PDA

View Full Version : Delorean upgrade parts

penciltester
03-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Because of health issues Byrne is hanging up his hat. I spoke with him today. He said they still have inventory and seemed open to orders but said he would have someone else taking care of the process.

81dmc
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Damn, I guess I'll order an extra set of torsion bars while they're still available...

Dangermouse
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info

RamblinDMC
03-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Does anyone have Byrne's contact info? I want to ask about window regulators.

Thanks

Rich
03-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Does anyone have Byrne's contact info? I want to ask about window regulators.

Thanks

This contact info may be stale but you can try: http://deloreantech.wikia.com/wiki/Heninger_and_Associates,_Inc

His website says "closed".

RamblinDMC
03-17-2016, 09:01 PM
That email address was no good. :/

Lou and "Boo"
03-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Best of luck to Byrne and his family on his retirement.

Chris 16409
03-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Went back onto Byrne's site and the message has changed:

It looks like he is not closing up shop just yet. Maybe he got a lot of feedback from the DeLorean community and changed his mind? I was able to do a phone order with him. I wanted to get a pair of his torsion bars before it was too late.

Patrick C
03-28-2016, 06:05 PM
I spoke with Byrne on the phone tonight. He said that there has been a change of plans, and they will be keeping the business open after all. Great news for all of us!

81dmc
03-28-2016, 06:12 PM
:yesss:

Andrew
04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Great news indeed! I'm running Byrne's LCA's on 5052 and a door torsion unit on 4194. Both are well engineered and high quality. I look forward to buying more parts from him in the future!

content22207_2
05-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Just got off the phone with Byrne. He currently has three cars in his shop for carb conversions. He's run into some technical difficulties and asked me to drive down in the service truck to help finish them up. We're shooting for the end of the month (I've got to finish my own conversions first).

I've never seen his current intake manifolds in person (modified K-Jet manifolds), so this will be interesting. Last time I was down there he was running a carb mounted where the fuel/air mixture unit used to be, mated to an otherwise stock K-Jet manifold:

Bill Robertson

Citizen
05-08-2016, 08:46 AM
There are more and more cars going carb. I wonder what the count is. I was keeping a count of engine conversion on my DeLorean statistics page here (http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/vinview_TOTALS.asp), but now I wonder if I should start a new category specifically for carb conversions.

Thomas

Parzval
05-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Why are there so many cars going carb these days? I could see back in the day when fuel injection was in it's infancy... I did the same thing. But these days, FI is so much better. I can't imagine we couldn't pick something off a modern car and plunk it on there and have a sweet, reliable system with readily available parts. :confused0:

Drive Stainless
05-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Why are there so many cars going carb these days? I could see back in the day when fuel injection was in it's infancy... I did the same thing. But these days, FI is so much better. I can't imagine we couldn't pick something off a modern car and plunk it on there and have a sweet, reliable system with readily available parts. :confused0:

You could plunk it from an Eagle Premier, but you would have to swap the ignition system also, and that's where you would hit a wall because the DeLorean is odd-fire.

content22207_2
05-08-2016, 04:56 PM
In his "shop" (3 car garage) Byrne typically caters to older owners who are off the online community grid. Byrne got into the business right around the turn of the 90's (aka Windows 3.1). At that time the Internet was what cafeteria ladies wore on their heads. It's a somewhat different clientele than Josh Bengston deals with. Byrne sells to anyone of course, but it's generally older owners who seek him out.

Rich in upstate New York bought a car with a Heninger carb conversion already on it. He can provide more details. I've only ever seen Byrne's personal car.

Bill Robertson

content22207_2
05-08-2016, 05:06 PM
That said, most of the owners I have helped are younger than myself, some by 5-10 years, but a couple weren't even born in 1990. They would have to answer themselves why they chose carburetion.

Bill Robertson

Andrew
05-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Some of us, such as myself, prefer carburetion over fuel injection. While there are many possible reasons to prefer one over the other here are my personal reasons for preferring carburetion:

1. Simplicity (why make something more complicated than it needs to be)
2. Ease of adjustment / repair.
3. Lower fuel pressures.
4. Reliability.
5. Cost.

Perhaps my paradigms and preferences on fuel delivery are based upon the fact that I started working on cars in the mid 1990s. The carbed cars of the 70's and early 80's that I worked on were generally simple and easy to service with basic tools. The same couldn't be said for the fuel injected cars. For that very reason, my current daily driver is an 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado, with a carbed 307 V8. :-)

For the record, my carbed DeLorean is running a dual Solex system sourced from a 1977 Peugeot 604.

durech
05-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Just browsed over to Byrne's website and it appears to be operational again. Only a few products being offered, but the most important and probably most ordered ones :thumbup: