PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Fuze 6 keeps blowing

RichG
03-25-2016, 11:29 AM
When I took my car out of storage recently, I noticed my horns and hazard blinkers were not working. I looked at the fuse diagram and saw fuse #6 is associated with the horn and hazzards. I checked the fuse box and fuse 6 was blown. So, I changed it with a new fuse. I started the carand heard a strange noise. I turned off the car and saw that fuse #6 blew again right away. So, I probably have a short somewhere.

Several months ago, the horns of my car were submerged in water during a particularly bad rain storm. The horns barely made a sound immediately after that incident. My best guess is that that horns are completely shorted now. I recently ordered new horns and will replace them along with fuse #6 to try again.

Any other thoughts on how I could diagnose and resolve this issue?

Also, my defrost button no longer works. By any chance, is that associated with fuse #6 as well?

Many thanks!

DMCVegas
03-25-2016, 11:35 AM
If you think the horns are the culprit, you could of course unplug them, then replace that fuse to see if it still blows. That would tell you right away.

Otherwise, start by checking each of your light sockets for corrosion and make sure nothing is bridged by rust to short things out.

Exactly how deep was the water BTW your car was in?

RichG
03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
If I can reach the horns, I'll unplug them as suggested and try again. Thanks for the idea.

I believe the lights (low beams and high beams) are both on their own fuses. Not sure how they might be related to this problem, but I'll check.

The car was parked on an incline (nose facing downward). Water had grown deep enough that the horns were submerged before I was alerted and had a chance to move the car back into the safety of my garage.

DMCVegas
03-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Take a look at the wiring diagram. Fuse 6 feeds not only the horns, but also the entire stalk for turn signals & dip beam relays, as well as the Hazard Light Switch. Though no, I don't believe the headlights per se are causing this issue.

So I would check the turn signal sockets front and back, as well as the relay sockets too as a possibility later on.

The big thing is that none of this really gets automatic power as soon as the key is turned. You would have to press something to close the individual circuits. So if the horns were bad for example, merely turning the key on wouldn't blow the fuse. Nor would activating your turn signals or high beams. But if as soon as you pressed the horn button on the stalk, THEN a dead-short would occur and blow said fuse. Same thing with other circuits.

If as soon as you plug the fuse in it blows though, THEN you've probably got another problem on your hands. For something like that, I'd then move to pulling and inspecting the hazard button first, and then tracing everything down from there. But starting with the obvious first, I'd pull those horns and start there. Again, definitely check you wiring diagram. But first, start by disconnecting those horns.

hmcelraft
03-25-2016, 10:54 PM
All of the suggestions indicate lots of things could be wrong but -- have you messed at all with the flasher switch? Or radio, where you could have bumped the flasher switch? The power feed goes there first and the various grounds in that switch can cause the problem you are experiencing - sometimes immediately and often as a ghost problem (the fuse blows every once in a while). Be sure the switch has not melted or deformed or the rear gang-plug wires become damaged or pinched.

RichG
03-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the input.

Nope, I haven't messed with the flasher switch. It worked fine when I placed the car in storage several months ago. When I took it out of storage, the flasher stopped working. The only event that transpired betwen was when my horns became wet. I'm really hoping my horns are the culprit because a replacement set is on the way.

hmcelraft
03-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the input.

Nope, I haven't messed with the flasher switch. It worked fine when I placed the car in storage several months ago. When I took it out of storage, the flasher stopped working. The only event that transpired betwen was when my horns became wet. I'm really hoping my horns are the culprit because a replacement set is on the way.

I would be surprised if the horns are your problem. You would have to activate the horns before an electrical issue would present itself. If fuse 6 blows--- the flashers should still work. You may want to see if the switch may have come apart internally which would, in most cases, cause the fuse 6 input to make a ground connection. Good luck!

RichG
03-31-2016, 02:56 PM
The new horns arrived. I haven't raised the nerve to jack up the front of the car to replace them yet.

But, in other news... the defrost button not working was an unrelated issue. I pulled the defrost switch out and cleaned the contacts. Boom. Works now.

