PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Con

DeLorean6934
08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Anyone going to dragon con next week?

sean
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Not I, but please takes lots of pictures.

jackb
08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Next week already? Damn, I'm in school in Brunswick, the pace is like a firehose to the face. No way I'll be able to make it. I barely have time for sleep, homework or studying.

nullset
08-22-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm strongly hoping to have 2930 rolling by then, for the parade.

If not, 2072 will still be there :)

--buddy

QuadcityDMC
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll be there, 10th year for me. Doing James Bond stuff.

DL4567
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I'll be there, 10th year for me. Doing James Bond stuff.

What Bond stuff are you doing?

QuadcityDMC
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Just Pierce Brosnan (Goldeneye) stuff. Maybe some Star Wars and WWII also.

DL4567
08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Ha! No kidding..... I went as Pierce Brosnan Bond for 2 or 3 years. People loved it but then stinking Daniel Craig took over. Got any pics?

DeLorean6934
08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
i was debaiting on putting the bttf props back on my car for it (the props i used for the fox 5 shoot) this will be my girl and i's first time ever going to this thing. does anyone think this is a good idea or is it going to be hell for parking?

QuadcityDMC
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
No photos yet, doing the suit he wears in the tank, Tuxedo, Worlds not enough suit, and Tomorrow never dies opening cold weather jacket. My brother is doing new bond stuff.

Jakb
If you are going to have the car in the parade then yes, bring it. If not and you are staying at one of the hotels I would leave it at home, there will be over 25,000 people at the con.

The parade might be setup and my not be taken any new cars for it, but I would call DragonCon and see.

nullset
08-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I registered to have a vehicle in the parade. I don't know which one it'll be, yet.

*goes back to work putting 2930 together*

--buddy

sphiend
08-22-2011, 11:25 PM
I will be there. Would love to meet up with some of you if anyone is interested. Planning to leave D at home. Parking isn't conducive (IMO) but some hotels like Hyatt might let you park out front for short periods. One of the ecto's parked out there last year for display purposes.

It would be pretty cool to have a good showing of local cars in the parade.

If anyone wants to meet up, PM me here and we can exchange contact info.

QuadcityDMC
08-22-2011, 11:28 PM
If you search for DargonCon 2011 parade on YouTube or DragonCon.org you can see the Delorean towards the end. I'm in the Video with the WWII group as the US Bomber Pilot, walking next to the Japanese pilot.

DL4567
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
No photos yet, doing the suit he wears in the tank, Tuxedo, Worlds not enough suit, and Tomorrow never dies opening cold weather jacket. My brother is doing new bond stuff.

Dang dude! That's a lot of Pierce costumes! He is my favorite Bond and I'm a huge Bond fan in general, so hopefully I'll get to see you there at some point.

Nicholas R
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I registered to have a vehicle in the parade. I don't know which one it'll be, yet.

*goes back to work putting 2930 together*

--buddy

No way! Thats awesome. I registered to drive 1643 also! I'll actually be with a Doctor Who group though. I'll be driving as 10th Doctor. (David Tennant). Hoping to have a few others as well. See you there!

nullset
08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
No way! Thats awesome. I registered to drive 1643 also! I'll actually be with a Doctor Who group though. I'll be driving as 10th Doctor. (David Tennant). Hoping to have a few others as well. See you there!

Great, now I _have_ to get 2930 running, so she'll stand apart! :)

They'll probably put our two cars close together……

Make sure the parade organizer knows you have a delorean….. :)

--buddy

Nicholas R
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Great, now I _have_ to get 2930 running, so she'll stand apart! :)

They'll probably put our two cars close together……

Make sure the parade organizer knows you have a delorean….. :)

--buddy

I told him. I was also very clear that it was NOT a BTTF replica. I hope 2930 makes it! Either way, see you there. I'll be the other guy with the shiny car. I'll probably be dressed like this:

sean
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
It's looking like buddy will be there with his ride, anyone else in the parade?

Dangermouse
09-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Ok, didn’t think I would ever say this, but it looks like I am going to go down to DC on Saturday. My son and his buddy want to see the parade, so I’ll be looking out for our Buddy and Quad City.

Question – is there anything else a non-paying sightseer can do/see without being registered? Can you do a walk-in registration to walk around the convention?

QuadcityDMC
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll be in the parade as a WWII paratrooper next to Captain America.

Ryan
09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Question – is there anything else a non-paying sightseer can do/see without being registered? Can you do a walk-in registration to walk around the convention?

I went a couple years ago and just walked around to the shops and different things without paying. There is still a good bit to see.

