i closed the drivers door it would sometimes lock by itself an i had to manually push the inside lock button to open the door.

Really appreciate any suggestions

Reclose the door all the way so both latches are latched.

Roll the window down. Reach in from the outside. Rock the lock switch back and forth a time or two, then press hard and hold in the unlock position. Now, while holding the rocker in that position, try to open the door by the outside handle (using your other hand or an assistant). If that doesn't work, try the inside handle (kind of a complex 3-finger exercise but you can do it). One these will usually get the door open.

Once you get there, do the "lock and latch adjustment" procedure in the tech bulletin manual.

If this does not work, you'll have to remove the door panels and manually pull the rods, or figure out what got disconnected.

Timebender
03-13-2016, 06:17 PM
Is there a link for the lock and latch adjustment?

Brisfx
03-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks Dave will try that mate. Really hard to climb over the console, I am 6ft 2 tall and its a Time Machine conversion :)

DMCMW Dave
03-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Is there a link for the lock and latch adjustment?

Yes.

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html

David T
03-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Yes.

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html

Before you can do all of the internal adjustments you must check (and if necessary adjust) the anchor pins. The latches must click simultaneously in both 1st and 2nd locking positions. It may be necessary to remove the latches and clean and relubricate them so they will work smoothly. Before you can adjust the anchor pins you may have to replace the outer door seal if it is all tattered and ripped or the rubber is just dead. The door not operating is usually because it has been forced closed and locked and for some time it is just getting worse and worse till finally it won't open. rarely comes suddenly.

Brisfx
03-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Ok

Had both door panels off sprayed lubricant on the inside of the latches made a slight adjustment of the locking rod and thought i had fixed it and it worked about 3 times then locked myself in again, however, now i can unlock it from the outside with the key just not by pushing the lock button while sitting inside the car

81dmc
03-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Ok

Had both door panels off sprayed lubricant on the inside of the latches made a slight adjustment of the locking rod and thought i had fixed it and it worked about 3 times then locked myself in again, however, now i can unlock it from the outside with the key just not by pushing the lock button while sitting inside the car

I had a problem with my latches a few days ago.

First of all, remove all lock and opening rods from the bellcranks. Next, install and adjust the opening rods where they operate smoothly. Last, you want to install and adjust the lock rods.

David T
03-19-2016, 11:03 AM
It really isn't possible to properly clean and lubricate the latches unless they are removed from the door. You must verify both latches are in second locking position before trying to lock the doors. Most of the problems begin because the anchor pins are not properly adjusted and one of the latches is not in second locking position and then you force the door locked. Once you force the lock you bend and stretch the rods inside the door messing up the adjustments. When everything is adjusted and working well you should not be able to lock the doors if both latches are NOT in the second locking position.

81dmc
03-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Engaging the latches slightly lets the lock pin clear the wedge. This how I can lock my doors, then close them.

Brisfx
03-23-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied, all sorted :)

bfloyd
03-27-2016, 07:35 PM
My drivers side door has had issues both opening and closing ever since I replaced the inner door seals. I've almost got it fixed to a degree, but there is still a "procedure" I have to follow in order to open the door from the outside. It seems my front latch is not fully disengaging from the striker pin, but if I reach down to the front bottom of the door and gently lift while holding up the exterior door handle it will open every time. If I don't do that it won't open. From the inside really isn't an issue getting out, but closing the door requires rolling down the drivers side window and both pulling the grab handle and using the other hand to pull down on the bottom of the window opening to get the door to fully close. If I don't do it that way, I can see daylight out the bottom edge of the door and the "door open" light on the dash stays on.

81dmc
03-27-2016, 07:59 PM
My drivers side door has had issues both opening and closing ever since I replaced the inner door seals. I've almost got it fixed to a degree, but there is still a "procedure" I have to follow in order to open the door from the outside. It seems my front latch is not fully disengaging from the striker pin, but if I reach down to the front bottom of the door and gently lift while holding up the exterior door handle it will open every time. If I don't do that it won't open. From the inside really isn't an issue getting out, but closing the door requires rolling down the drivers side window and both pulling the grab handle and using the other hand to pull down on the bottom of the window opening to get the door to fully close. If I don't do it that way, I can see daylight out the bottom edge of the door and the "door open" light on the dash stays on.

First of all, remove your strikers and have a helper hold your door down. Follow the door seal from inside, and inspect if all gaps are equal between the fiberglass and the door. If that is all fine, first install and adjust the front striker. After you get the door closing properly with the front, do the same for the rear. Remember, you may need to grind the square hole a little larger to allow for more adjustment room. Have a little patience as well.