DMC5180
04-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Fuse 6 also provides feed power to The Key/seat belt logic buzzer: This is activated if you leave the key IN and open the door or if the key is ON and don't fasten the seatbelt. If you still have this plugged in ( unplug it ) and try a new fuse 6. It's a simple process of elimination. If the fuse doesn't blow you know the issue its likely the buzzer is shorted out internally. I had one go bad that caused my fuse 6 to blow. I just unplugged it and eventually removed it entirely.

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Try pulling the two screws that hold the shifter plate down on the center console. I had a taillight fuse blow out because one of those screws cut into a wire.

DMCMW Dave
04-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Try pulling the two screws that hold the shifter plate down on the center console. I had a taillight fuse blow out because one of those screws cut into a wire.

That's a pretty fun one to find. We had one not long ago with the same issue but it made the car refuse to start. I don't recall which circuit exactly.

RichG
04-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Fuse 6 also provides feed power to The Key/seat belt logic buzzer: This is activated if you leave the key IN and open the door or if the key is ON and don't fasten the seatbelt. If you still have this plugged in ( unplug it ) and try a new fuse 6. It's a simple process of elimination. If the fuse doesn't blow you know the issue its likely the buzzer is shorted out internally. I had one go bad that caused my fuse 6 to blow. I just unplugged it and eventually removed it entirely.

Interesting. The buzzer (if I have one plugged in) hasn't worked since I purchased the car in 1998. Judging by a schematic at delorean.com, it looks like I can find the buzzer by removing the top plate behind the steering wheel (Part Number:101986). Correct?

If I replace Fuse #6, get in the car, close the doors, and then put the key in the ON position and fuse #6 doesn't blow -- I think that would mean the buzzer is the culprit. Even more so if I were to then open the doors and then observe fuse #6 blow at that point. Will try. Thx.

RichG
04-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Scenario:
Battery is connected
Key is not in ignition
Nothing is turned on
The doors are closed

I took out the burnt #6 fuse. As soon as I inserted a new 20 fuse for #6, it blew. I couldn't believe it, so I tried again with the same results.

I took the bottom panel off from under the steering wheel and attached 2 pics. I don't see a buzzer switch. Am I looking in the right area?

81dmc
04-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Scenario:
Battery is connected
Key is not in ignition
Nothing is turned on
The doors are closed

I took out the burnt #6 fuse. As soon as I inserted a new 20 fuse for #6, it blew. I couldn't believe it, so I tried again with the same results.

I took the bottom panel off from under the steering wheel and attached 2 pics. I don't see a buzzer switch. Am I looking in the right area?

It is underneath the dash. If you use a flashlight, you will see it near the flasher relay.

DMC5180
04-20-2016, 09:26 PM
It's mounted to the left side of the steering column support behind the left knee pad. There is a triangular plate with the wiper delay control box, hazard/signal flasher and buzzer mounted to it.

This is what you are looking for:

http://store.delorean.com/p-7012-seat-belt-warning-unit.aspx

Dennis

RichG
04-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Dennis. I had a look a couple days ago under the dash and didn't see it. I'll take another look tonight thanks to your description.

All - I noticed that my seat belt light no longer works. I took a look at the DeLorean's wiring diagram. If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the seat belt is also on Fuse #6... so no surprise there.

DMC5180
04-21-2016, 11:39 AM
You can also remove the paper flex duct that blows out the knee pad. When that is remove you have a pretty clear view at things just looking through the opening. It saves you from going on your head in the foot well. The duct pulls off from the back side. Just reach up and push forward to pop it off the ring.

Dennis

David T
04-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Pull the wires off the door switches on the driver's door. Strange things can happen if you cross-connect them accidentally. The wires are taped together in pairs but they can get mixed up. See if that helps.

RichG
04-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks to Tom and Dave, my broken directional stalk was replaced at the spring social... and that also resolved my fuse #6 issue. Tom was able to pull the steering wheel off without a puller!

DMC5180
04-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Nothing better than a tech day/ social to get things fixed.

Dennis