Dangermouse
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I'll be in the parade as a WWII paratrooper next to Captain America.

With the D?

nullset
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Ok, didn’t think I would ever say this, but it looks like I am going to go down to DC on Saturday. My son and his buddy want to see the parade, so I’ll be looking out for our Buddy and Quad City.

After the parade, I'd head over to the food court for some people watching.

You should be able to walk around after the parade. The hotels should be open, and there may be some bands playing in public spaces, etc.

--buddy

nullset
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Also, take marta! Park at a marta station and take it down to peachtree center. Traffic will be horrible.

--buddy

Dangermouse
09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Also, take marta! Park at a marta station and take it down to peachtree center. Traffic will be horrible.

--buddy

Yep! First thing I looked at :)

Dangermouse
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
lol, just discovered that it is also Black Gay Pride weekend in Atlanta. Hope I watch the right parade

:yoda: or ..... hey, where did that "gay" smilie go?

sphiend
09-03-2011, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=Nicholas R;15708]I told him. I was also very clear that it was NOT a BTTF replica. I hope 2930 makes it! Either way, see you there. I'll be the other guy with the shiny car. I'll probably be dressed like this:/QUOTE]

Nick,

Nice to meet you. Sorry we didn't get to grab lunch. Have a few photos of you in parade. Will try to remember to post them next week.

sean
09-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like buddy made it on access Atlanta:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/05/22/00/slideshow_1002253834_38-dragoncon.0904.jpg

Nicholas R
09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Nick,

Nice to meet you. Sorry we didn't get to grab lunch. Have a few photos of you in parade. Will try to remember to post them next week.

Hey it was great to meet you guy's as well! Bummer we didn't get to meet up again. Definitely post a the pics; you're about the only person at the parade taking pictures that I knew. Otherwise I have to rely on finding pics through google.

This is the only one I've found so far:
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/210588-cosplay-for-your-eyeballs-from-dragon-con-2011-day-2/Day2DCon2011-17-noscale.jpg

Dangermouse
09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Well I didn't make the parade on Saturday :(. A friend of mine was going so I may get some decent photos on Tuesday.

Went down to D*C today just to have a look around and all I can say is WOW. Pretty cool just to people watch and let my kids get their pics taken with a bunch of great people. The only people I thought I might see were Buddy and Derek, but never saw them. I was dressed as middle-aged-white-guy and I must say I pulled it off quite well.

Kids were so impressed they have decided to attend properly next year.

Saw that christopher Lloyd was doing a photo shoot and I checked out the attendees waiting for that. Some pretty poor BTTF costumes I must say unfortunately. Hopefully no-one on here

sean
09-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Found a good one of buddy here http://atlanta.metromix.com/events/standard_photo_gallery/dragoncon-parade-2011/2801715/content

sphiend
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey it was great to meet you guy's as well! Bummer we didn't get to meet up again. Definitely post a the pics; you're about the only person at the parade taking pictures that I knew. Otherwise I have to rely on finding pics through google.

Posted all the shots I have of you and Buddy. Unfortunately, 2930 was more on the other side of the street and had a number of people blocking my view. (plus my camera is somewhat old and slow)

If for any reason either of you would like me to remove any of these photos, please let me know ASAP and I will do that.

Nicholas R
09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for posting man! Awesome pics!

DL4567
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Just wanted to share the costumes my friend and I did this year. Part 2 on Fri/Sat, and Part 1 on Sunday night.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7268/derekjasonpart2750x482.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/122/derekjasonpart1750x569.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5120/bttfgroupshot640x512.jpg

Ryan
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Strickland looks like he is getting ready to take you down!

DL4567
09-08-2011, 10:13 PM
James Tolkan (Strickland) is the nicest guy you could meet. I had already met him once at DCS 2006 in Chicago, and he was just as friendly this time. I felt kind of bad for him when we first got near the photo area because most people getting the "group" picture were only posing with Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson. James Tolkan was standing off to the side. When it was our turn for the picture and we walked in front of the camera, the ticket guy didn't notice or care that we specified all 3 stars for our picture, and so I called over to James saying we wanted him in the picture too. You should have seen him light up!

sphiend
09-09-2011, 10:01 PM
James Tolkan (Strickland) is the nicest guy you could meet. I had already met him once at DCS 2006 in Chicago, and he was just as friendly this time. I felt kind of bad for him when we first got near the photo area because most people getting the "group" picture were only posing with Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson. James Tolkan was standing off to the side. When it was our turn for the picture and we walked in front of the camera, the ticket guy didn't notice or care that we specified all 3 stars for our picture, and so I called over to James saying we wanted him in the picture too. You should have seen him light up!

I know that this is blasphemy but I was not all that impressed with Christopher Lloyd. Went to one panel with Tolken and Lloyd and didn't leave feeling impressed. I later had him sign my BTTF toy DeLorean and he didn't really say a word. Perhaps he is just shy. Guess I am just used to more outgoing celebs.

DL4567
09-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I know that this is blasphemy but I was not all that impressed with Christopher Lloyd. Went to one panel with Tolken and Lloyd and didn't leave feeling impressed. I later had him sign my BTTF toy DeLorean and he didn't really say a word. Perhaps he is just shy. Guess I am just used to more outgoing celebs.

Not blasphemy at all. My thoughts were very similar. I was very nervous on the way to meeting him, as the old saying goes "never meet your heroes," it was definitely a risk. If some celebs aren't too friendly, ok, whatever, but when you meet one of the stars from your top favorite movie ever, and the experience is disappointing, it can really ruin things and make you never look at your favorite movie the same way again.

It's a damn good thing I've read and heard over and over the last couple years that he's really shy in person, very quiet, etc... so the experience meeting him did not surprise me. Had I not heard all that beforehand, I definitely would have had a feeling of "geez, what was his problem? Not too friendly at all." But given my expectations, it went as well as it could have. After signing a picture and my BTTF book, he at least reached out to shake my hand, and listened to me rattle off a quick "honor to meet you, bla bla bla." I hated the time pressure with such a long line behind me. Even with spending such a short time with each visitor, he still could have showed more personality though. I went to his panel on Sunday, and enjoyed that pretty well. At least it gave me a feeling of having spent more time "with" him in person than just a few seconds.

The friendliest and most outgoing celeb I've ever met was Alan Ruck at Dragoncon 2 years ago. I walked up to him dressed as Cameron, and the whole experience was so cool that my friends and I walked away feeling like a million bucks. Great guy.

thirdmanj
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Get that Doctor Who coat by way of www.abbyshot.com ? They make some great stuff there! I had the privilege of being able to name one of their glove lines, and am the proud owner of two coats, a leather jacket modeled after the Rocketeer Jacket and a Matrix "Lobby Trench".

Nicholas R
04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Get that Doctor Who coat by way of www.abbyshot.com ? They make some great stuff there! I had the privilege of being able to name one of their glove lines, and am the proud owner of two coats, a leather jacket modeled after the Rocketeer Jacket and a Matrix "Lobby Trench".

Yes it's the abbeyshot Dr Who coat, however its an old one. I believe they've made changes to it since. (especially now that it's sold at thinkgeek) I think the newer one is darker and more accurate (which I actually wish mine was). It's still got the blue and orange interior, it just always seems a bit light in color. I'd like to find a way to darken it.

I bought it when it was only like $150 and now its like doubled in price.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421369_10100443866425135_21412543_46233690_1435253 557_n.jpg

dvonk
04-30-2012, 12:53 AM

AbbyShot is awesome. i first discovered their website c. 2002, when they were only selling the original "Lobby Trench" and a couple other items in their entire product line (remember the Blade trench?). in those days, all their items were custom-tailored only and you had to send in all your measurements. you could also choose fabric material (or leather!) and lining material.

ive always wanted one but could never bring myself to drop so much cash on a single article of clothing. there is no doubt in my mind, however, that they are top-notch quality. i did see a guy in a "Lobby Reloaded" c. 2004, it looked super-sweet. he was surprised when i asked him if he got it from AbbyShot. :hihi2:

sphiend
04-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes it's the abbeyshot Dr Who coat, however its an old one. I believe they've made changes to it since. (especially now that it's sold at thinkgeek) I think the newer one is darker and more accurate (which I actually wish mine was). It's still got the blue and orange interior, it just always seems a bit light in color. I'd like to find a way to darken it.

I bought it when it was only like $150 and now its like doubled in price.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421369_10100443866425135_21412543_46233690_1435253 557_n.jpg

Hey Nicholas, you coming down this year? Would like to actually arrange a dinner or something if you are.

Nicholas R
05-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Hey Nicholas, you coming down this year? Would like to actually arrange a dinner or something if you are.

I'm not sure right now. This fall I'm starting graduate school and the school is on semesters, meaning they start in August before DragonCon happens. Last fall, because the school was on quarters, classes didn't start until late September, long after DragonCon. I'm not sure if I'll be able to break away this time around. I'll certainly let you know though if I do make the trip.